Tahitian Princess March 20th, 2006 who's going?

rob&deb

I'm so excited to find this thread!!!! My husband is taking me on this cruise to celebrate my 40th birthday - I never thought I would be so looking forward to turning 40, but I can't wait!!

Laura (& husband Ernie)

ihbsurf (Laura and Ernie):

I see on another thread the you at staying at Beachcomber in OWB. I reserved 2 nights pre-cruise there in standard Lagoon view using FF points. I am thinking of doing one of the nights OWB. What price range did they quote you, (if you do not mind sharing that info)?

I'll be glad to share:

We booked the Motu underwater bungalow directly on their website http://www.tahiti.interconti.com (I'd read that was cheaper, and man was it). We got it for the evening of March 30th, with the breakfast delivered by the outrigger canoe for 37232 XPF. (I think at current exchange rates, that's about $400). I think the price without the breakfast was in the 32,100 XPF range.

Note: I did book the non-refundable option, as the other was almost $100 more - but we could not think of any eventuality in which we would not be staying at least one night post cruise. It ended up being only about $100 higher than the lagoon room and really about half the price I was expecting for an OWB. We couldn't afford to do it for a week, but for one night, we decided it was worth a splurge - we probably won't make it back any time soon.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be glad to share:

We booked the Motu underwater bungalow directly on their website http://www.tahiti.interconti.com (I'd read that was cheaper, and man was it). We got it for the evening of March 30th, with the breakfast delivered by the outrigger canoe for 37232 XPF. (I think at current exchange rates, that's about $400). I think the price without the breakfast was in the 32,100 XPF range. ...

Laura

Laura: This is a great price. I was online looking for something in that $$ range but everything was for much more. Went back online after reading your post and then figured out why. The only OWBs listed are Junior Suites. The non-suites OWBs are not listed for the dates I was searching. I checked a couple of other dates and the non-suite OWBs showed up. Looks like they are all booked on the embarkation and disembarkation days. Maybe Princess has these on hold in a group for possible upgrades. I'll just keep watching to see if any get released. And I will call the toll-free number to see if anything is available. Maybe I'll just book the Suite for now and hope something less expensive opens up. This could be the "once in a lifetime" trip and a "lagoon view" just doesn't cut it :) Thanks for sharing your price info.

Wow, you're right - the one I booked doesn't show up anymore at all. Got lucky I guess - saw a post by LaurieB that the direct website is cheaper. When I first looked, the dates hadn't opened up yet - after checking again, they had and from looking at other sites, I knew it was a bargain. Talked my husband into it the next day and decided to just bite the bullet and take the risk on the non-refundable room, since we couldn't imagine any event where we wouldn't want to spend that night. I've learned the hard way not to wait on other trips.

The airfare is getting tricky for us too - we want to fly on FF miles to LAX. At this point, I'm having to guess when the ATN flights we want are going to be based on last March because to get the FF seats we want we had to book the first leg a couple of weeks ago, the return trip tomorrow morning, and the ATN won't open up until May 15 according to princess. We're reserving their air and hoping to find something cheaper on our own. If not, $819 (plus $75 deviation) doesn't look so bad. In the long run, it will pay off, but it's a little dicey right now.

I think we're going to do 3 days precruise in Moorea - I'd like to do a more authentic pension, but I'm not sure I can talk Ernie into it - I'm still working on him. If not a pension, probably we'll go with the Moorea Pearl or if I can find a deal, the Sheraton.

Laura

I also use FF points/miles. I booked Friday night at hotel near LAX using FF assuming will may need to layover there and do LAX to PPT on Saturday. Can always cancel if needed. I have 2 nights FF rewards at Intercontinental in Papeete and want to change the Sunday night to $$OWB. We plan to do our own GRR-LAX using FF but are waiting to see what LAX to PPT we do. It's tough spending $819 + $75 deviation on such a long flight and not earn any miles. I'm trying to figure out how to use NWA miles but it is still too far out today. So I keep checking each week (or night :D )

MichTraveler - are you only looking in Tahiti? I'm trying to decide on precruise accommodations in Moorea. I really wanted to do a pension, but my nervous husband is not wanting to stay in an unairconditioned fare or bungalow before the cruise, especially after he heard (or read on these boards) about bug bites. He has this vision of us spending 10 days on the cruise miserable from infected bug bites - and I must say they do tend to eat me alive.

