Cruise West v Glacier Bay cruises

new2alaska

I am considering an AK cruise next year. I am a bit nervous about cruising as I hated doing a big ship cruise in Caribbean--too many people, all you did was queue up to eat, shore excursions weren't anything to write home about--so i was looking at the small ship/luxury ship lines. Price-wise they are pretty comparable...but i wanted to get some first-hand reviews of peoples' experiences.

If anyone has been on either cruise west or glacier bay-- could you please let me know what you thought of the ships, the staff, the food, whether the ships were stable or if they rocked (seasickness might be issue with fellow travellers). I have seen 2 postings on a travel agent website about cruise west and neither was good--appeared that if they charged half as much the cruisers would have been much happier with their vacation as food was bad, ships were old and cramped.

We did a trip on CruiseWest through the Panama Canal. I was not impressed. The food was not good. We had a suite, which was pretty small. I caught a glimpse of the regular stateroom and it seemed tiny. We were on what used to be the "Temptress" which is now called the Pacific Something. The dining room was horribly noisy (the ship was full). Transiting the Canal was wonderful, but I doubt I would take CruiseWest again.

We did the Inside Passage on Spirit of Endeavour. We're doing a similar run on the Spirit of Discovery this year. These cruises are not for folks who require luxury or outstanding food. These ships are about nature. The folks who take these cruises are usually very well educated, comfortable economically and interested in the interaction with nature, not the entertainments of the vessel. There are no entertainments on the vessel. The day is spent viewing nature or interacting with fellow passengers. The rooms are adequate but not where you want to spend major time. The food is quite good but not super. The crew is very friendly and helpful. The cost for the trip is very high compared to the floating cities. You end up paying heavily for the small ship experience. We enjoyed our trip enough that we're repeating it. We're considering some of the other destinations including South America, Japan and the South Seas. I can easily understand not being pleased if one has expectations that this Line hasn't designed itself to satisfy. For those looking for this type of experience as we were, Cruise West has a significant number of repeat cruisers. I haven't heard anything specific about Glacier but understand it is similar.

The Inside Passage is protected water so the ships ride very well. The small ships do move more than large ships but it is fairly immaterial in the Inside Passage. On Cruise West there will be no lines for anything unless a couple folks are trying to get a cup of coffee simultaneously. With only 80-100 passengers and all at the same meal seating there isn't much waiting for anything.

We have sailed on Cruise West 4 times. Twice on the "Columbia and the Snake River", and twice on the "San Juan Islands and British Columbia". We had a great time each time -- obviously, or we wouldn't have repeated ourselves!

The ships are small, twice we were in the bottom of the ship, and even though there are 2 "beds", it was claustrophobic. We actually didn't spend much time down there -- who would want to -- but I think that the intinerary made up for that. The shore excursions were all included, and there was almost 1 every day; the food was fine -- no it wasn't the taste or quality of the big ships -- but the breads were outstanding!

There were speakers at some ports that came on; games at night -- that you wouldn't be caught playing on the big ships -- but somehow they seemed just right for Cruise West.

The crew is VERY young, but always pleaseant and helpful, and informative. We would do them again, except that their prices have almost tripled since we did them. They were a bargain then, but seem extremely exspensive now.

We might consider doing them in Alaska (we have done Princess 2 times, and NCL once) because they could get right up to the Glaciers -- they even sailed right up to the shore in British Columbia, the bow opened, and off we walked!

Thanks to those of you with first hand knowledge of Cruise West. Turns out we are down to Clipper or Cruise West. Travel companions love the idea of getting up close and personal with the nature/animals of AK and the casual nature of these types of cruises. I am leaning towards CW, but a couple of travel companions like Clipper--so we are still trying to work out details for 2006.

As for ships it would be Yorktown on Clipper or Spirit of Endeavor or Spirit of 98 on CW. In either case--just because of cost-- we'd be in a category 2/3 or AA room. Not highest, but not lowest grade. We we hoping to get the lower category rooms on one of the higher floors of the ship so we would be an outside room. (no insides or port-holes!)

Sorry to go on about the food--i am not a food snob but I am just really worried about some of the reviews. Is it at least the level of an Applebee's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster---or are we taking Denny's, Big Boy. I don't expect something like one of Wolfgang Puck's places--very good food btw--or the more creative/extravagant meals, but i am hoping for something above institutional/cafeteria/hospital-type food.

The person that posted talked about the price--wow are they expensive!! Its about 3k a person and that doesn't include airfare or any additional items..that is just the cruise. But i doubt they are going to get cheaper in the future--so its either something like this or going independant and driving/flying between cities. (i think this is more cost effective...)

