Weather in NE Canada Oct 13-24

DaveOKC

Last minute packing and cannot decide on which coat/jackets/sweaters to take. We are going from Montreal to Bar Harbor, Maine and onto Florida. Forecasts through Oct 20 show highs in the 56-58 range (lows in the low 40s) with rain for about half the days. Otct 21-25 we are in Sydne, Halifax, St. Johns NB, and Bar Harbor but no forecasts that far out.

I was thinking of taking a heavy all weather jacket, but was wondering if this was a bit overkill and perhaps a lighter jacket with sweater would work just as well and take up alot less suitcase space.

In St Johns we will be doing the St MArtins and Bay of Fundy tour, which requires walking on the Bay floor during low tide (and I really want to see the sea caves).

Thoughts?

Weather in Canada/the North East is difficult to predict at this time of year. The general rule is layers. By way of example: two days ago we had highs in the upper 70s (26C) now we're back down to upper 50s (15C) and rainy. We are now into the period of time where frost is possible. In late, late October we get into the period where snow is possible in the evenings.

Warm sweaters and a jacket will probably work for your iterinerary except maybe by the ocean. It can get nippy by the water especially if it is a cooler cloudy day. I've often found Boston to be a lot colder than inland/urbanized cities like Montreal or Ottawa.

Maybe bring your wind jacket, warm sweaters, and think about bringing gloves or a touque/hat. They are small and easy to pack. Make sure your jacket is water proof.

Part of this depends on where you're coming from and your tollerance for cooler weather. A few winters ago I was in LA and comfortably in jeans and a t-shirt while locals were bundled up with sweaters and jackets.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I didn't want yoru post to go unanswered.

Thanks for the response - it makes good sense and I think thats what I will do. I live in Oklahoma, which has hot summers and mild to fairly cold winters, so I can handle temp. changes. Also, I lived in Minnesota for a few years where it gets to -30 F.

DaveOKC

Last minute packing and cannot decide on which coat/jackets/sweaters to take. We are going from Montreal to Bar Harbor, Maine and onto Florida. Forecasts through Oct 20 show highs in the 56-58 range (lows in the low 40s) with rain for about half the days. Otct 21-25 we are in Sydne, Halifax, St. Johns NB, and Bar Harbor but no forecasts that far out.

I was thinking of taking a heavy all weather jacket, but was wondering if this was a bit overkill and perhaps a lighter jacket with sweater would work just as well and take up alot less suitcase space.

In St Johns we will be doing the St MArtins and Bay of Fundy tour, which requires walking on the Bay floor during low tide (and I really want to see the sea caves).

Thoughts?

Just for clarification if it comes up, St. Johns is in Newfoundland, another Canadian maritime Province. You are going rather to Saint John, New Brunswick

Archived