RCI- Monarch Tips (Booze, debark, etc)

We just got back yesterday from a 3 day cruise on the Monarch of the Seas. (LA-Ensenada-LA). Here are some tips that we discovered and others from this board that we successfully used.

1) Bring an air freshener for the bathroom. The closer you are to the bottom, the closer you are to the septic tanks. Enough said.

2) Do not "check" your bag at the pier. For a 3-4 day trip, try and bring an airline carry-on sized bag, especially if you have the "guarantee" room. Those are the last bags to be delivered. After waiting 3 hours, we tipped the cabin steward and she found my bag for us.

3) Both of is brought alcohol on board. We decided to have one person check it in their bag (me) and my friend carried it on in her larger bag. No one said one word. I had a plastic booze bottle in my checked bags. She had liter water bottles in her carry on. Not one problem. No one flinched.

4) Bring a 20oz mug with you. The servers will gladly fill that mug. GET THE SODA PACKAGE! Also, put some dish soap in a travel sized bottle to clean out the mugs. If you have booze in the mug, do not ask them to add the soda or juice to the mug. Pour it in yourself.

5) If you cannot decide between a show, don't worry. The shows are replayed the next day on the cruise line TV station. We flipped on the show we didn't go to while we were getting ready to go out, etc.

6) Bring address labels and jot down your email address to give to your dining mates. With digital cameras so prevelant... we all have shared our pictures of the cuise. We sat with 4 other couples, so we have pictures galore!

7) Any glass with a RCI logo is yours to keep. This is not only for the taller glasses, but the margarita glasses and martini glasses! Do not be afraid to ask the bartender to exchange a dirty one for a clean one on your way out.

8) My friend is a Gold Member. We did not use all of our coupons and there was not a safe in our room. We brought our coupons to dinner and exchanged what we didn't use with other people. One couple didn't gamble so we got their extra coupons and we do not drink coffee, so it worked out well.

9) Our waiter did not blink when we ordered 2 apps and 2 desserts. Do not be shy!!

10) Don't buy your "gifts" until the last full day. Everything goes on sale. Also, most shops are not open the day you disembark, so plan accordingly.

11) On night 1 we got a bottle of rum and paid the $9.50 corking fee so we could bring it back to the room. There was no 2 for 1 special on corking fees.

12) Bring your own sea sickess med. The Pacific is rough and the gift shop sold out within 2 hours. Luckily it was not an issue for us, but some people were screwed.

13) After you get your souvenier glass, be SURE to tell the bartender "I'll have that in a regular glass" otherwise you will pay anywhere from $0.50- $1.00 more per drink just for the glass.

14) Sign up for the rock wall immediately. Otherwise it will fill up. We had 2 high school groups on our cruise....

15) Be sure to hit the art auction for free champagne. Most people think "art auction" and do not go. More free champagne for me!

16) The first night there is a "liquor tasting" on Deck 5, outside the shops. Don't be shy. Ask them to fill the little cup to the top. Bring a coke with you to chase the shot. LOL Hey, free booze is free booze!

17) The RCI tranfers to and from the airport is a joke. Take a cab. Each way it is $40 (Flat rate) + tip. You save money AND time. That's huge. Plus, when you are leaving, you can ask the people in the cab line with you to share the cab on the way back. Still $40 flat rate total.

18) If you DO NOT check your bag with the cruise line, you can leave anytime after the express check out group. (830AM is when we left.) By the way, if you want or need express check out, make that the very first thing you sign up for when you get on board. It filled up by the next morning. With increased security now, it took us 1 hour and 15 minutes to get from the ship to the cab stand. Had we waited for our tag color to be called... we may have missed our flight. The do not check your tag color - but we didn't have one anyway. Make sure you use the bathroom before you get in line, otherwise....

If I think if any more, I will post. We had a great trip and all of your tips made a HUGE difference in our experience. We had the first seating for dinner. Everyone we talked to who had the 2nd seating went to bed afterwards. You will not get out of there until at least 10PM with food coma. I recommend the first seating. Plus, that leaves room for the midnight buffet!

Happy cruising!

Anne

We're going on our first cruise in July (Mariner, RCI, 7 day, western). I've been reading these threads like cRaZy in search of ones like YOURS! (Ya know... the things you learn the hard way- most of the time- the first round!) If you come up with any more tips, please do post!!

THANKS!:D

Chrissy

Always good to read a few tips. I've been on this ship a couple of times, but I never knew about the liquor tasting, so thanks for that.

We're going on the 3 day later this year, we've been on only the 4 day so far. My question to you would be, which night do they hold the formal dinner? One would assume it to be Saturday night, but, what time does the ship leave Ensenada?

Disembarkation can be sped up considerably if you have a passport. It is still not required (until Dec. 31, 2006) for this cruise, but we have ours and the line was 4 deep for us. The line for all others was about an hour long. We will attempt to have only carry ons for our 3 day, good advice there, too.

Thanks for your insight. I hope to go on the RCI 4 Day in December. I've been going CrAzY frantically reading posts and researching the Cruise Compasses. I still can't decide to take alcohol on board or not for fear of not being able to enjoy it, but it seems that the majority of passengers do not have any problems. I will definately sign up early for the express disembark, I had no idea!

Thanks Again :D

• 1 month later...

Archived