Chefmakers Cooking classes

I had questions about the Chefmakers cooking classes offered on the FOS. I am interested in hearing from someone who has taken a class. How long are the classes. Do you feel it was worthwhile. Did you feel like you could make the dishes at home after taking the class? Would you take one again. I also would like to know how much each class costs.

We took the class on the Liberty. There were just two of us in the class so we got lots of one on one attention. We received (and were able to keep) nice aprons. They offerred wine during the class and we each received a full bottle to take with us.

We made crab cakes, lamb chops, a puff pastry dessert, plantains wrapped in bacon...can't recall what else. Not what I would consider advanced so yes, you could easily repeat at home. We made a ton of food so we took a large plate to dinner and shared with our family and friends.

The executive chef came out and we were able to get photos with him.

At one point we were in a small section of the kitchen which was nice.

I think we paid about 125? Not sure exactly but we did pay full price. They offered the classes at a lower price once on board but I don' think they gave you the wine (and apron??).

Anyway, I probably won't do it again but it was very much fun to do one time.

We did the Small Bites class in August on Freedom and it was fun! It was the same class debmarie took, as it had the same menu. We paid $90 apiece. Here is the full menu for the Small Bites class:

Avocado & Salsa Bruschetta, Bacon Wrapped Plantains, Lemon Lamb Chops, Crab Cakes with a Chili Remoulade Sauce and Mini Puff Pastry Turnovers.

(We've actually made 2 of these since coming home - the bruschetta and the bacon wrapped plantains.:))

The class took about 2 hours. One thing we didn't like is that they changed the time from 5:00 to 6:00pm - we got a notice in our cabin about the time change. This was not so much a problem for our late MDR time, but it was on the same evening as the past guest reception with the Captain, so we ended up arriving late for that.

The classroom/prep area is set up in the front of the Windjammer in front of the bar, and we used a kitchen in the WJ. We got copies of the recipes and aprons, plus a lot of food to share with others. Wine was served during the class.

We would probably do it again! Our only issue was the late time of the class, so if we do it again we'll choose one in the middle of the day.

If you look at your cruise reservation, you can find the Chefmakers classes on the left and see what they offer on your sailing. I think it's under Specialty Dining, but I'm not positive! (Just tried to look at my rezzies to check that, and I can't get into them right now.) The classes are all on sea days.

Here's a link to the catalog of classes: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/chefmaker_classes.pdf

This sounds great ... my wife and I will be on the Freedom next month, and have signed up for both the Thai Beef and the Chocolate Fun classes. Learning a couple of new cooking tips, plus some free mimosas, always is a blast.

Michael

Archived