Review of Hawaii Dec 10, 2011 POA

Just4You

I found out today that Jenn from Cruise Critic administration will be moving this review from the NCL area to the Hawaii Port area. I'll make sure to post the link to get to it once it moves over.

I found out today that Jenn from Cruise Critic administration will be moving this review from the NCL area to the Hawaii Port area. I'll make sure to post the link to get to it once it moves over.

still waiting for it to be moved

Just4You, thank you for providing such a detailed review. I may be on the same sailing as you on 11/10/12. I have some reservations about the weather because this starts their rainy season and I'll be very disappointed if we don't enjoy the islands.

Come join us on 11/10/12. This is the link to the roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1522507&page=2

Just4You, thank you for providing such a detailed review. I may be on the same sailing as you on 11/10/12. I have some reservations about the weather because this starts their rainy season and I'll be very disappointed if we don't enjoy the islands.

Yeah! Please join our roll call. We go every year, usually around Nov-Dec or April. The weather for the past 10 years has been perfect until last Dec 2011 there were a few cloudy days and only one rain shower in Kahalui, Maui. The islands are even more beautiful in the rain! I would take a rainy day in Hawaii over any sunny day anywhere else in the world.

What a great and comprehensive review. We are hoping to do this cruise in a few years and I loved reading your review for ideas. I definitely know that I want to do this cruise now!

Hi mom2g&p. Let me know if you have any questions and if I don't know I can direct you to the right place. Hope to sail with you in the future!

I SO appreciate your review, and feel much better about the POA! We leave 5/26, with a few days in Oahu before. Thank you for making me remember why we started all this planning and research...a "Magical" vacation!

Hi TapPatapPA, I know you'll have a magical time! I hope you write a review (even brief) of your experience when you get back. May 26 will be here before you know it!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi Just4You

Thanks for your review. Although we're not going on this cruise until 2014, I appreciate your comments and helpful hints.

Regards

Gloria

Hi Gloria, glad you liked the review. The planning stage is almost as fun as the trip itself, so you will have lots of time to plan and dream. Have a great trip!!

Thank you for providing such a detailed review. I've been to Hawaii a few times, but never on a cruise. I was good to see things through the cruiser.

Hi vivavegas, glad you liked the review. Will you be going on a cruise to Hawaii anytime soon?

• 4 months later...

This is my all time favorite review! Thank you for all of the suggestions and descriptions. I noticed that you are going to Hawaii again soon. What are you excited about doing this time? We are going next month, and I think we have the whole trip planned except for the short day in Kauai. You went on the 4 x 4 excursion in 2011, but you didn't say whether you enjoyed it or not. Would you recommend it?

Thank you.

This is my all time favorite review! Thank you for all of the suggestions and descriptions. I noticed that you are going to Hawaii again soon. What are you excited about doing this time? We are going next month, and I think we have the whole trip planned except for the short day in Kauai. You went on the 4 x 4 excursion in 2011, but you didn't say whether you enjoyed it or not. Would you recommend it?

Thank you.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! The 4x4 excursion on Kauai was great, it went to areas that are closed to the public, the vans only held 6-8 passengers but there were 2 vans on our tour.

Here's a copy of another post I recently did regarding shore excursions and what we plan to do Nov 2012:

The best tours, IMO, are those with a limited number of people. Some of the NCL and public tours are limited to 6-12 in a luxury van (they cost more), while others use a large bus that makes you feel like cattle. Best to check out trip advisor and read the comments.

We're going back Nov 2012 and planning a number of private tours that have a limited number of passengers:

Maui: Hana Tour w/Valley Isle Excursions.

http://adventuremaui.com/islandtours.htm

Max 12 passengers in luxury van with huge bucket seats, it goes all the way around the southern tip of Maui instead of backtracking back on Hana Hwy. Price for Valley Isle is much less than with NCL ($112 pp), includes gourmet picnic lunch on glass plates with metal silverware and tablecloth.

Hilo (Big Island): Secrets of Puna

Offered by NCL, did this in past. Limited usually to 6-8 passengers in luxury van. Outdoor BBQ lunch with champagne at Puna Girl Farms. Tour ends with a snorkel at a thermal stream that meets the ocean (gear included). The information provided by shore excursion site on NCL doesn't do it justice.

Kona (Big Island): Dolphin Snorkel with Coral Reef Snorkel advantures.

http://coralreefsnorkeladventures.com

Limited to 6 passengers in nice boat with shade and bathroom ($175pp). Captain Ron takes you out to a pod of spinner dolphins and you swim among a pod of dolphins. I spoke with him today and he was in a pod of 200+ dolphinis. You have to take a taxi for 5min ride about 1/4 mile away to Marina (taxis located right at pier, cost is minimal).

Another great Kona tour with NCL is Secret Waterfalls of Kohala, I did this Dec 2011.

