Special things onboard for Christmas?

riggins

Hi Everyone-

The last two years, we have spent Christmas onboard the Disney Magic and have had a truly "magical" holiday thanks in large part to the special things that DCL did - kids caroling, tree lighting ceremony, making gingerbread houses, visit from Santa, etc. This year, we're going to be on the Westerdam for Christmas and I'm trying to set my expectations for what kind of special events to expect on HAL. Can anyone who has sailed on Christmas day fill me in on any special happenings around the ship?

Thanks!!

Two or three years ago we sailed with friends on the Eurodam for Christmas. They had caroling at the tree-lighting ceremony, and a visit from Santa for the kids. The Christmas Eve show was the staff singing carols and a beautiful candle-lit procession in the showroom. There weren't a lot of decorations, but it was understated and nice.

Years ago we were on the Statendam in St. Thomas for Christmas Eve day. Just before the ship got underway we were all amazed to see Santa waving and circling the ship in a helicopter! I'm not sure how they pulled that off as Santa should have been too busy at the North Pole. I asked the CD about it, but all I got in response was the twinkle in his eye ;)

Hi Riggins,

We will be on the Westerdam with you! We have done quite a few Christmas cruises (several on the Westerdam) and they are all slightly different as far as decor, etc but there are some standards: Christmas Eve there will be caroling (complete with hot chocolate and cookies!), either Christmas eve or Christmas Day will be formal (since we dock on the 26th, guessing it will be Christmas eve), the staff do a candlelight carol sing and there are midnight services - both mass and non-denominational. On Christmas morning they usually have eggnog available and there is always a visit from Santa - sometimes the arrival can be quite a feat.

Look forward to meeting you on the 18th and hope that you enjoy holiday cruising as much as we do!

Michelle

Archived