BTR-vs-MSY...and car rental or not??

kross

Hoping someone can give us an education opinion. My family of four will be flying into New Orleans for a cruise (during the same time as the NCAA finals in late March) and staying 2 nights at a hotel in Metaire. If we fly into BTR we save $665 on airfare, but will need to rent a car or get a shuttle to our hotel. Keeping in mind that we will have all day Saturday to explore New Orleans (primarily the French Quarter area), would you recommend take the BTR+car/shuttle option or stick with flying into MSY and relying on taxi's to get around?

If it were me, I'd rent the car, but I'm familiar with both cities. I wouldn't think a 1 way rental would be less than $100/day - maybe much less. I would at least go ahead and reserve a rental car - you can always cancel.

Budget might be the best deal. I'd pick it up at BTR, drop off at Budget's downtown New Orleans location, but first I would call them to see if they will be open when you drop off, and also if they will shuttle you to the port.

Hoping someone can give us an education opinion. My family of four will be flying into New Orleans for a cruise (during the same time as the NCAA finals in late March) and staying 2 nights at a hotel in Metaire. If we fly into BTR we save $665 on airfare, but will need to rent a car or get a shuttle to our hotel. Keeping in mind that we will have all day Saturday to explore New Orleans (primarily the French Quarter area), would you recommend take the BTR+car/shuttle option or stick with flying into MSY and relying on taxi's to get around?

The scary part is your statement that you'll be there at the same time as the NCAA's. THAT will make the downtown area (including the French Q), a packed out, howling mess. I'd hate to have to try to navigate a car through all that, and find parking in the middle of it...which might give the edge to the taxis for your touring from the hotel in Metarie.

Central New Orleans and the French Quarter are very walkable. If cost were not the main issue, I'd fly into MSY, take a taxi to the hotel, and taxis to the tours and the port. Metarie is right next to MSY, and you wouldn't have the hassle of returning the car before your cruise either.

But the cost of the taxis will add up, and 4 in any taxi isn't the most comfortable way to travel, so it seems to come down to a question of which is the most important thing to you..the lower airfare and the convenience of having your own car, vs. the higher airfare and not dealing with car rentals, driving in an unfamiliar city, and parking.

Archived