Vegan success on Solstice

happy trailer

As I said, as an advocate for animals, I find it too painful to see people eating these tortured creatures. I am fortunate that in my life, I can avoid this almost entirely. I'm not missing out, I am lucky that I can surround myself with people of compassion. I have some casual friends who are not veg, but as my son once said of his own friends, he can only get so close to people who do not share his values. Isn't that true of anyone regardless of what the values happen to be?

• 1 month later...
That's good to hear.

My friends were on the Solstice Sep 05, 2011 and they were told that there is no vegan menu & they had to eat vegetarian.

So maybe after all the complaints, something was done about it.

Cruisingly Yours

Trust me, nothing was done about it. Our Summit cruise was a massive disappointment. We spent the entire week trying to figure out what the hell Celebrity was doing when they promised me they were well-equipped to feed vegans. I questioned them extensively and they totally failed on what they promised. Let's just agree that pasta and other white food is not an appropriate meal. When a company known for dining says they will feed you well, you can reasonably expect actual cuisine, not pasta or rice and vegetables.

Not one thing on the breakfast buffet was vegan. (Ok,fruit) Can you imagine? They found soymilk for us most days, so we got a bit of protein.

There was one vegetarian option at the bottom of the menu each night. Not vegan. In essence, we ended up finding a dining manager at every meal and having to wait 20-30 minutes for food. There is literally no vegan bread on the ship except the baguettes. We had to ask for a veggie burger out at the grill, which they had: frozen. So we would wait nearly 30 minutes for a veggie burger. Then we found out the bun had milk, so we ate it without. You call that catering to vegans? Twice we were given food by mistake that was not vegan.

There was never a single dessert anywhere onboard that was vegan. At dinner, our awesome maitre d' tried hard. But the chef seemed almost passive-aggressive the food he sent out was so gross. One night, this "moussaka" was a big pile of eggplant and squash and chunky tomato sauce. Another night, the "ratatouille" was almost the same mess.

It created horrible stress, not to mention occasional hunger. After 4 days, we'd lost weight. On a cruise!

Archived