Luggage locks?

calex1976

Just wanted to reply in reference to luggage locks and luggage being searched, DH and I cruised out of Pt. Canaveral on Sept. 3rd they searched our luggage without our permission and removed our powerstrip without us being present, left a letter stating what had benn removed and that we could pick it up from the "naughty room" on the last day of cruise.

What I do and have done for years is, lock all our bags with a lock and then ty-rap them. If someone wants in my bag, they will either cut the lock and the ty-rap or rip the zipper, and I will know someone has been in my bag.

So once you find out someone has been in your luggage.....then what:confused:

Theft nearly always an opportunistic crime. A skilled criminal might be able steal your money right out of your pocket or crack a safe, but most thieves are not particularly skilled (nor are they the brightest people). They see an easy grab, and they take advantage of it.

A lock on luggage won't protect you from thief who wants to break into it, but it will stop about 95 percent of the opportunistic thieves -- especially with a ship hallway full of unlocked luggage to choose from.

I have no intention of following Carnival's recommendations on how to secure my belongings, unless they want to offer some kind of guarantee.

Theft nearly always an opportunistic crime. A skilled criminal might be able steal your money right out of your pocket or crack a safe, but most thieves are not particularly skilled (nor are they the brightest people). They see an easy grab, and they take advantage of it.

A lock on luggage won't protect you from thief who wants to break into it, but it will stop about 95 percent of the opportunistic thieves -- especially with a ship hallway full of unlocked luggage to choose from.

I have no intention of following Carnival's recommendations on how to secure my belongings, unless they want to offer some kind of guarantee.

That's why you should not put anything of value in your checked luggage.....they can grab my dirty underwear if they really need it:D

I always lock my suitcase and hubby uses a zip tie - then we have big red LL Bean belts with combination locks that go around the suitcases. We've never had a problem with locked bags - BUT - on our last cruise - the Spirit to Alaska, we placed our bags outside the door and when we got our luggage the next morning in the terminal the LL Bean belts were gone! Someone (passenger or crew) either cut them off or picked the lock area. Just be careful what you put in your suitcases - keep your valuables with you! We didn't have anything taken, just the combination belts.

A question regarding Carnival removing the power strip from your luggage. I thought (newbie) we were allowed to bring them on the board. Have read a lot of posts where pax suggest taking a power strip due to only one electric outlet.

You are technically allowed to take them on, as long as they do not think it will be a hazard. Sometimes the people checking the luggage get a bit overzealous.

They all have luggage keys just like airport security if they want to get in they will and have to for the safety of all passengers. We dont lock ours and we have never had or problem with anyone rifling through our stuff. It always arrives just like we pack it!!

I am also going to keep my luggage locked with tsa approved locks. I am taking a flat iron with me also besides the power strip. So I guess I will get called to the naughty room to open the luggage.

Flat irons and power strips are allowed.......you shouldn't have a problem.

TSA has nothing to do with cruise ship embarkation or debarkation. It is port authority, customs, homeland security, and US Coast Guard.

Once your bags are on the ship, they are under Carnivals scrutiny.

TSA is an agency of Homeland Security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_Security_Administration

We didn't lock our luggage but we didn't have anything that was woth taking. Just friendly advise, you said you didn't want anybody going through your stuff like your "electronics"? Those I would put anything that's worth value in you carry ons (computer,tablets,cell phones,camera and Mp3 players) because believe me if somebody wants it, they are gonna get it. And you don't want the risk of something being broke. That would be no good!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

We didn't lock our luggage but we didn't have anything that was woth taking. Just friendly advise, you said you didn't want anybody going through your stuff like your "electronics"? Those I would put anything that's worth value in you carry ons (computer,tablets,cell phones,camera and Mp3 players) because believe me if somebody wants it, they are gonna get it. And you don't want the risk of something being broke. That would be no good!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I will be traveling entirely carry-on, and I will still lock my luggage. Even if I don't have any expensive electronics in the bag with my clothes, I still don't want to have to replace them the night before the cruise, along with the toiletries for someone who's allergic to everything. Sometimes, the peace of mind is worth it, even if it doesn't seem like it would do that much good.

I posted this to find out if my locks would raise suspicion, but it looks like most people use them without problems. Mine are TSA only because that is what is commonly available.

I will have a power strip, but it is short and still in the box. It sounds like most the ones confiscated are used or too long and deemed dangerous. I will be packing two pilot flasks for mixing drinks(empty until I get my bottle of Rum from Bon Voyage), so I guess I will carry them in my carry on bags. If I get called to the naughty room so be it.

I plan on locking the main compartments and zip tieing all the small pockets. I have seen luggage get thrown around and pockets opened up at the airport, at least I hope that's why they were open.

Thanks every one for the helpful info.

Archived