Before You Cruise - Timeline Checklist

croozluv

Thanks very much for the list! I did a hand written one for my first cruise last year and of course I can't find it now that I'm getting ready for my second! Don't really know what I was thinking! :rolleyes: You have saved me a bunch of time! Thanks! :D

GREAT LIST!!!

Just booked a cruise and have both sets of parents coming, none have cruised in >10 years. This is such a big help.

I do have a couple of questions, it's been 5 years since our last cruise:

1. Check in - Required ID: Adults--‐Passport OR a DL and Certified Birth Certificate. Kids uncer15--‐Certified Birth Certificate. – I thought you HAD to have a passport book or passport card now. We're getting close to final payment day and have one set of parents that still haven't gone to get their passport application approved. If they only need the BC - then we're all set.

2. Muster Drill - how have they changed the Muster Drill - comparing your list to after the Concordia disaster? Last time, I think they finally just had us go the appopriate lounge and not outside to the actual lifeboat (as in the past), did not have to put the lifejacket on. What is the process now?

3. You listed the hot tubs as salt water. I remember the pools being salt water, but not the hot tubs? Is that true now?

4. To reboard in a port - you need your SS card plus a picture ID. I'm not positive - but seems like I don't remember needing a 2nd ID to get on the boat. Not a biggie because I LOVE putting my keys in the safe for a week, but would still take my wallet out when in port anyways.

Thanks!

Thanks everybody....I'm glad to know my lists are a help to so many people, it makes it more worth my time!

Required ID: Adults--‐Passport OR a DL and Certified Birth Certificate. Kids uncer15--‐Certified Birth Certificate. – I thought you HAD to have a passport book or passport card now.

You have to have either A or B:

A) Passport

B) Government issued ID (like driver licesnce) AND an official birth certificate with raised seal.

2. Muster Drill - how have they changed the Muster Drill - comparing your list to after the Concordia disaster?

Previously, I had only been on a 4 day weekend cruise so I don't remember much, but I DO remember having to use life jackets at the muster drill. This past week on the Legend, we didn't have to use jackets, but we DID have to stand out by the life boats, on an open deck, at our designated Muster Area. I made sure I brought up the back of the crowd of people heading to our area- I wanted to be one of the first to get back to the "insides" of the ship. But there were 3-4 cabins of people that took at least 20 minutes after I showed up, and we all had to wait. How rude! It gets hot out there!

3. You listed the hot tubs as salt water. I remember the pools being salt water, but not the hot tubs?
I didn't go in the hot tubs but my nieces did and, on the Legend at least, they said they were salt as well.

4. To reboard in a port - you need your SS card plus a picture ID. I'm not positive - but seems like I don't remember needing a 2nd ID to get on the boat.
Good memory! We never needed to show our license to get back onboard. In fact, I asked about that because I didn't like risking losing something if we would never need it. I was told that, as far as Carnival is concerned, all they want you to have is your SS card. But the Port Authority of each island (we went to Cozumel, Belize, Honduras and Grand Cayman) require each person have a photo ID so they can be sure you aren't illegally leaving their country. Apparently, the government officials of those lands choose randomly who they will ask for ID from. We were never asked, but I would have hated to be asked and not had it!

One other thing I will touch on here - and maybe this isn't the right spot, but here goes. Re: Identification - My husband and I decided we would check-in using our passports, then put them in the safe for the rest of the trip. We also took our state driver license for getting off the ship (in conjunction with our SS card). I can't tell you how many people told me that wasn't necessary, just check-in with my driver license and birth certificate. We told our friends what we would be doing and they decided to do the same. Turns out, they had their wallet either lost or stolen in Belize. Gone was all their credit cards, money and YEP! their driver licenses.:( Luckily, they had their SS cards on lanyards around their necks, and weren't asked for ID when they got back on the ship, so they had no problem getting aboard. Guest services helped them contact all their credit cards too. BUT, if they hadn't had their passports in their safe, they would have had a heck of a time getting through customs once we got back to Tampa. I even got a hard time with my passport since six years ago my hair was dyed black and now it's blond.:eek: So basically, it turned out to be a very good thing to have back-up ID in the safe! I would definitely recommend that to others and that's what I'll be doing next time we cruise.

