Review-- Explorer of the Seas 10/13-10/22 2011

sue cubic

My 3rd cruise, partner's 32nd cruise.

Pleasantly surprised by Cape Liberty port, once we found it! VERY small sign at the turn-in road. If you come to a shopping center--turn around! We drove, so dropped bags at various bays--well-directed. Park and walk to terminal. Traveling partner does not walk well, so we were very pleased to find wheelchair assistance immediately. Straight to the check-in line--no waiting if you're in a wheelchair! Ship personnel even pushed chair up the gangplank. We were on the ship about 15 minutes after arrival.

Disembarkation was equally efficient, although we waited until nearly the last group to depart. No trouble finding luggage, port wheelchair service through customs, and the luggage was taken directly to our car--and loaded in the trunk! Can't beat that! With over 3000 passengers, the lines to get off, plus the crowded shuttle buses do take some patience.

Sail away delayed until around 9:30PM, due to divers in the water doing maintenance. When leaving Boston, there was a storm ahead, so the captain waited it out in the harbor until 3:30AM. He made up the time, and we reached Cape Liberty on time.

Ship was immaculately clean. Personnel remarkably friendly. The ship is huge--a lot of walking, with only 2 elevator banks. Restaurants at one end, entertainment at the other. Elevators do try your patience.

A word about cabins: if you book a Promenade cabin, be aware that the Promenade is used daily for entertainment. If you like to retire early, don't book one of those. The party goes on until around 11 PM on some nights. There is often a band playing numerous times during the day--and yes, you can hear it all in your cabin. Our cabin was also an adjoining cabin (locked from both sides), and we could hear conversations and the TV in the other room.

Was also pleasantly surprised with the Windjammer Cafe. The presence of food stations eliminated any lines there. We did My Time Dining, and resisted the efforts of staff to force reservations. There is no problem with this if you eat late (after 8PM). Reservations are necessary for certain tables or waiters. We did not try the main dining rooms, Johnny Rockets or Portofino.

Since it was October in Canada/New England, it was a bit chilly. Pool certainly was not crowded, but pleasant when the sun came out. I lived in an LLBean fleece with a windbreaker overtop, and was comfortable. Sports deck was vacant every time I went up there.

Shows were good--ice show very good. If you like jazz guitar, don't miss Igor in the lounges.

A few disappointments: Not much entertainment after 11PM, show time seems to change every night, no food or non-alcoholic drinks provided outside around the pool. The walk is long to get snacks or drinks for out there.

Shore excursions often ran late getting back. I would be very careful about booking any excursions not provided by the ship if they run later in the day. There were 4 ships in port in Halifax, and the lines for the Pink Bus (hop on hop off) were horrendous. There are 3 different loops done by this bus (for one price), and after each loop, you have to go to the back of the line to get on the next loop. Might be better to take the loops "backward"?

In all, it was a pleasant cruise, and as always it's the people you meet that really make it--both crew and passengers.

Not much entertainment after 11PM, show time seems to change every night, no food or non-alcoholic drinks provided outside around the pool.

You hit upon one of my pet peeves with RCCL and the EOS. The constant changing of show times almost every night!

We take late sitting to be able to relax when returning from port prior to dinner. If we want to see the show, we have to forego a leisurely return since more than 1/2 the shows are prior to dinner! And not even at the same time! Some are barely 1/2 hour long!

Makes no sense to not lock in a set time for the shows.

Staff has suggested that passengers want to retire early and not have to deal with the show letting out around 11 PM or later. If that is truly the case, why not take early sitting and be done with it.

It seems the unfair burden of having to go before dinner to the shows has been handed to the late sitting passengers.

Just my opinion and my pet peeve.

MARAPRINCE

Archived