Portimao, Portugal help?

We will be docked at Portimao on May 16, 2012, I would really like to head up to Silves to visit the Moorish castle and visit the museum in the morning, then head back to Portimao for a walk around the old town and lunch on the promenade.

I know there are tour operators at the dock that do a river trip up to Silves, but they are only there an hour. Not enough time.

Any speculation as to whether hiring a taxi would break the bank? I know there are buses - that would take 45 minutes to 1 hour each way.

Any restaurant recommendations for Portimao?

Many thanks!!!!!!!!

I found the below, however the posting is about 3 years old.

The cruise dock is about 1/2 mile from the city centre. I don't know if taxis meet the cruise ships (hardly worth it for such a short distance I would have thought) but buses and taxis are readily available in the city centre at the Largo do Dique.

It's about 10 miles direct from Portimao to Silves. A taxi will cost you maybe 20 - 25 Euros each way and take maybe 20 minutes. Undoubtedly the most efficient but costly.

There are buses from Portimao (Av Guarane, by the Repsol gas station) to Silves at these times:

0730, 0830, 1045 taking 45 minutes. Buses are for S B Messines; Silves is en route.

Return journeys Silves - Portimao at 1500, 1630 and 1810 (last one)

One way fare is 2.45 Euro.

I can't recommend the train, as the train station in Portimao is about 1 mile from the cruise dock and the station at Silves is also about a mile from town with a very steep hill to negotiate on the way back!

However for the record there are morning trains Portimao - Silves at 0713, 0849 and 1055, journey is 15 - 20 minutes but don't forget the 1 mile walk at Silves! You do get a nice view over the town as you come down the hill.

Return afternoon trains Silves - Portimao at 1410, 1723 and 1834. You could take a taxi Silves - Station and Portimao Station to ship of course.

Hope that helps; enjoy your short stay here in the Algarve.

Written Jan 13, 2009

Read more: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Portugal/Algarve/Portimao-282461/Transportation-Portimao-TG-C-1.html#ixzz1icq37X37

Bus from Portimao to Silves takes about 30-35 min http://www.frotazul-algarve.pt/ Don't know the price. Ships dock very close to center of Portimao from where most buses leave. There is no central bus terminal there; just different stops for different bus companies, both local & intercity.

There is taxi stand in the center of Portimao. My educated guess is that 20 euro should do it but it doesn't hurt to ask. Taxis change flat rate (5.50) for all points in Portimao & PDR but then the meter kicks in outside city limits. Silves is about 17km away. Some drivers speak decent English.

If you have any other Portimao/PDR questions please ask; I go there all the time.

We were in Portimao 1 1/2 years ago and loved the port (did not go to Silves). We spent a few hours taking a delightful local boat trip along the coast line, into some water caves, and got a look at some interesting birds. But the best part of our day was just walking to the opposite part of town (up river) from the dock to eat fresh sardines for lunch. If you have never had fresh sardines in Portimao, you have never had a real sardine :).

Hank

• 2 months later...

Decided to take your advice Hiltner. Rather than tearing around we will take a river cruise if the tides are right during the time we are there, and have sardines lunch at a likely-looking cafe.

ITs' the last day of our cruise before we dock in Lisbon. THere is so much I want to see in Lisbon that we'll use Portimao to stroll and rest and enjoy before immersing ourselves in the city.

THank you all for the suggestions. It's clear that a return trip to the Algarve needs to be on "the list".

Archived