Dolphin Encounter at Chankanaab National Park

diviney87

Just curious. Have any of you even looked at information on these type of places or are they just there for your entertainment?

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/captive_marine/facts/swim_dolphins.html

http://www.prijatelji-zivotinja.hr/index.en.php?id=801

Yes, I just registered to post this. I ran across it looking at Cozumel info. If it upsets anyone...well, sorry, but the dolphin and stingray prisons disgust me and if you cared about them you would not support them. No, I'm not a cruiser, never been on one and don't plan to. Just not a fan of the BUBs (Big Ugly Boats) so you don't have to worry about meeting me and I probably won't be back here, but if this does make some of you stop and think, then that's a good thing.

Do the dolphins (and your kids) a favor and go dive, snorkle or take a boat ride. Maybe you will see dolphins and other marine life as it's meant to be.

Ok...I'll get off my soapbox now. Hope you all have safe and happy trips.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering what other reasons would a ship not port other than weather. Does this happen often? I have been thinking about booking directly on the website, but knowing my luck something will happen and I will loose all my money.

• 2 weeks later...

Chanknaab Dolphin swim was fun for kids.

Participants were allowed to carry own waterproof camera.

The whole thing from registration, instructions, etc. was running late and seemed bit disorganized (next time would try Dolphinaris).

Observer fee is $5 to see next to swim pen. (no photography allowed)

They wanted more for photographs then what we paid for 2 swim adventure tickets.

We spent only 4 hours at the park but you could easily spend the whole day.

Life-jacket were striong enough to keep an adult with no swimming ability afloat.

I just returned from my Jan 1 cruise on the Magic. I booked thru Cozumel Tours and used the ecommerce as the name of the ship while booking. I even got the 20% discount for booking thru paypal.

Once I arrived at Dolphin Discovery, no one cared how I got there. There are three places to sign in, the last one being the actual sign in for the Dolphin swim. You have to put your name and what ship you came on. I put Carnival Magic, and there were no questions asked.

You ARE allowed to take your camera as long as it is waterproof. I asked and they said sure as long as it is waterproof. You will need to be with someone that you can pass your camera too when it is your turn, but it is allowed. No one that has not paid is allowed to go that far out on the pier to take pictures, but the actual participants are allowed.

We did the Royal Dolphin Swim and it was great!!!

Can you tell me the time difference between the Magic and local Cozumel time? Also how long was the cab ride?

Just booked Dolphin Swim last night through Cozumel-tours dot com, as it was the last day for us to book 46 days out for the 25% discount . We are sailing on Carnival Dream in June. I did not want to book through Carnival, as we are a family of 6 and only 3 are doing the swim. We want to enjoy Chankanaab on our own time. I paid through PayPal and under cruieline I selected "ecommerce" and for ship name I also put "ecommerce" and the reservation went through with no problems.

We'll see how it goes when we get there!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Just booked Dolphin Swim last night through Cozumel-tours dot com, as it was the last day for us to book 46 days out for the 25% discount . We are sailing on Carnival Dream in June. I did not want to book through Carnival, as we are a family of 6 and only 3 are doing the swim. We want to enjoy Chankanaab on our own time. I paid through PayPal and under cruieline I selected "ecommerce" and for ship name I also put "ecommerce" and the reservation went through with no problems.

Did it work???? :) I am waiting to book this for our Sept cruise.

I'm sailing with Carnival. In regard to the Dolphin Discovery non-compete clause..if I book with them direct and tell them I'm on a different ship or staying at a hotel, what happens if the ship changes their port day? Do I lose my money or can I change our reservation at the last minute? Cozumel will be our last stop.

• 4 weeks later...

We just got off the Dream last week, and did the royal dolphin swim. We did not book through Carnival, and used the "ecommerce" trick. It worked no problems, nobody there cares how you arrive, they pretty much assumed we were all off the Dream as we were the only ship in port that day.

Thanks so much for the information.

We just got off the Dream last week, and did the royal dolphin swim. We did not book through Carnival, and used the "ecommerce" trick. It worked no problems, nobody there cares how you arrive, they pretty much assumed we were all off the Dream as we were the only ship in port that day.

