The arrest of the captain is very shocking

Shippy

We will need a lot more than just few crew members reacting properly. I think we also need to think how each one of us would react in case of an emergency. This unfortunate incident shows us that something like this can happen. We at cruise critics love to cruise. Will we stop doing that? Not in my case. What I will do more consciously is pay more attention to the drill and hope that God will give me in such a situation the strength and will to help others while saving myself.

Hear hear! You are a voice of reason in a babble of speculation and gossip

Carnival is a responsible multi-billion dollar company. Had there been a real problem aside from outrageous allegations and accusations, I am sure Marty Arrison would have had better things to do last night than Twitter about his Miami Heat.

Not withstanding outrageous allegations and accusations, I, and I'm sure many others, would consider the incidence of a cruise ship sinking to be a real problem, especially when there have been deaths and probably more to be added to the list. Marty Arrison should have made this matter his priority, not his Miami Heat- or at least abstained from something so trivial as Tweeting about the Heat during this harrowing time.

The port authority made the transcript public in which they order him back to his ship as there are many passengers still in need of help and coordination. He refused as there are just 100 left on board. The port authority then told him there are more than 100 left and already casualties and he asked THEM how many... He then told them he'll go back and never did.

Next thing after that... he was seen on TV giving interviews... still hundreds of passengers on his ship in danger...

Yep. This should be the final nail in the coffin for those blindly defending the captain. I don't have a link but Fox News just played the recording. It's damning. The 911 operator is yelling at/begging the captain to do his job, stay on the ship, and relay information to the rescuers from the bow of the ship. He apparently refused.

But of course, as so many here will probably be quick to say, we shouldn't be discussing this and we shouldn't form any negative opinions about the captain because he hasn't been formally convicted yet. The recording might be fake. Someone could have been impersonating the captain. The English translation might be flawed. Bottom line, it's improper to draw any conclusions whatsoever from the known facts -- or even to acknowledge the facts -- because all facts are reported by the media and the media sometimes gets facts wrong. Right?

Maybe because of my age, my line of work (lawyer) and my experience I,m hardest on judging life facts, so I can,t understand those of you who conmiserate the captain , the real responsible for this awful accident.

The captain,s performance lets ground to further investigation... who can believe he navigated near the cost to let passengers enjoy the view, or to great a friend... most of the passengers were having dinner, at 8,30pm it,s night in the Mediterranean so view from dining room (as well as from may other places in the ship) is 0. Why was he in such a hurry to leave the ship, as danger of death was not yet an issue? Just wondering...

I,m really sad for those people who trusted their lives, their money, their maybe only holidays to Costa Cruises, and I wish that in the future this line pays more attention to their crew.

Archived