Tender Required Questions

DaphneD

Hi everyone,

As a first time cruiser (to Alaska), I have a question about ports in which a tender is required to get to shore. I’ve heard some people say they didn’t have a problem with this, and others had to wait hours.

Can someone explain to me how the process works and give any advice as to ways to avoid a long wait. It sounds like you have to show up and get a ticket (like at the deli counter) and wait until your number is called. Is there a way to find out in advance where/when these tickets are handed out? If you show up early, can you get a low number? And how early would you recommend?

Thanks!

It might help if you listed the cruise you are taking? We sailed a 7 day round trip out of Seattle a couple of years ago and docked at all the ports. So you may not even need to tender. If you do, it isn't that bad, you will go into the theater and get a ticket based on what time and if you are going on a tour. They load based on the times required to get ashore and catch the tour bus or car or donkey. So which ship and what ports for you?

It is always written in the Princess Patter, the daily newspaper where you pick up tender tickets. As Catmand said if you would give us the ship maybe you will not need to tender. Also the newpaper tells you the time. In my opinion that little newspaper is a God's send. It has all of the info you need, where to meet for excursions, meal times, etc.

marilyn

Tender waits are one that really confuses me. I've been on a cruise or two;) and have never had to wait long. My last cruise I read a report from a cruise just prior to mine of 2 hour waits in Cayman. Not wanting to miss my tour I got there early and there was no wait, they were sending people straight to the tender. Perhaps weather conditions cause delays?? Because I just haven't seen delays on normal days.

Scott

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info.

It's the Regal Princess and tender is required at Sitka. I'm not booked for a shore excursion at that port and was wondering how the tender process worked and if I could avoid a wait by showing up early and getting an early number (if indeed wait for tenders is determined by a ticket number, as I've heard).

Or maybe showing up early first thing in the morning will do the trick? Any light anyone can shed would be much appreciated!

THey do it by a ticket system. In the Patters the night before they will have a time listed when they will start handing out tickets. I'm usually not in a rush to get off the ship but the two time I was I got there a few minutes before they stated time and had no problem getting on the first tender.

Scott

Archived