Anyone on the Golden Princess 5-8-05 Sailing?

cruiserdenny

Hi

My wife and I are strongly thinking of a last minute signup on the above sailing. As a matter of fact, we need to decide this evening to get the room they are holding. We have done 6 other cruises, but never a trans-Atlantic cruise. Is there plenty going on to keep a person busy during the crossing? How is the ride this time of year on the Atlantic? Will I need lots of patches and dramamine? Please respond to these and any other information you might have. Thank you.

Hi Denny,

We are on the 5/8 transatlantic sailing of the Golden and last year did the May transatlantic sailing of the Grand. The Grand went from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen but it is practically an identical ship. To help answer some of your questions.

Did we like it?

Yes, we loved it. Having a relaxing week at sea before a port intensive week in Europe was perfect for me as I needed some down time after working right up to the vacation. There were plenty of standard ship-board things to do but I got alot of reading in also. The only thing I will do differently this year is try to adjust myself to the time difference so I can get up in time for the daily Tai Chi class (hope they have that again this year). Practically every day was a new time zone so we kept getting up later and later. When we got off I declared it my best vacation ever! This year we are doing two transatlantics. This sailing on the Golden and then a reverse sailing in the fall to use up the round trip airfare that we are buying back from this trip.

How is the sea?

Not sure on North Atlantic. It was reasonable coming from Fort Lauderdale. However the ship it going at full throttle the entire time so there is some vibration in the back. We also found in the back the pitching was side to side while in the front it was up and down. I get motion sickness pretty easily so I took the ginger capsules and had them at all meals. Ginger is the same spice you find in your spice section but the FDA says that it is good for motion sickness and I have found it very effective. Last year I brought the pills and the patch for back-up in case the ginger did not work but did not use them. Twice (once after 7 days and once after 14 days) I tried to skip a dose but started to get queasy both time so took the ginger again and it worked. They sell it on-board Princess but it is alot cheaper to get a bottle at your health food store.

Let me know if there are any other questions I can help with. There is a roll-call thread on this crusie which is useful if you do decide to sign up. The "push" cabin prices are amazing. Wish I had waited until this time to sign up.

Cheers!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the quick reply. We are now officially signed up for the 5-8 sailing. Sandy and I live in Perry, Iowa. Our last cruise was this past January when we sailed on the Celebrity Millennium out of Fort Lauderdale. That one was our first cruise vacation without our children or friends with us. We enjoyed meeting people on the trip. We will again be on our own.

I will hunt down the roll call thread and I am sure I will search you out again with more questions. Thank you!

Denny & Sandy,

Welcome aboard! My husband and I have never cruised Celebrity but our reverse transatlantic in the fall is the Millenium in Nov. We haven't signed up yet but that is where I targeted our return flight.

We've had lots of good activity on the board so it should help with shore excursion information and such.

Cheers!

Michelle

We will be on this voyage also. Our 20 yr old son is coming along this time as he will be meeting friends in the UK. We're from the Seattle area and are doing the San Juan portion to New York first. Love the sea days.

Dan and Susan

Archived