Buying Penis Gourds/New Caledonia

serval_girl

Stop snickering, I am serious! :p Being an anthropologist (although not a cultural one) is my excuse~I have wanted one of these for years- Papua New Guinea is where they are known from but from what I hear they were also worn by Kanaks in NC. So my question is 1) is it possible to find and purchase one of these and 2) what does customs have to say about it?

On a related note-any other must have crafts in New Caledonia and Vanuatu?

Hmm - I must say that I have never seen these for sale anywhere . I suspect that they might be more available in Vanuatu than in New Caledonia - but that is only a guess.

I would not think that Australian Customs would look favourably upon them - they don't like things made out of wood, grass, etc. However my wife has gotten grass hats back into the country

You will find a lot of handmade items in Vanuatu and New Caledonia - all kinds of things.

Barry

Stop snickering, I am serious! :p Being an anthropologist (although not a cultural one) is my excuse~I have wanted one of these for years- Papua New Guinea is where they are known from but from what I hear they were also worn by Kanaks in NC. So my question is 1) is it possible to find and purchase one of these and 2) what does customs have to say about it?

On a related note-any other must have crafts in New Caledonia and Vanuatu?

Penis Gourds are available for sale on line.

http://www.tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pages/Weirdest/Weirdest_Page_2.htm

Third item down.

Only one left!

Colleen

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the replies:) I am worried about customs. I am pretty good at getting things past but do not want to spend money and then had it taken away. Bante I look forward to you update and Collen-why am I not surprised they are for sale online~maybe when I get back if I am unsuccessful I will cheat and buy one online:)

Servals are awesome cats and hyena girl was already taken on another site so I ended up as servalgirl online:)

Archived