Rotorua - thermal parks and spas

patatie

I was hoping I could get some advice from someone on these threads. We are visiting Rotorua on 1st January 2012 (renting a car from Tauranga, and driving down). We are hoping to go to Wai O Tapu and the Polynesian Spa, in that order, hopefully getting lunch somewhere in between.

I am hoping to leave as soon as the ship docks (around 9am), though I realise that this may not actually happen, given that it is New Years Day, and the others I am travelling with may still be recovering from NYE celebrations! The reason I want to leave so early is so that we can see the Lady Knox Geyser eruption.

Anyway, my questions are...

1. Is it possible to visit both these areas in one day (and grab lunch somewhere inbetween)?

2. Approx how long should we allow for Wai O Tapu and for the Polynesian spa?

I should also add that we are docked in Tauranga until 7.30pm (though we are supposed to return out car at 7pm).

I understand that it takes about an hour to drive there and back too.

Any help/advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated - thankyou in advance!

Even starting asap after 9 am, you may not make the 10:15 starting time for the Lady Knox Geyser at Wai-O-tapu unless you are a very fast driver and know the route well. Word is out that the port authority no longer allows car pick up on the wharf itself so you will spend some time on the transfer to pick up your car before you start. Do not despair however it can go on spouting for an hour after 10:15. I suggest you eat either at Wai-O-tapu cafe - quite good with an open air terrace and a range of meals or head right onto the Polynesian Spa and park there, eating in their cafe. Cannot comment on their food. In either case you will not need to find a park for the car while you find and have lunch somewhere else. Street parking in the spa / hotel area of Rotorua can get very tight as we found in 2009 and there is free on site parking for visitors in both locations.

Colleen

I was hoping I could get some advice from someone on these threads. We are visiting Rotorua on 1st January 2012 (renting a car from Tauranga, and driving down). We are hoping to go to Wai O Tapu and the Polynesian Spa, in that order, hopefully getting lunch somewhere in between.

I am hoping to leave as soon as the ship docks (around 9am), though I realise that this may not actually happen, given that it is New Years Day, and the others I am travelling with may still be recovering from NYE celebrations! The reason I want to leave so early is so that we can see the Lady Knox Geyser eruption.

Anyway, my questions are...

1. Is it possible to visit both these areas in one day (and grab lunch somewhere inbetween)?

2. Approx how long should we allow for Wai O Tapu and for the Polynesian spa?

I should also add that we are docked in Tauranga until 7.30pm (though we are supposed to return out car at 7pm).

I understand that it takes about an hour to drive there and back too.

Any help/advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated - thankyou in advance!

Kia ora,

In answer to Q1: Yes. I would allow about 1hr20min to drive to Wai-o-tapu, which is a favourite of mine and has some great colours. The geyser there keeps going for a while so if you are running late just go straight there first (it's on the left before you get to the Wai-o-tapu entrance). if you miss it you will still see plenty of boiling mud and hot water pools and may spot another, EG. at Whaka. To get to the Polynesian spa is about 20 minutes, just return to Rotorua and it's in the Gardens, on the lakeside & near the Rotorua museum. Re; Q2, It depends on a number of factors. we go regularly and find it can be 'done' in an hour but for a first timer you may want to allow more time. Weather etc. may also influence you! There are plenty of lunch spots and you should still have time to sample some of ''free' attractions in Rotorua. EG. Kuirau park & the adjacent area of Ohinemutu are well worth a visit. When I am down there I can see three marae, steam issuing from the ground and the historic church of St Faiths with its carvings and tukutuku panels etc.

With 16 lakes (good fishing) and plenty of forest in the area there is a lot to see!

Aquarians

I will be doing a similar thing early January (4th from memory), hiring a car to drive down. Just curious about the Lady Knox geyser eruption. Why does this happen at a certain time each day? Is it different to other thermal springs in Rotorua area? sorry if these are obvious questions, but I'm a first timer to NZ and appreciate all of your helpful advice. Thanks

I will be doing a similar thing early January (4th from memory), hiring a car to drive down. Just curious about the Lady Knox geyser eruption. Why does this happen at a certain time each day? Is it different to other thermal springs in Rotorua area? sorry if these are obvious questions, but I'm a first timer to NZ and appreciate all of your helpful advice. Thanks

Kia ora,

You mention driving down to Rotorua. It's about three hours drive if coming down from Auckland, or about an hour if driving accross from Tauranga. There are a number of geo-thermal areas in the Rotorua district, with each having its' own characteristics. The Lady Knox at Wai-o-tapu goes off at 10.15am and is 'assisted' with a small amount of powder if it isn't ready to perform. The Pohutu geyser at Whakarewarewa can be seen from there or te Puia and along with its neighbours erupts at various times throughout the day. The following web sites to some of the thermal areas in the region may help: www.waiotapu.co.nz, www.whakarerewa.com, www.tepuia.com, www.orakeikorako.co.nz, www.geyserland.co.nz, www.hellsgate.co.nz, www.waimangu.com. Hope this helps.

Aquarians

Archived