Luggage locks?

calex1976

We plan on using locks on our luggage on board the Freedom. Not trying to hide anything, but I do not like the idea of porters going through our stuff. All our electronics and personal belongings will be in our carry on bags while embarking. Just wondering if Carnival has a problem with bags being locked? Has anyone been called to the naughty room to unlock a bag that has no contraband in it? I would rather not go through the hassle of waiting on luggage to clear, but would rather do that than have something go missing. Thanks for any info.

For the most part they won't call you to the naughty room unless they suspect something. I locked mine and had no issues. Even if I get called to the naughty room to unlock it, it is still safer IMO than risking losing clothes and other stuff from the luggage

:mad:Just sailed on the Inspiration and when I got my luggage in my room my lock was gone! I know that I had locked it at the hotel prior to leaving, so I know it was Carnival. I don't even know what I had in there that they thought was bad. No alcohol, pop, power strips, Nothing!!! I was pretty upset as then I could not lock my luggage traveling home.

:mad:Just sailed on the Inspiration and when I got my luggage in my room my lock was gone! I know that I had locked it at the hotel prior to leaving, so I know it was Carnival. I don't even know what I had in there that they thought was bad. No alcohol, pop, power strips, Nothing!!! I was pretty upset as then I could not lock my luggage traveling home.

Likely the lock hadn't completely locked shut. Who would bother to take the time to remove a lock? Even if a suitcase makes it to a naughty room, they don't remove the article in question until You open the suitcase, even if it has no lock. Mine had only a twistem on it.

If Carnival needs in your locked bag, they will call you. If they need in your unlocked bag, they will call you.

I have had the TSA cut off a TSA approved lock as they were too sorry to take the effort to find a key to unlock it. I have never had an issue with Carnival messing around with our luggage.

The porters are too busy hustling for a buck to go through your bag, however locks or tie wraps are a good idea to help prevent accidents.

Doc

Definitely lock your bags...whether there's anything in them, or not! (And you're right to carry anything of value with you!!!)

No one has a right to go thru your bags without your permission. We use Master keyed locks. They do not have to be TSA locks, even if you're flying.

Definitely lock your bags...whether there's anything in them, or not! (And you're right to carry anything of value with you!!!)

No one has a right to go thru your bags without your permission. We use Master keyed locks. They do not have to be TSA locks, even if you're flying.

The TSA has the right to go through your bags without your permission (actually by checking your luggage you ARE consenting/giving them permission to go through your bags...so I guess technically you are right).

Also, without the TSA locks, if the TSA wants to go through your bags they will cut them off.

We plan on using locks on our luggage on board the Freedom. Not trying to hide anything, but I do not like the idea of porters going through our stuff. All our electronics and personal belongings will be in our carry on bags while embarking. Just wondering if Carnival has a problem with bags being locked? Has anyone been called to the naughty room to unlock a bag that has no contraband in it? I would rather not go through the hassle of waiting on luggage to clear, but would rather do that than have something go missing. Thanks for any info.

Carnival recommends that you leave your luggage unlocked. We lock ours up with plastic zip ties. If they want to look in my bag they can but it's going to be with me present.

It's happened, rarely, that someone has gotten called to the naughty room for no real reason other than the security screens thought they saw something in the bag that wasn't there...

Locks on luggage really only keep out honest people. If someone really wants something in there they'll get it but, for me at least, locking my bags adds a bit of peace of mind...

:)

I gave up on locking my bags long ago. I DO use colored zip ties at the port to keep the zippers from opening. At the airport, I use pipe cleaners!

If someone (good guy, or bad) wants into your luggage, they will. Why bother with a lock than can be cut off with a decent pair of wire cutters?

"Locks only keep honest people honest." ;)

If Carnival needs in your locked bag, they will call you. If they need in your unlocked bag, they will call you.

I have had the TSA cut off a TSA approved lock as they were too sorry to take the effort to find a key to unlock it. I have never had an issue with Carnival messing around with our luggage.

The porters are too busy hustling for a buck to go through your bag, however locks or tie wraps are a good idea to help prevent accidents.

Doc

i lock it all the time when going on ships....and i have TSA locks that they have cut off....(sometimes the person with the key goes to lunch...really, a TSA trainer told me that:eek:) Generally now when i fly i use cable ties...if people want my dirty laundry, have at it!

i have had locks get damaged by airlines....hence, the cable ties...about 4 bucks for 100 or so at wally world.