Anyone check out the Fathers Day deal they are doing for the month of June? Just noticed it today on their website. Wondering if they will give me the deal if I book now for when we will be there in October. We got this same deal last time by saying that we were with NCL. Sure would like to get this pricing again.

Anyone check out the Fathers Day deal they are doing for the month of June? Just noticed it today on their website. Wondering if they will give me the deal if I book now for when we will be there in October. We got this same deal last time by saying that we were with NCL. Sure would like to get this pricing again.

can't find this do you have the link ?

I was thinking about booking for my cruise in December. The info on the website says if you book by July (something), you can book for any cruise this year. You have to call to book, though.

I'm sailing with Carnival. In regard to the Dolphin Discovery non-compete clause..if I book with them direct and tell them I'm on a different ship or staying at a hotel, what happens if the ship changes their port day? Do I lose my money or can I change our reservation at the last minute? Cozumel will be our last stop.

In regard to my own question, yes this has come true. Carnival has rearranged our schedule. I called the park and they were very accomodating and changed our reservation to match the new itinerary. I didn't mention anything other than we needed to change the date and they did it! Will let everyone know how it goes when I get back!!! Leaving in 5 days!!:D

I hope you've had/will have fun on your cruise! I'm going to be on the Dream in September. I have a friend that wants to swim with the dolphins, personally I'm OK hanging in the sun :). How was it? Did your dolphin people think they had enough time with them? Did the non dolphin'ers and once the encounter was done folks, feel like they had other opportunities to have fun??? Swimming, snorkeling, cocktails :).......

Worth going to???

Thanks for your input.

Edie

In regard to my own question, yes this has come true. Carnival has rearranged our schedule. I called the park and they were very accomodating and changed our reservation to match the new itinerary. I didn't mention anything other than we needed to change the date and they did it! Will let everyone know how it goes when I get back!!! Leaving in 5 days!!:D

I have been trying to decide how I want to book this excursion for our July 22 cruise. But I just received an email about a change in our itinerary, so I may go ahead and book on our own.

I have been trying to decide how I want to book this excursion for our July 22 cruise. But I just received an email about a change in our itinerary, so I may go ahead and book on our own.

I was a little worried when I heard we had an itinerary change. But it wasn't a problem at all. She had several time slots open and we are a group of 10, so we almost take up the entire slot on our own.

I hope you've had/will have fun on your cruise! I'm going to be on the Dream in September. I have a friend that wants to swim with the dolphins, personally I'm OK hanging in the sun :). How was it? Did your dolphin people think they had enough time with them? Did the non dolphin'ers and once the encounter was done folks, feel like they had other opportunities to have fun??? Swimming, snorkeling, cocktails :).......

Worth going to???

Thanks for your input.

Edie

Chankanaab was wonderful and definitely worth going to! It was absolutely beautiful and chock full of stuff to do. They had palapas and chairs and really good margaritas;) Food was good and reasonably priced. While DH, DS and I did a scuba dive in the morning, the rest of our party hung out and snorkeled and enjoyed the beautiful day under the palapas. Then, while the rest of my kids did the the dolphin swim, we were able to enjoy the beach and margaritas.

BTW, ALL of my kids LOVED the dolphin swim and and list it as one of the many highlights of their trip. I just wish we had more time to spend at Chankanaab.

We had absolute ZERO issues booking the Dolphin Swim independently through cozumel-tours dot com and not Carnival. I just showed my online reservation, and when she asked what cruise ship, I told her the Carnival Dream (we were the only ship in port).

:D

Called dolphin discovery to try to book their buy 1, get one for $1 deal; but was unsuccessful. 2 points to think about before you call. 1, they ask which line and which ship you are cruising with, so think about what you're going to say before you call. I said royal caribbean (I'm traveling with carnival) and didn't both to look and see if any of their ships would be in port that day... not sure if they check, but should probably have looked first. 2. I may try back again, but the lady I talked to said that once she put my information in to try to book it, if I call back another day, it'll bring that up in the system and I won't be eligible for that discount anymore. not sure why that would be.

Also, does anyone know if any place does a dolphin/manatee/sea lion combo anymore? More interested in doing that than the royal swim.