Sunpass -portable or mini?

cruisefamily1

We are driving from the midwest to Miami for a cruise soon. It looks like it will be faster to get a Sunpass so we don't have stop at the toll booths. My question is which Sunpass are we better off getting - the portable or mini? I don't think we will be frequent travelers to Florida. The mini is cheaper but I don't want it on my windshield once we get back home. Can you hold it against the glass when you go through tolls or won't that work? I know I can take it off once I get home but what if there is money still left on it since that makes it inoperable?

I also saw that the $4.99 is rebated back once you put money on it. Is this true with the $25 from the portable? Thanks.

Looking at the FAQ page for Sunpass:

"The Mini Sticker Transponder must be permanently mounted to the inside of the windshield or it won't work, because the windshield acts as an antenna. Once removed, the Mini will no longer function and cannot be reattached to the windshield."

I'm not sure if holding on the windshield will work. You might call Sunpass and ask them, but I'd bet they will tell you the company answer that you need to permanently mount it.

"Contact the SunPass Service Center at 1-888-865-5352 to close your account, deactivate a transponder or receive a refund of any remaining balance on your prepaid account. Customers must provide their account and PIN when calling for assistance. Be sure to remove the transponder from the vehicle."

According to the Customer License: "I understand that unless directed otherwise by SunPass® my transponder must be properly mounted on the inside of the vehicle's windshield."

Not debating the pros and cons of using toll roads for your trip, if it were me, I would opt for the mini and mount it on the windshield. You can get a rebate on the mini (free) and there is a way to close your account and receive the remaining balance in your account. Once your trip is over, you can take it off the car.

Won't there be around $17 worth of tolls? How many booths will I have to go through? Its a 24 hour drive and we want to shorten it as much as possible.

From which cruise port are you cruising? If cruising from Jacksonville or Tampa there are no tolls. If purchasing a Sunpass by all means get the Mini. The box doesn't come with any rebate. You will need to pre purchase so you can set up your account (I would suggest auto charge from your bank at the least amount - I think it's $5 this way you wont be out more than the cost of the pass.

If you going out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami and wish to get there as quickly as possible then don't use Alligators Alley instead use Florida Turnpike. And the Florida Turnpike to Beeline Expressway (528) out of Orlando for Port Canaveral.

We are leaving out of Miami and definately would appreciate the fastest way as we have 3 kids and its worth a little more money to spend less time in the car.

So only the mini has the rebate? If thats the case then the mini seems the way to go.

From which cruise port are you cruising? If cruising from Jacksonville or Tampa there are no tolls. If purchasing a Sunpass by all means get the Mini. The box doesn't come with any rebate. You will need to pre purchase so you can set up your account (I would suggest auto charge from your bank at the least amount - I think it's $5 this way you wont be out more than the cost of the pass.

If you going out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami and wish to get there as quickly as possible then don't use Alligators Alley instead use Florida Turnpike. And the Florida Turnpike to Beeline Expressway (528) out of Orlando for Port Canaveral.

We are leaving out of Miami and definately would appreciate the fastest way as we have 3 kids and its worth a little more money to spend less time in the car.

So only the mini has the rebate? If thats the case then the mini seems the way to go.

I looked at the latest Sunpass web site and apparently you can buy and activate your mini pass once you arrive in Florida. Actually you could wait till you start on the Florida Turnpike at the first Service Plaza (it's before the first toll plaza) and purchase a Sunpass mini.

If you have any questions, contact SunPass Customer Service toll-free at 1-888-865-5352, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 7 PM, or Saturday 9 AM to 1 PM or visit us online at http://www.sunpass.com.

"You may open a TOLL-BY-PLATE prepaid account online at http://www.tollbyplate.com or by calling 1-888-TAG-TOLL (888-824-8655) Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and avoid the monthly administrative charge. Any tolls you incur will be charged to the credit or debit card you provide when you set up the account."

This is a much better option for out of state vehicles. You dont have to worry about having the mini stuck to your windshield (it does not come off without destroying it) or batteries for your transponder.

You can also catch I-10 at the Florida Panhandle (you'll cross it if you are taking I-75 down - not sure where in the midwest you are coming from), and then take I-95 all the way down from Jacksonville to Miami. There are no tolls on 95 in Florida, except towards South Florida 95 has express lanes, and those lanes cost money.

Archived