Only 1 week of vacation time, all expenses paid cruise or one you've been planning?

CamaCama

My vote is the family cruise. We did a cruise about five years ago with my in-laws. It was their first cruise and unfortunately looks like their last. My father-in-law's health has been on a steady decline since and at this stage of the game we might be lucky if he makes it to the end of this year. Everytime we go over, both of my in-laws remark on what a wonderful time they had with us and wish they had done it sooner. My father-in-law still talks about everything with a big smile on this face and thanks us all the time for doing something so simple as spending time with them. These memories that you are making with them, will be with you and them for the rest of your lives. Don't give it up just because of the ship or itenerary. They are getting up in years and you are still very young and have plenty of more cruising years ahead of you.

As far as the Monarch is concerned, let me tell you that this past March my dh and I decided we needed a quick get away because of all the stress and I booked us on the Monarch for a four day. Hubby was just "ok" with it. I have to tell you that we have been on the Mariner, Explorer the Oasis and will be going on the Freedom this coming March. What cruise does my husband says was his favorite.... The Monarch. He just couldn't believe how relaxed everything was, and what a great staff they have. Yes, the ship is older, but it has been referbished this past year and oh my were there a lot of kids.

Enjoy what ever you decide to do.

Can DH and DD go with the family and you all go at thanksgiving? I know they invited you to but since you only get one week you can call it a comprimise. You will miss them when they are with the in laws but they can still spend time with dd and dh

Well, I guess I am wondering how it will be perceived, if you opt out of the family trip (especially since it is a "gift" for the family)... In all honesty, I would go on the family trip and maybe even extend a few days and go to Disney World, and cruise the next year, on the ship that you really want.

I vote for the family. The in-laws are probably tired of hosting big family get-togethers with all the work required cooking and providing housekeeping services for a big crowd. A family cruise would be a wonderful alternative to the typical family vacation where everyone crowds into one house, watches TV all week, and visits the same local attractions they have seen several times before.

I don't think it matters where the ship goes--just stay onboard and enjoy the ship together, or select one short excursion that everyone can enjoy.

Family! This way you won't regret it if you don't go. It's always more fun travelling with family and friends - you get to see it "through their eyes" and enjoy the shared memories/laughs long after the cruise is over.

I would also think about ways you can try to do both with your work. Are there holidays you can take and combine? Can you take a day or two without pay or work a holiday so you can take time off? When there is a "will"...

We've travelled peak Spring Break and Thanksgiving and the ship only holds so many people - go and ENJOY no matter what week! Life is what you make of it!

Archived