I'm thinking seriously about booking the Moorea Pearl Garden room for hopefully 3 nights (maybe 2 if I can't get out of Tahiti we we arrive on the 17th). It appears if you book now you can get 2005 rates and they're cancellable up to 7 days before arrival. I can't see much of a down side -- if I can find a great deal at the Sheraton, I can still grab it later. I guess for this trip, Pension Motu Iti is out, but there's always hoping for a next time!!! Who can complain about the Moorea Pearl, it looks really nice and I think was Conde Nast Traveler's 2004 Hotel of the year in FP. Tahiti Nui Travel site shows much cheaper prices and they have gotten favorable write-ups from Jan Prince, so I'm e-mailing them to try to get a deal - I've got my fingers crossed!!

Laura

I booked 2 nights in Papeete using FF. Then I booked one night OWB Suite (all non-suite OWB booked-up). So I am double-booked for one of the nights. I can cancel FF or $cash reservation once the date gets closer and I have some flight plans and decide which I prefer. I have heard excellent reviews about the Intercontinental in Papette so we're giving it a try.

My brother-in-law & sister-in-law stayed at the Intercontinental both in Tahiti and Moorea and had wonderful things to say about both. I'm sure you can't go wrong there. We're still booked there one night post cruise - just pre-cruise I'm still trying to decide on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I wanted to post again before this got lost forever. Glad to see that there are a few people already booked on the cruise. We too are staying at the Intercontential in Tahiti post cruise for three nights in an OWB. I can't wait!! We have never been and have always wanted to go. Now I have to really start researching the ports of call . Any great books/websites that anyone can recommend?

Thanks

Deb:)

Jan Prince's Tahiti and French Polynesia Guide was recommended to me and has been great. I couldn't find it here locally, but ordered it from Amazon along with one from somebody Moon. It was ok, but Jan Prince's is bigger and more detailed.

tahitiexplorer.com is also one of my favorite websites along with

thetahititraveler.com

I too am researching ports of call - it takes a lot of time.

Greatly looking forward to this cruise!!!

Laura

Hey MichTraveler,

I've been working on my Tahiti trip and looking again at the Intercontinental in Tahiti and Moorea and noticed that the Overwater Bungalows showed up on the Internet for the prices I got -approx 32500 xpf or 37200 with breakfast - if you're still looking. Dates I was looking at are March 18 - 20 - not sure about what dates you were looking for. Down side is they are not cancellable.

Laura

Hey MichTraveler,

I've been working on my Tahiti trip and looking again at the Intercontinental in Tahiti and Moorea and noticed that the Overwater Bungalows showed up on the Internet for the prices I got -approx 32500 xpf or 37200 with breakfast - if you're still looking. Dates I was looking at are March 18 - 20 - not sure about what dates you were looking for. Down side is they are not cancellable.

Laura

Someone must have cancelled. Rates are listed for 30 day adv (non-cancelable) and flexible (more money but can cancel). I've been watching this site, so they must have opened up in the past couple of days. Got mine reserved now :D Thanks!

Mich-Yea!!! I'm glad you got it.

Deb - Hope you find those resources helpful, I've spent a lot of time researching and still feel like I've only scratched the surface. But....since I consider that half the fun, it will keep me busy for a while.

I'm kinda bummed out, I thought I had figured out how to transfer Delta FF miles to Intercontinental points and stay free precruise at Intercontinental in Tahiti. It appears that the transfer only works from Intercontinental to Delta, NOT Delta to Intercontinental. Looks like they're the only airline that doesn't allow you to transfer miles OUT to other "partners". The regular room prices aren't THAT bad, but I would rather stay free. Also I found a small bed & breakfast on Moorea that I loved and e-mailed them about availability, but haven't heard back yet. I guess if I lived in Paradise, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to check e-mail either, but you'd think if it is their livelyhood, someone would be checking it periodically.

I haven't been having great luck lately with the particulars of this trip...I need a change of luck. We're headed to the beach on Saturday, so maybe that will recharge my batteries!!

Laura

Archived