Bonaire was one of my favorite ports last week

Luckyladyh

We were in Bonaire on the Emerald Princess last week for the first time. What a beautiful little town.

We wanted to go to Klein Bonaire to snorkel - now I see what people were talking about. It is a small island - within view of the ship. You catch a water taxi over. The issue though is that there are several companies doing this and the whole dock area has lots of people moving around - calling for your business, standing in line for tours, etc.

The water taxi we paid - $30 for two - ended up not being able to pull up to the same dock as the ship - and we walked about three minutes away to pick it up at another dock. We thought there was only one water taxi company and came to find out after asking around, that there are several - they are just all now made by the government to be under one tent area with all vendors such as motorcycle rental, etc.

Again, all very confusing so ask before you pay as to where you will be picked up. (within an hour of the ship docking - the area of vendors was clear of all the madness and people). Everyone is heading out to the find a tour or ride or taxi at once, so again, that is why it is confusing. I didn't see anyone renting snorkel gear, however, some of the other water taxi companies may have offered it. Mine did not.

Just as other posters have said - there it is a 10 minute ride to Klein. There is absolutely nothing there - so make sure you take something to drink - the water was very salty and fortunately we had one bottle of water.

The snorkeling was so close in to the shore/sand that you really do not need fins or a life jacket. A simple mask and snorkel is all that was needed.

The water is beautiful. Glad we did it. We stayed two hours - came back to the ship - took a quick shower and walked around town - which was very close to the ship. Some great little tourist stores - and nice local bars. Everyone very friendly. Lots of blue "dutch" figurines, etc.

We liked this island because no one was rushing you, calling out to you, etc. Very laid back - lots of people from the Netherlands which we enjoyed.

I definitely want to go back to this island. Good luck and have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonaire is my absolute favorite port for snorkeling. We used Woodwind Tours which brings you to Klein Bonaire, but away from the beach along a beautiful reef. It was only our small tour group in our own little wonderland. Excellent tour.

I can't wait to go back to Bonaire again!!!

Archived