Oasis Proposal Help Please

A.Bursell

"She would not like to be embarrassed, so no large crowds (though a few people would be ok if necessary). And she would also not like a huge event made out of this. These are things I know about her"

In keeping with the privacy issues, another spot to consider is the solarium area. It is really beautiful at night and dinner in the Solarium Bistro is quite nice with the billowing white curtain panels and white covered chairs.

"She would not like to be embarrassed, so no large crowds (though a few people would be ok if necessary). And she would also not like a huge event made out of this. These are things I know about her"

In keeping with the privacy issues, another spot to consider is the solarium area. It is really beautiful at night and dinner in the Solarium Bistro is quite nice with the billowing white curtain panels and white covered chairs.

This is a very good idea. Make a mental list of possible locations and check them out when you walk around the ship on day 1. Check lighting, hidden spots etc. Might be a good idea to review some pictures on here from previous cruises.

How romantic!!! Congratulations!!!!!! :D:D:D

If it were me and my boyfriend was proposing, I'd want it to be a totally private moment, like on the balcony of our room. When my ex proposed it was in public and I just remember it being very swirly and surreal and weird. Not what I would have preferred. If your girl embarasses easily she would probably like the moment to be private. Just my two cents.

Again . . . congrats!!!

Thanks again for the replies. I like the photo idea, because I think it would be great to have that moment, but I wonder if it might be too much as some of you have suggested. I'll have to think about that a little more.

I do like the idea of some random person being close by and asking them to take our picture, and then surprising her that way. But I have to rely on someone being close by (if I can't pre-arrange something) and taking a decent picture, etc. That pushes me more towards the pro instead. Which would be more difficult to pull off as a surprise. And, as mentioned, it might be too much for her anyway.

I will definitely be exploring the ship and looking for the right spot at the right time. The park sounds really nice though. I am the kind of person who likes to plan something this big, which is very difficult in this situation. At some point, I know I will just have to "wing it."

But I appreciate all of the help. And please, if you have new ideas or more input, post it up. I have less than a month to go now, but still plenty of time for this.

Oh, and we will be doing the dolphin swim in Nassau. Maybe there?

Adam

Here is a suggestion for you from someone who has proposed to someone on a ship before...tell her you have all this video where she is filming you and you are filming her but you don't have any video of the two of you together...tell her you would like a video of the two of you together and hand the camera to someone to film you...then you can have the whole thing on tape (or whatever it's called these days).

We had found a nice couple early on in our cruise so I cued them in on things so they knew I was going to propose. I also opted to do it on deck during the day. Turns out it was a good move. You see us walking around the deck and then we approach the camera and I get down on one knee and ask her. It's a fun video to watch.

The best part (other than the fact she said yes) was all the cheers and applause afterwards. At the time I didn't even realize it.

Best of luck to you.

One more vote for the "private is best" crowd. I'd murder my boyfriend if there was anyone else there when he proposed!

That said, ask her best girlfriend. She'll know what's best. I'venever been someone who dreamed of marriage but my current boyfriend is so great that my best friend knows how he should propose, my ring size, and what types of rings I like.

Oh, and I recommend proposing as early in the cruise as you can. On our last cruise, there was a young couple at our table and the older couples started teasing him about proposing at the very first dinner! On about night three they realized that my boyfriend and I aren't married either, so they ganged up on him too! It really would have spoiled the surprise if either of them had planned on proposing.

Just as a thought, as much as the photographer idea appeals to a lot of people, definitely consider if that's what your lady would prefer. I love that my engagement was private and is a memory I only share with my spouse. A photographer present certaintly wouldn't have ruined it, but it would have created a different vibe and put me on the spot in a way I wouldn't have been as comfortable with.

This! Part of me wishes that we had pics of when DH proposed but I knew I wouldn't have been happy it not being 100% private. We did recreate the moment during our engagement photo shoot and that was ok for me. But I also knew it was happening that night (DH is a bit predictable and suit jackets don't hide a ring box well!) and it was to windy for him to head towards our spot.

Congrats no matter how you do it, I am sure it will be perfect and memorable. DH proposed last May and we got married in Sept (fast engagement but we knew what we wanted and didn't want to wait lol!) and there are days that i still cant believe it!

Here is another idea for you....

(If you do this I accept no blame at the results whatever they may be).

My GF (now wife) at the time and I were talking about getting married. The cruise was coming up and I knew she wouldn't be surprised at me proposing on the cruise. So I had to, get that thought out of her mind for the surprise to be real.

My GF wanted to get a very nice necklace on the cruise at one of the ports. I said why don't we get one before so you have for the formal nights to wear. So as part of her birthday present (and my plan) I got her a very nice diamond necklace. When I gave it to her she was very happy... I told I wanted her to look pretty on the cruise and that hopefully this would tide me over for another year from getting her a diamond ring (yeah I went there). I explained money was tight and that really, we can wait another year before thinking about getting married. :(

Yeah that got me in the dog house for a week or so, but it served it's purpose as she was shocked when I proposed. The ends justify the means...

I have never been on the ship, so I can't help with location, but I do have some thoughts...

Do it early in the cruise so she can enjoy wearing her ring and maybe buying some wedding magazines to sit by the pool.

Do Not put the ring in food or drinks. It's gross, sticky and woman don't like it. Present it in the box or just out of the box. It will be professionally polished and cleaned and look it;s best.

Congratulations!!!!!!

through out the ship there are these view finders that you look thru and see hidden things. i dont know if it is possible but if you could arrange for the ring to be in one of the viewfinders and pop the question after she looks into it that would be very private you would only have to have a crew member to get it in ther - or idf they can put the words will you marry me and you have the ring. you can spend the day looking thru different ones and ending up at the marry one. you might be able to write it on microfilm and cut it to ythe size and you lkook first while sneaking it on the view finder then let her look

Thanks again everyone! :)

After thinking about it a couple days, I think I am pretty well set on Central Park at night. I do still think it would be nice if there was a photographer there.

Are there certain times that Pros are there normally? Or certain times that they work (up until 8:30 or whatever hour) that I could make arrangements?

Otherwise, I will have to rely on someone else taking pictures. My roll call has not been the most active, even when I try to start conversations, so that might not go as well as here. :D

Adam

• 1 month later...

Late update, but ... I did it!

After we got back from swimming with the dolphins, on the first formal night, in Central Park before our late dinner, I asked her! Then we went and took formal pictures. It turned out really nice. Thanks for the help! :D

Adam

Congrats!!!! You will always have special memories!!!

I too had a cruise engagement ( a few years back now... lol) Mine was a little more spontaneous in the jewelry store where I thought we were just "looking" at rings!!!! We found one we both liked.... he asked me if I wanted it... I asked him if he was serious.... the sales lady thought we were haggling with the price and dropped it down... a few times.... and finally he asked me ... "will you marry me? and you can have THIS ring!!!!!!

Archived