Hope I've been a help to you!

Enjoyed the list but wondered why you need to put your toothbrush in the safe?
Because I'm paranoid! :D We do that even on land hotels. In fact, even at home, I don't put my toothbrush in the bathroom. It's hidden away from anyone and everyone. Yes, I'm a joy to live with LOL! Weird that such a germ freak had an "incident" like I had on my nightstand (that I wrote about in my review).

saw "dog bones" listed a couple of times. What is that?
I take my female greyhound cruising with me. :D Just kidding! Take the bones snorkeling with you and the fish will take little bites of them. Great way to attract pretty fish!

Thanks for the quick reply, and YES it did help.

Looks like my side of the family technically has what they need to go -I had to look up on the passport website what passes as a "certified" BC - "raised seal" vs "colored stamp". Either is correct - where they are issued may do it differently.

But, given the age of some of our group, I think, and the Carnival website STRONGLY recommends having a passport. And, you don't need a passport ONLY for cruises beginning and ending at the same port (IE. you DO need one for a trans Panama Canal cruise).

I'll have to check those hot tubs out this June. I own a hot tub and know the different types of chemicals needed to keep it sanitary. Just can't imagine that with salt water; but hey - stranger things have happened. ;)

And, I do appreciate your discussion on the taking the passport on shore or leaving on the ship. There's always lots of threads debating this and I've always been on the "I'd rather have it with me" side. But, after your discussion and talking with fellow cruisers at work - you're picking the lesser of the evils. Do you think you have a better chance of getting mugged, or missing the ship? We're ALWAYS back to the ship on time, but have been concerned about a vehicle breakdown, etc. Unfortunately, the way the world runs today, theft really is a higher risk. I may just move over onto your side of the fence on this one. :)

And, I do appreciate your discussion on the taking the passport on shore or leaving on the ship. [...] I may just move over onto your side of the fence on this one. :)
I can't imagine where my friends would be if they didn't have that passport in their safe. If they had carried it with them, it would be gone too. And with that customs agent questioning me (with both my license and my passport), I can't imagine they would have had much fun getting back onto dry land! Glad my story helped you.:)

That is a great list. I would have never thought to put your personal info inside your luggage too in case the tag comes off! I will do that this time thanks for that tip.
I got that great tip from right here on Cruise Critic! :D You guys are all so smart with this cruising business. What a great site I stumbled upon!

I also am a list maniac....I could not go on vacation without it. My next cruise is with 4 of my friends...and I already told them I will be forwarding a list prior to us sailing. I will also have a checklist to go over when each gets in the car to leave for the airport:D

The last thing I would want is to get to the airport (2 1.2 hours away) and someone not have their passport.

Yes I am crazy...but it works for me :)

I have my own list, but I printed your one page and six page one out anyway because you have a couple of things on yours that I didn't have on mine.

I think it's funny about the toothbrush thing!:p We all have our little things about us that me us unique!

Thanks so much for the lists, you did a great job!:D

I know you cruised already, but thought I would add this for future list makers:

Set up post cruise transportation.

Make copies of all your credit card phone #s and acct #s in case you lose them or they get stolen, it's easier and less stressful to have all the info in one spot and calls can be made right away. You can change the card #'s around a little for safety. Ex: if the card # is 1234, make it 2345 so you know that each # is one digit lower, or write it backwards or switch the last set of #s with the second to last set. You get my drift.

Buy luggage tags that you make yourself (from kmart/walmart/target...). They are clear self laminating that you put together. Put your name, phone #, cruise ship and dates of cruise.

• 9 months later...

Archived