Thanks for all the quick replies, looks like we will be using locks now. We found some TSA locks on sale, so will be using them even though Carnival does not go by TSA regulations. I just feel safer with a lock than without. I would hate to find out my bag's zipper came open and I lost all my belongings. Thanks again.

I always lock, locks are cheap, what about the cost of a starbucks stop at the airport or less, money better spent than even a missed coffee!

Do people leave their car or hotel room or house unlocked, just stupid not ot lock. Its not an invitation to steal because something is valuable, its just common sense. Ties are nice and cheaper but easily breakable, even a TSA lock requies a little more effort. I like to make sure that they move to the easiest luggage, those with no lock or ties :D

I always lock my luggage when traveling by air or sea. And those that say it only keeps the honest people out...if they really want in your luggage they will....While that is true, it draws alot mor attention to someone cutting a lock or cutting directly into your luggage than it does just unzipping the bag. Why lock your car door when the crook can just brake your window? why lock your house doors, when the crook can just bust in the door? And everything in my luggage is valuable . My clothing, shoes, ect..ect...were not given to me, and the cost of replacing them while on vacation is not cheap either.

I always lock my luggage when traveling by air or sea. And those that say it only keeps the honest people out...if they really want in your luggage they will....While that is true, it draws alot mor attention to someone cutting a lock or cutting directly into your luggage than it does just unzipping the bag. Why lock your car door when the crook can just brake your window? why lock your house doors, when the crook can just bust in the door? And everything in my luggage is valuable . My clothing, shoes, ect..ect...were not given to me, and the cost of replacing them while on vacation is not cheap either.

I could not imagine having to replace all my clothes while on vacation. I have stayed a few extra days and bought a few extra shirts instead of looking for a laundromat, and that was not too cheap. We will use them on our checked baggage and might pick some more up for our carry on also. Never know when some one might grab a bag, knowing it is full of your most expensive belongings. I'm sure if there is a thief on board they would snatch a unlocked bag before they get a locked one.

Thanks for all the quick replies, looks like we will be using locks now. We found some TSA locks on sale, so will be using them even though Carnival does not go by TSA regulations. I just feel safer with a lock than without. I would hate to find out my bag's zipper came open and I lost all my belongings. Thanks again.

A lock will not help a broken zipper......

I always lock, locks are cheap, what about the cost of a starbucks stop at the airport or less, money better spent than even a missed coffee!

Do people leave their car or hotel room or house unlocked, just stupid not ot lock. Its not an invitation to steal because something is valuable, its just common sense. Ties are nice and cheaper but easily breakable, even a TSA lock requies a little more effort. I like to make sure that they move to the easiest luggage, those with no lock or ties :D

If they want your luggage bad enough they will just pick it up and walk away with it........Not only does my home and car carry value....I think they would have a hard time picking up my house or car and walk away with it:rolleyes: Common sense tells me don't put anything of value in my checked luggage.....just stupid if you do...lock or no lock.

The TSA has the right to go through your bags without your permission (actually by checking your luggage you ARE consenting/giving them permission to go through your bags...so I guess technically you are right).

Also, without the TSA locks, if the TSA wants to go through your bags they will cut them off.

TSA has nothing to do with cruise ship embarkation or debarkation. It is port authority, customs, homeland security, and US Coast Guard.

Once your bags are on the ship, they are under Carnivals scrutiny.

TSA has nothing to do with cruise ship embarkation or debarkation. It is port authority, customs, homeland security, and US Coast Guard.

Once your bags are on the ship, they are under Carnivals scrutiny.

I didn't state anything to the contrary. I was replying to someone who was posting about using (or rather not using) TSA locks while flying.

I have used the TSA locks on every cruise and have never had a problem. It may seem like overkill, but our backpack we carry on with valuables even has one. Harder for someone to pickpocket with it locked which is especially easy on backpacks in a crowd since it's behind you.

Sure, if someone really wants into a bag they will get there. Usually when looking for something specific. But most thefts are crimes of opportunity - the thief is looking for the easiest target and more often than not will try an unlocked bag over a locked one they have to cut into.

Same thing goes for locking my stuff in the room safe. Most hotel room thefts are visible, easy to get to items that can be grabbed quickly because someone left them out. I know 99.9% of the stewards are honest, but you never know when one bad one will be tempted. Or drawn away while cleaning and someone else slips in and snatches something.

Archived