nailing down the insurance details - need advice please

dkc1973

I'm looking at travel insurance and I found one I like but I have two main questions. I hope I'm not posting anything I shouldn't but just in case I left out the name of the company I am looking at, but I'm happy to supply that if it will help someone advise me and it's not against the rules.

1- Adventure sports coverage -- do we need this if we will be doing (at most) a walking tour of some of ruins and/or a snorkling excursion (not scuba, just the basic beginner type thing)...???

2- I was hoping someone could look at these details and tell me if I'm missing something important or maybe have something overloaded.

I have the basic coverage package and added:

----cancel for any reason (50%)

----additional covered reasons option

---- medical expense upgrade (made it primary and $100,000)

----added hospital of choice evac upgrade

---- baggage upgrade (made primary and upped to $1,500/300)

Thanks in advance!

Firstly, you don't have to leave out the name of the insurance company. :)That be like asking a cruise question and not mentioning the line. In fact, the mods here even seem to tolerate posting insurance broker names here, even though Travel Agents aren't allowed. (I think that's because lots of Travel Agents offer referral bonuses, and referral wars were probably getting out of hand.)

Hiking and snorkling are generally not considered "adventure sports." Naturally, you should read your policy to be sure, but I'd be surprised if that were the case. You'd have to work to injure yourself beginner snorkling... (The hardest part of beginner snorkling is realizing you are not going to drown, even though your face is in the water; every beginner hyperventilates for a few seconds... And remember to relax your jaw! It's instinctual to really bite down hard on the mouthpiece, and that'll leave you sore if you don't loosen up.)

Are you sure you want both Additional Covered Reasons and Cancel For Any Reason? You can certainly do so, but unless they adjust your pricing to give you a discount to bundle the two, it may not be real cost-effective.

If you have a Gold/Platinum credit card, see if they offer baggage coverage.

Thank you Sirwired. The company I am looking at is Travel Guard.

I hadn't even thought about the duplication by doing the cancel for any reason and the additional covered reasons.

I need to check on the conditions for the "cancel for any reason" part... I got them once but I didn't understand them. There was something about having to include all your prepaid, non-refundable expenses.... but since we are driving down we won't have any.

Your pre-paid, non-refundable expenses would be any money (like your cruise fare) that you have paid up to this point and could not get back in full were you to cancel.

So, if you've put down a deposit and your travel agency would charge you $50 if you canceled, you'd want to insure the deposit. When you make final payment, you'll need to add that to the amount you've insured. (or insure it all at once when you buy the policy to begin with)

Archived