Cruise West v Glacier Bay cruises

new2alaska

Tom,

If you are getting your extra Tokyo day through Cruise West (like we are), they provide a day tour of Tokyo included in the rate. (According the the brochure.) We also took the Kyoto extension and then added two days to THAT. Should be great!

ScottnZelda,

We are also doing the Kyoto extension, and then flying back on Nov. 8th. We booked the extra day in Tokyo through CruiseWest, but we did it without the tour - we figured we'd be so out of it after flying in from Connecticut that we didn't want to have anything planned. I'm starting to investigate restaurants and things to do in Tokyo (the highest rated restaurant appears to be a New York steak house - go figure!) and books on Japanese history and culture se I can be prepared. Only 9 months to go!

• 2 months later...

Tom,

Did you get your little booklet from Cruise West? It has a pretty complete bibliography/reading list at the end. I've bought a couple of books to read before we leave for Japan, but haven't started them yet...will be my summer project!

I saw your query to the boards looking for reviews from someone who did this trip in April/May. I, too, would love to hear from them.

Sayonara for now.

ScottnZelda,

We got our book as well. Very exciting. I have bought "Japan, It'sHistory and Culture" and will probably but Richie's "The Innland Sea" as I enjoy his film writing. We wil also watch lots of Kurosawa, and proboably listen to some Pimsleur Japanese tapes. We've been listening to their Italian lessons for an upcoming trip to Italy, and I think I'm actually learning some useful Italian. Japanese seems much more complicated. We still haven't tackled the big issue, which is what to pack!

Tom,

LOL! Judging from the little booklet we received, it looks like the weather may be quite warm, if that helps in the "packing" category.

I, too, bought some Japanese language materials (haven't started at all yet, though) We have two trips to take before Japan, including leaving for the Netherlands tomorrow for 10 days -- tulips, Queen's Day, sightseeing. But I really MUST start my reading, and you are inspiring me.

If you are going to Tokyo a day early, departing from JFK, I assume, will you be on the JAL nonstop on Oct 21? That's our flight. We booked 2 for 1 biz class through Amex PTS.

Did I mention that another couple is traveling with us, too? But I think they may have to go over on Oct 20.

Have a great time in Italy!

ScottnZelda,

Enjoy the Netherlands. We are flying to Tokyo on the 21st, but we are flying out of Hartford, stopping in Chicago. A little longer in the air than a direct flight from JFK, but much easier in terms of getting to and from the airport

Tom

• 5 months later...

:D

Husband and I are looking at CW for Alaska in July 2007 for his 40th b-day. We have never done a big ship cruise and our only other cruise experience was Sea Cloud in the Aegean with 38 passengers. Prices seem to have gone up considerably since this thread was started, and the options seem to have changed. So... questions for some of the people here are:

We really want to include a short trip to the interior and have a total of 10-11 days to spend. Given what's available and our budget, this means we will be able to do a short cruise of 1) on CW, Denali + Glacier Bay only; 2) on CW, Denali + Prince William Sound only; 3) on CW, Inside Passage (including Glacier Bay) but no interior trip; or 4) Inside Passage + Prince William Sound + Denali but on a floating city (Princess or Celebrity).

Most important to us on the cruise portions is seeing wildlife, esp whales and bears, and getting to be up close and personal with animals and glaciers. Does anyone have any recommendations between say CW Glacier Bay v. PWS? We're torn because it seems like the only way to see "all" of the areas we might like to see is on a Princess or Celebrity trip, but we're not really big cruise line personalities and don't want to feel like we're just completing a checklist either.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Archived