I would refer to the cooking as home cooking. As I remember, and this was over 3-4 years ago, they offered a meat or a non-meat entree. There was no menu selections, as on the big ships, but the food was good. Again, the breads were excellent. At the end of each dinner they would come out and tell us the dinner menu for the following night. A show of hands was how they determined how many meat, and how many non-meat. The entire menu was preplanned, with you only selecting your entree. They also had a "cocktail hour" before dinner each evening in the lounge -- very good appetizers. The drinks you paid for and the appetizers were set up buffet style (on the bar).

We were on the Spirt of Alaska twice, and the Spirit of Columbia twice. Neither had elevators, and as the lounge and dining room were on the middle floor, that created quite mess going up and down the one stairway.

Having said that, my father had cruised with Clipper up and down the East and West Coast, and he really enjoyed them. He loved their chocolate chip cookies!

Thanks for your opinions about Cruise West. They appeal to me for the very reasons you stated. We did our first cruise last year with Holland America to Alaska, and while I really enjoyed it, a more up close and personal would really be great. I have been looking at the cruise offered with CW to the Bering Sea and up to Nome, with a flight back to Anchorage. Has anyone been on that cruise? It sounds wonderful, and would love to here from someone who has actually done it.

Thanks

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law and their respective spouses did Alaska with Cruise West last year. They enjoyed the informality, and said the food was very good, but not fancy. They are outdoors people, and had a great time with the excursions and the naturalists on board. Their pictures are spectacular. Their experience was so good that we have signed up for Cruise West's Japan cruise in October, 2006.

THANK you for your posts and advice! I think we are going to do one of the CW cruises next year--need to plan in advance to save money for the trip :)

So sometime in late 2006 I will be able to tell you how the trip was!

• 1 month later...

Just returned from Alaska on Cruise West Spirit of 98. I can't say enough good things about this experience! We saw so many humpbacked whales one day that no matter where you looked, there they were. When we saw bears they would actually stop the ship (except in Glacier Bay where this is not permitted). I have some incredible pictures. If you're looking for a relaxed cruise that's focused on wildlife, scenery and smaller ports, this is the cruise line you should consider. If you're looking for shipboard entertainment, a fancy cabin, and room service, look elsewhere because you won't find it here. I found the food to be excellent and I'm pretty picky; it's not "5 star gourmet" but it's not homestyle either. The crew is enthusiastic and friendly. Except for sleeping and taking a shower I spent maybe 30 minutes a day in my cabin, which was small but clean and had enough room for luggage and so forth. The optional shore excursions were high quality and you can book them on the ship if you'd rather avoid too much pre-planning. Yes, this costs a lot more than a "regular" cruise but in order to see what we saw, I would imagine that big ship cruisers would have to pay a lot for shore excursions to the more remote areas. Being able to see a baby whale right over the railing of the ship, or a bear turning rocks over on shore 200 yards away, was more than worth what I paid for this cruise!

The Oceanus is one of the baby Rens and the cabins are most comfy and roomy. The food was okay but service was good. Spent a restful and enjoyable week on her. Haven't done any Clipper cruises, sorry. Re price - yes, they are high but worth it not to have to deal with hordes and being able to get right up to the sights/sounds you go to Alaska to experience. And, no congo lines at 3AM down the corridors - everyone went to bed really early!

We used to take the baby R ships and someone at another "board" mentioned Oceanus.. since you seem to have taken her recently.. what kind of shape is she in?

Is everything looking old ( 1990s or have they been keeping it all pretty?).. How was the food? service? Tours etc.

Thank you

Hi, I'm new to this board but felt the need to get my 2 cents worth in (in the case of Cruise West, my nickle's worth).

Our 1st cruise was aboard the Sheltered Seas doing the "Locals Choice" tour of AK's Inner Passage. This was 5nts but cruising each day and staying at different ports at night. We chose this because it was the least expensive and the only "small ship" cruise we could afford at the time.

It was FANTASTIC!!! Upclose and personal with Whales, Orcas, Glaciers, etc, during the day and the locals in the evenings.

Our 2nd cruise was the "Between the Two Seas" aboard the Pacific Explorer and sailed from Costa Rica to Panama.

This Fall we will be doing the Columbia River cruise.----I can go on and on and on but will spare you the gushing.

ps. My Aunt went on a Princess cruise to AK. Very affordable and she saw whales (at least she thinks that what they were from her vantage point 5 floors stories above the water) :p

• 1 month later...
THANK you for your posts and advice! I think we are going to do one of the CW cruises next year--need to plan in advance to save money for the trip :)

So sometime in late 2006 I will be able to tell you how the trip was!

hi new2alaska,

we are also planning atrip to alaska on cruise west in 2006, probably Aug. we are trying to decide betweent the Wilderness inner passage cruise or the regular inner passage cruise. Have you compared them or made any decisions yet.

