Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

TRANSLATED:

Isola del Giglio - Seizure of property for the former commander of Concordia Schettino. The decision was taken by the gup of Grosseto following the trial of suspects for the sinking of the cruise ship Costa.

At the request of prosecutors, the judge for the preliminary hearing has ordered the seizure of movable and immovable property of the three suspects: Francesco Schettino (captain), Manrico Giampedroni (hotel director) and Roberto Ferrarini (fleet crisis coordinator). The magistrate decided to "freeze" the assets of the accused if convicted.

It is limited to a transcript of the registry office on the parcel, without the need to seal the buildings.

I had to hold be breath a second when reading a article in marine log, that noted the following:

1. The 6 platforms and the cassions are using a total of 24,000 metric tons of steel..........now that I did not know and that is a lot of steel!

2. They are using 14,000 cubic meters of grout in the bags!

3. There are 100 engineers and 80 divers and an additional 450 workers , all on site and working in shifts around the clock.

I don't know if your folks had already had those figures, but it was new to me and a bit surprising!

Hi Tonka

As you say the whole operation is on an amazing scale with those stats.

I wonder if the lack of apparent progress could be put down to them stripping all the inside structures out. hard to believe that over 600 people are working round the clock for all these months and very little changes are visible. Do you think that the staffing includes those that are working at the shipyard making the caissons?

If they are stripping out the internal walls etc I thought we might have heard that survivors might be receiving their possessions back such as jewellery

Hi Clive and Anne,

Well the article says *housed on site* so I took that to mean there on the work and floating craft or in civilivalvcia (spl) and riding out to the site by boat each day.

The article also said the delays are due to further precautions to protect the integrity of the damaged vessel, heavy weather, increased complexities related to the precarious positioning of the vessel on the sheer rock ledge and vigilant efforts to provide safety for the work crew.

Also extreme care being taken to safeguard the environment.

I am sure there is likely to be one or two of these salvage projects that have finished on time, but I have never heard of one.

The latest refloating is looking like fall 2013.

AKK

Looks like a busy day in Giglio.

One of the larger platforms seems to have arrived on site with another couple of vessels.

Micoperi has moved back presumably to allow the platform to be positioned.

That would be platform #1, one of the largest of the six platforms.

Hi Ken

There was actually two platforms arrive today.The smaller of the two is being lowered as we speak and a second, much larger, platform sailed off to the right of the screen about 2pm BST.

Story on platform one, largest of the 6 platforms. It appears that platform one was built as two separate components that were combined and installed as platform one when installed.

http://www.giglionews.it/2013040459574/news/isola-del-giglio/installata-la-grande-piattaforma-numero-uno.html

phoca_thumb_l_img_0386_3.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_img_0379_1.jpg

SB ... There is a video or two on youtube of the Brilliance of the seas breaking free from moorings in Civitavecchia during a storm.

Most know I am not a fan of Carnival!

However in this case its NOT Carnivals fault. When in the shipyard' date=' the vessel's safety is the responsibility of the shipyard, including keeping the vessel alongside the pier.

A prayer for the missing man overboard.

AKK[/quote']

I'm not saying it was Carnival's fault. I'm saying Carnival can't catch a break. I'm not a fan of them either but I do feel bad for the line and the Corp.

Last I had heard was one man went in the water, was found, and hospitalized. Was there another missing man?

I'm not saying it was Carnival's fault. I'm saying Carnival can't catch a break. I'm not a fan of them either but I do feel bad for the line and the Corp.

Last I had heard was one man went in the water, was found, and hospitalized. Was there another missing man?

Sorry SB, I didn't mean to say you were blaming them, I just wanted to explain the situation.

The last I read was there were 2 men that were blown into the water when their guard shed was blown over. One was found and the other was still missing!

AKK

We know from the weekly progress reports that platform 1 is three main pillars wide, the last progress report said that drilling for platform 2 still has to be done (not 'is under way').

I think the recent pictures show two platforms, not two parts of one platform. Did they bring two platforms to site and then took one back? Doesn't sound very plausible.

One other thought has crossed my mind: If they install the platforms first, before the caissons, how will they lift the caissons over the entire width of the platform onto the Concordia? Can Micoperi-30 go/float over the installed platforms? Its max draft is 5.15 m, is there that much clearance over the installed platforms?

Its revolving (mainly yellow) crane can lift 204 t @ 18 m outreach. That doesn't seem to be enough to reach over the width of the installed platforms?

An interesting read!

** Insurance **

Insurers’ alarm at Costa delay

Marine insurers have spoken of their concern and frustration at the failure by the Italian authorities to deliver an investigation report on the causes of the Costa Concordia accident within the one- year target set by the International Maritime Organisation.

And the International Union of Marine Insurance (IUMI) says its worries about passengership safety will be high on a list of 17 key topics that it will pursue through a new political forum to lobby such bodies as the International Maritime Organisation and the European Commission. IUMI president Ole Wikborg said 2012 had been ‘a real bad year’ for underwriters, with the hull and machinery market facing its 17th consecutive annual deficit as a result of the huge costs caused by incidents such as Hurricane Sandy and Costa Concordia.

Mr Wikborg said the IUMI political forum would have cruiseship and ferry safety high on its agenda in the wake of the Costa Concordia.

‘We are frustrated that the investigation report into the Costa Concordia grounding has yet to materialise,’ he added. ‘One would have expected such a major event to have at least resulted in a preliminary report being produced at an early stage,’ Mr Wikborg said. He suggested the investigation should yield some important lessons that might result in new regulations including seafarer training, bridge team management, evacuation, stability and watertight compartments.

Mr Wikborg said insurers are particularly interested to learn why Costa Concordia suffered the loss of power within a few minutes of hitting rocks off the Italian coast last January. IUMI wants to know if design and construction can be improved to increase watertight integrity and make vessels less vulnerable, he pointed out.

‘From an investigator’s point of view, I can understand why they want to get everything right but as an industry we would have liked to see things move a bit quicker and see what is there for us and whether IMO regulations and IACS rules need to be changed,’ he added.

Mr Wikborg said ‘human element’ issues remain critical and the shipping industry could do more to adopt principles used in aviation including a ‘check and balance’ culture of communications and tighter risk management measures. IUMI ocean hull chairman Lars Rhodin said he was very surprised by how early shoreside management had decided to ‘draw a line’ between themselves and the master and crew. ‘The culture applies across the organisation, and it does not look good,’ he added. Mr Wikborg said underwriters are now starting to look more closely at risk factors when insuring ships and suggested pricing could eventually reflect such factors as a vessel’s history, port state control record and charterers’ experiences.

We know from the weekly progress reports that platform 1 is three main pillars wide, the last progress report said that drilling for platform 2 still has to be done (not 'is under way').

I think the recent pictures show two platforms, not two parts of one platform. Did they bring two platforms to site and then took one back? Doesn't sound very plausible.

One other thought has crossed my mind: If they install the platforms first, before the caissons, how will they lift the caissons over the entire width of the platform onto the Concordia? Can Micoperi-30 go/float over the installed platforms? Its max draft is 5.15 m, is there that much clearance over the installed platforms?

Its revolving (mainly yellow) crane can lift 204 t @ 18 m outreach. That doesn't seem to be enough to reach over the width of the installed platforms?

Good questions on the sequence of installing the platforms then the sponsons. I would imagine they've calculated the depth needed to position a lifting barge over the underwater platforms. Perhaps it could be even a different barge than the Micoperi 30.