Kauai: Karen Tilley & husband Jay, Kauai Eden Tours.

http://www.kauaiedentours.com/

If you calculate the rate per person, it can be only $150 pp/4 people for an 8 hour private tour. Even if only 2 of you (like in our case), when you consider the price and luxury of having your own private tour guide and compare it to the smaller, exclusive tours, it's a bargain, IMO. She will arrange your day with anythinig you want. Karen is a local and her reviews are great. She emails back or calls you if you have questions. She will take you snorkeling to deserted beach (she provides gear), teaches you how to husk and open a coconut, takes you to a farm to taste the many local fruits, takes you to all the sites without the hassle. You will see more of Kauai instead of being at the mercy of large bus operators, and you can stay as long or as brief as you want.

We are planning 12 hours on Thurs 11/15/12 8am-8pm with dinner and campfire in the evening. On Thursday (the overnight day on Kauai) she will take us northeast all the way to Ke'e Beach to see Na Pali coastline. We are also planning Fri early until we board POA for 2pm sailing, not enough time to drive all the way out to Waimai Canyon, so will probably do something else close by. She gives discount if you book both days.

Oahu: Our last day we always do the Circle Island Tour with NCL since our flight leaves around 7pm. A huge bus (this is the only exception I have with going on large bus tours) takes you all the way around Oahu to several sightseeing spots (you shlep in/out of bus many times), lunch is provided, you go to North Shore, to Dole Pineapple, etc. The bus picks you up right at the cruise ship terminal at 9am (you claim your luggage and there is a short walk to the bus), it stores your luggage under the bus and they drop you off at airport around 5pm. By the end of the cruise we're usually exhausted, and an 8 hour scenic tour around Oahu is wonderful.

For our Nov 2012 trip, we will be arriving to Oahu 3 days prior to sailing on POA. Here are other things we planned:

Waterfalls/Secret Site by Mitch Berger from HawaiiDiscount dot com ($42 pp, he picks you up at various hotels on Waikiki)

Ali'i Kai Catamaran Sunset Dinner Cruise from HawaiiDiscount dot com ($51pp, can upgrade to window seat for $70), includes dinner,drink, & Hawaiian show. This was the best price I could find when comparing the other companies. If you book Friday you can see the fireworks from Hilton Hawaiian Village, they extend the boat ride longer. They pick up at various hotels in Waikiki.

I hope this helps. What is your itenery for your trip next month?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this again. Brought back memories of our trip a few years ago on Pride of America. We loved every single minute of our time on the ship and in the various ports. We had a balcony but only used it early morning while the other roommate was showering. I was able to hear the "AmbassAdor's" talk given from the back deck buffet. Not to be missed, and you can ask specific questions about what you've seen/done, or are about to do. The reason we didn't use the balcony much was that we were so tired from the day's activities, and having eaten late, we just went to bed. We set the alarm in a cell phone so we could see the active volcano (almost missed it since we had to get up only 45 minutes after we'd gotten to sleep) but it was spectacular. I understand that it is no longer visible.

I kept reminding myself that Hawaii had become a state when I was a freshman in college, and since I'm now 72, most people on the ship were not even born yet when this happened.

It was the friendliest, and most cohesive crew we'd ever experienced. absolutely wonderful. Can't use enough superlatives.

If you plan well ahead of time you can accomplish what you want to do each day, with the guidance of others who have done the same.

We rented a car a couple of days, took Roberts tour once (too many people for me), a helicopter flight, and the movie tour in Kauai in a van.

Have a wonderful time in the paradise known as the 50th state.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for posting this again. Brought back memories of our trip a few years ago on Pride of America. We loved every single minute of our time on the ship and in the various ports. We had a balcony but only used it early morning while the other roommate was showering. I was able to hear the "AmbassAdor's" talk given from the back deck buffet. Not to be missed, and you can ask specific questions about what you've seen/done, or are about to do. The reason we didn't use the balcony much was that we were so tired from the day's activities, and having eaten late, we just went to bed. We set the alarm in a cell phone so we could see the active volcano (almost missed it since we had to get up only 45 minutes after we'd gotten to sleep) but it was spectacular. I understand that it is no longer visible.

I kept reminding myself that Hawaii had become a state when I was a freshman in college, and since I'm now 72, most people on the ship were not even born yet when this happened.

It was the friendliest, and most cohesive crew we'd ever experienced. absolutely wonderful. Can't use enough superlatives.

If you plan well ahead of time you can accomplish what you want to do each day, with the guidance of others who have done the same.

We rented a car a couple of days, took Roberts tour once (too many people for me), a helicopter flight, and the movie tour in Kauai in a van.

Have a wonderful time in the paradise known as the 50th state.

Thank you for the wonderful comments above, especially reminding me that Hawaii had been made the 50th state in my own lifetime, as well. We had a wonderful Hawaiian vacation, and POA continues to be my favorite home-away-from-home vacation destination. Please visit the link below if you want to read my most recent Hawaii review from Nov 2012:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1742282

Archived