Does anyone else who have cruised alaska on CW have any recommendations for a first time alaska cruiser?

thanks

I'm booked on Cruise West Spirit of Alaska for Wilderness Inside Passage plus Denali for this July. I will let you know how it goes. It will be my first trip to Alaska.

Hi chorusgurrl,

Would love to hear about the trip once you return. We are trying to select from the several choices and are very impressed by the wilderness inside passage cruise. It sounds more exciting and adventuresome than the other, but do not know if that is really so.

We also are consideering adding on Denali but the price seems more than we want to spend.....perhaps we will rent a car and do that on our own. Has anyone done separate touring with a car after the cruise..........we are thinking of going to Denali and to Seward for a One day prince william sound tour.

thanks,

• 4 weeks later...

I was on a Cruise West ship "Spirit of Glacier Bay" on the 5 day Prince William Sound cruise. It was fantastic being on a small boat. The first night those of us who requested it were awakened at about 0330, a humpback was spotted about 30 yards from the ship. A few days later we spent about 8 hours following a pod of Orcas who were most often about an arms length from the ship. We may have continued with them much longer, but a guest made very loud noises and scared them off. It was fantastic. Every time we stopped near a glacier we could get as close as possible while the bigger ships were a half mile or more farther from the glacier. The food wasn't great, but it wasn't MacDonalds either. This ship only held about 55 passengers so there was a closeness between guests and crew not found on larger ships. I probably never will take a large ship cruise again, but I hope to travel with Cruise West at least two more times in my life.

After the cruise we rented an SUV in Anchorage and drove down the Kenai peninsula. Stayed at a B&B in Homer for a few nights. Which turned out to be a great recovery time for me as I caught a cold on the cruise. Next we flew on small float planes to a fishing camp in the interior where we stayed for a week. It was all good, but starting out on a great cruise helped set the tone for one fantastic vacation.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Sounds like there is a variety of opinions and experiences.

I have one more to add, from a different perspective!

As a career naturalist/interpretive guide in Nanaimo, BC, I meet the ships' naturalists each time they come to port. They seem quite knowledgable and approachable. I have had two come on my walking tours and they were impressed with what we have to offer.

If anyone is considering a guided walk, have a look: you can book a private tour and you will be met at the dock at a pre-arranged time. Choose your topic: nature, history, spirits or a little of all three! Cruisers have come back after a walking tour and spend several days at local nature and historical areas. www.naturepark.com/tours

Nanaimo Tour Guide

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dr. Tom,

In your posting you said brother and sister-in-law were taking cruise west in Oct 2006. My husband and I are also. We arrive in toyko on oct 3. Is this the one they're on? Would like to correspond with them.

Thanks Pat

Pacmom:

Actually, I will be on the October 22 Cruise West Japan cruise, with my partner. My bother and sister-in-law did Alaska via Crusie West, which is how we learned about them.

Photopro:

From what i can gather on the web, late October and early November in Japan are dry, with daytime temperatures in the 60s-70s and nights in the 40s-50s. It is also the time of year for the maple leaves to change. We'll see if it is as spectacular as here in New England!

ScottnZelda:

We are really looking forward to the trip, and also wondering what the reviews will be after the March/April cruise. We have never been on Cruise West, and have never been to Japan, but the idea of cruising around Japan was so fascinating we had to sign up. I am worried that the food may not be up to the standards we have had on other cruises, but that will not bother me. I am busy reading up on Japanese history and practicing my Japanese phrases.

We are flying into Tokyo one day early, and leaving Osaka one day late. I was able to cash in a whole bunch of frequent flyer miles, and got us two first class seats for the price of the tax, so the extra hotel costs are worth it. Any ideas on how to spend a day in Tokyo?

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Tom

Dr. Tom,

Thanks for the reply. We have been in Japan before. My husband was a career naval aviator--he was there a lot. My trip was about 38 years ago. Beautiful country..Fodors has a new city guide for Tokyo---I think you may be able to see it on line at Fodors.com They also have a message board that might be of some help.

We have taken one cruise west cruise.===the Wine Cruise. Found the food very good, nice selection--always a veggie choice. It was so casual that the continental breakfast set up in the lounge was frequented by people in their jammies and robes. There was also a sit down breakfast in the dining room.

Enjoy your trip. Pat

Archived