Soda Question

nycmode

Hi all, can't wait to get on that boat!

In the meantime, I have a question about soda. I know some people here said they put a luggage tag on their cases of soda, but if I just put the soda itself in one of my suitcases, do they give us any grief about our luggage?

Just wondering since I'm planning on putting a luggage tag on my case of water, but figured I might just shove the soda in my suitcase.

Any advice? Thanks! :D

Your soda will get on but it might be with some grief for you overall.

The issue is that they do scan the luggage for prohibited items including alcoholic beverages and items included on Celebrity's "do not pack" list such as clothing irons.

Depending on the scanning machine your luggage might be identified for inspection if the cans are noted but they can not tell from the scan if it is an alcoholic beverage or not. If this happens your luggage will be diverted to an inspection room, often referred to on Cruise Critic as the "naughty room" instead of being delivered to your cabin. You won't know this until you inquire why your luggage hasn't been delivered or until they notify you later - which might be late in the evening on embarkation day. Then you'll have to go to the naughty room to open the case for inspection. At that point you should be cleared and allowed to take your luggage, including the soda, back to the cabin but this means you could have a long delay in receiving the luggage along with the hassle of having to go claim it and open it for inspection.

You can avoid the possibility of this by carrying your soda on yourself in a bag or carry-on rather than checking it inside of your luggage.

Your soda will get on but it might be with some grief for you overall.

The issue is that they do scan the luggage for prohibited items including alcoholic beverages and items included on Celebrity's "do not pack" list such as clothing irons.

Depending on the scanning machine your luggage might be identified for inspection if the cans are noted but they can not tell from the scan if it is an alcoholic beverage or not. If this happens your luggage will be diverted to an inspection room, often referred to on Cruise Critic as the "naughty room" instead of being delivered to your cabin. You won't know this until you inquire why your luggage hasn't been delivered or until they notify you later - which might be late in the evening on embarkation day. Then you'll have to go to the naughty room to open the case for inspection. At that point you should be cleared and allowed to take your luggage, including the soda, back to the cabin but this means you could have a long delay in receiving the luggage along with the hassle of having to go claim it and open it for inspection.

You can avoid the possibility of this by carrying your soda on yourself in a bag or carry-on rather than checking it inside of your luggage.

Ah that is a good point. Btw what constitutes as carry on? Only stuff like backpacks or bags with handles? Are small rollers considered "carry on"? If so I may consider using that as my carry on (and put the sodas there) and checking in my big roll on luggage.

...Btw what constitutes as carry on?...

Anything that you choose to carry on as opposed to items you check with the porters at the dock to be delivered to your cabin for you.

Some cruisers don't like checking their luggage and carry everything on. This is Ok but keep in mind that everything carried on has to go through an airport security type xray machine at some point. Also, you'll have to lug your stuff up and/or down ramps on the way to the ship. And if you board early you'll have to lug it around the ship with you to lunch or while you explore the ship since staterooms are generally off limits to guests until about 1PM.

No, everyone can board at the same time, whenever you arrive at the port after 11am. Being in a suite only gives you a special line for check in, but there are so many suites and Elite members, it's not much of a perk.

Lsimon, in a way your ideas are correct, but if people have large luggage pieces, you cannot carry them on. I know from experience because there was a couple standing in line ahead of us who had their large luggage with them and security made them leave the line and give their bags to the porters outside. Only airport sized carry ons will be allowed in at check in time. All other bags must be given to porters so they can be scanned in those huge scanners in the bowels of the ship.

I put a 12 pak of Pepsi into a canvas Lands End type bag and checked it through with no problems. If they wanted to see what was in there they only had to unzip the top of the bag. However, it did come with the rest of our luggage. My water also went through nicely with just a luggage tag taped to the top of the case (which I reinforced bit with clear tape around the open ends).

But why try to avoid the naughty room? I am told you meet the most interesting people in the line. :p

Bill

LOL I think I'll bypass that ...

Also I will tag my water ... but for sodas, I guess I'll tag that too!

Archived