Looking for info on w/c transportation in Bermuda

qman76

Hi,

I'm going to Bermuda in Oct on the RCI's Voyager of the Sea, I would like to see the Country sites. I've read the thread from Debjo dated May 11, 2004

"we've secured an wheel-chair accessible van and driver to "tour" the Bermuda islands." My question is, where and who do I need to contact to secure the wheel-chair van formy trip. Thanks.

Hi there. I was born in Bermuda and still have family that live there. My uncle was a taxi driver and he did advise that there are wheelchair accessible taxis available. There may not be many but I am sure that you would be fine. I would definitely plan ahead and try to contact some agencies through the website.

My husband uses an electric chair and I have been meaning to take him to Bermuda so he can see where I was born but I too have been concerned about access. I will say that from what I can remember when I was there about five years ago is that there are lots of steep hills and not everything is easily accessed. Many of the beaches and such have steps down to them or steep slops. I am not saying that you shouldn't go to Bermuda because it is absolutely gorgeous and I think that any challenge you might be faced with could be overcome with only slight inconvienence.

Try out this website....http://www.access.bm/

Good luck and enjoy your trip it will be worth it!

April

I want to thank you for your responses, I have come acrossed both web sites, the access.com was lasted updated in March 2003 and I've tryed contacting Keith Simmons, but no response. Bermuda-online.org has a lot of info, but very little on transportation. I'm very adventurous, and want to try to see the wonderful sites the island has to show. Sunnyam, would you be so kind to ask your uncle if the taxi service has a e-mail address or their phone number, so that I can contact them? When I get back, I'll write up my travels of who to contact, where to go & where NOT to go. I'm looking for to the challenge, I hope my aid will be up for it. Thanks again, S

You can also check out this site:

http://www.berudayp.com

This is the yellow pages for Bermuda Businesses. Just key in Taxis in the search and it will bring up the Taxi Services in Bermuda. You will see one that says Wheelchair Taxi Service and it gives you an address, phone number and even web address to write to for more information.

Hope this helps.

We are going to Bermuda in November on VOS out of Bayonne NJ. We surprised my sister and her husband with tickets for them to join us as their christmas present last year. She is on oxygen 24/7 and this will be their first cruise.

I have learned so much information with "traveling with oxygen" by other great people sharing their knowledge and experiences.

I am glad I could finally help someone else out.

Take care.

Archived