Solo Crusing On P&O

cooper_k

Morning Cooper,

I have just come off the Pac Pearl on 29/10/11 from a nine night cruise.

I was hesitant when i was getting on board (my last solo cruise was back in 2008 on the Pacific Dawn).

Within five minutes of getting on board, i met up with staff from my cruise last year on the Jewel including waiters in the Waterfront (who i booked a table in their section each night), bar staff and Zoltina-J (who has been the cruise director on all my cruises except the Pac Sun in 2006, where Demo was the CD).

I found that i spent most meals with different people, sometimes i ate alone in the Waterfront, but met uop with people that i ate with later during Trivia and some of the shows as well, but still had time to myself and the freedom to do anything or nothing and managed to get the balance right.

In terms of handling the cost, i booked twelve months ahead and paid it off in installments which i have done with my past two cruises. It just made it easier to afford. In terms of the cruise tab, i try not to restrict too much as its a holiday to relax and enjoy

Hope this helps. :)

Not sure if there has already been a post on this, but what are peoples experiences on solo cruises with P&O?

Any tips on:

Handling the cost?

Meeting up with people?

Etc.

Thanks! :)

Hi Cooper

I got your email but now I can't find it to reply :o

Cruising solo has it's pros and cons. It all depends on what you want out of a cruising experience, and I guess how social you are and comfortable in just crashing on people LOL

Tip # 1. Join the rollcall here, other forums and on Facebook. You won't be solo then :D Often I'll trawl the roll calls to find a friendly one then book that one :D There'll always be someone who will be more than happy for you to have dinner with them or hang out, but that's also not a biggy as you turn up to the dining room and they seat you with others. Great way to meet others at meal times.

Cost? Always difficult as we get slugged at least 150%. It's a full time job looking for deals....and you do get them, you just have to keep monitoring websites to see them come up.

P&O also do a single's meet up but I've never had to go to them as I've always found new friends from rollcalls before I've got on :p

The first solo cruise is the most difficult, anxiety wise, but once your onboard it all just slips away!

How would anytime dining work if you're traveling alone? Do they sit you at a table for two or six; or do they ask your preference?

Yes and Yes. I usually just turn up and they seat me with others, table is usually 6 or 8.

Thanks. I'm doing a solo cruise (my first) on the Pacific Dawn on the 19th Nov; your tips have been very helpful.

Hi Whitemarsh

There is a facebook rollcall for your cruise http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=120303111357132 and a Cruise Critic one http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1473249

Join in and you'll have dinner companions before you get on :)

Archived