Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

BBC have a time lapse for the daytime stint today, so no doubt there will be a time lapse once the whole operation is completed. Amazing and its come even further through the night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24119836

Several hours reduced to 16 seconds. ;) It was a good view of what went on. Thanks for sharing.

Does the sponsons need to be filled before it finishes or does it keep rising as the sponsons get filled?

I thougt they were filling the sponsons very slowly and controlling the rotation of the ship as the sponsons fill... shame we don't get a view of the sponson filling. i'm off to bed, in the morning the Concordia may be upright. :)

Looks like its stopped again

I thought that too but I started taking screen shots every ten minutes of the close-ups of the bow from this site -

http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/livestreams/livestream-eins100.html

When clicking on the saved pics in succession you can really see the movement. Like a time lapse.

Thanks to everyone here for all the great updates and links provided!

At this point there is nothing keeping the ship from rotating further if the sponsons are filled. The cables to the platforms are probably doing nothing by now except keeping the ship from falling back and the cables from the anchor block towers can only pull to rotate further. But I don't see any movement yet indicating that there is bouyancy.

Clive, you are young enough to hang in there one night without sleep, right?:D

I find that the older I get, the more I WANT to sleep, but the less I actually do. One of life's ironies! I was with you here at 2:20am my time this morning (9:30am for you) but I did check out for about 5 hours after that. And then again this afternoon for a bit. (I'm starting to believe that when we are old we kind of live our lives like cats...:eek:...we eat, we do our grooming, we take care of business - killing bugs and such - and we take a lot of naps.)

Thus tonight...you can practice being a cat. Watch things for awhile, take a little nap, put some cold water on your face, have a snack (some chocolate?), kill a bug or two if necessary, and continue the cycle to keep an eye on things.

Interesting here, stateside in the central time zone, is that dawn over there is around 11pm our time. I'll be here watching to see how she looks at first light! Can't help it...you guys have had me hooked lurking here for months! What an amazing day this has been!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Wow. You can definitely tell where the ship has been resting under the weight of itself on the 2 mountain peaks. They weren't kidding when they said there was significant damage.

2rqnm68.jpg

That looks very significant. I wonder what the implications are for attaching starboard side sponsons.

It does look like considerable damage, will there be another further to the stern where the two pointy bits held her in place.

As I understand it ,the port side to the right of the screen will drop and the starboard side to the right of the screen will rise. The ship should settle on the platform with the sea level around deck 7 which is the deck below the Bridge which is the widest deck we can see.

The latest press conference just now basically said that everything is going to plan but slowly and the next press conference is 4am which I think is 5am BST although by now I have lost complete track of time.

Yes, there is damage visible near the stern but seems to be a wider area and not nearly as destroyed as the other section because the area between decks in the balconies of what I think are decks 7, 8 and 9 is stil recognizable. The starboard bridge wing is likely beginning to rise from the water. The ship is now rotating at a noticeable rate. I have the live feed full screen in my 32 inch TV and when they put the close range view you can see things slowly disappearing on the right edge.

And as I write this they just put another camera showing the damaged starboard section near the stern. That was one of the cameras used to show the towers during daylight.

Edited by luisrp
Spelling errors

I wonder if they will attach less sponsons now give the significant damage to the port side hull.

Possibly, but perhaps they know about this from dives etc? I can't imagine this is all a new revelation except for us watching online right now.

Yes, there is damage visible near the stern but seems to be a wider area and not nearly as destroyed as the other section because the area between decks in the balconies of what I think are decks 7, 8 and 9 is stil recognizable. The starboard bridge wing is likely beginning to rise from the water. The ship is now rotating at a noticeable rate. I have the live feed full screen in my 32 inch TV and when they put the close range view you can see things slowly disappearing on the right edge.

And as I write this they just put another camera showing the damaged starboard section near the stern. That was one of the cameras used to show the towers during daylight.

Hi Luisrp, which feed are you watching?

I watched her go down and I have been drawn to this thread ever since we returned home from Italy! I have learned so much from all the experts on this sight and I am very grateful for that! We watched from the pier that night and my husband's comment that night as they were telling us to go ashore and get off the pier was that we had never watched a ship sink and unless someone came along with a gun, we weren't going anywhere, but staying there to watch. As a side note, we did not know that others were having such a hard time getting off...we had an easy evacuation after the delay!

Tonight I am even more fascinated to watch her coming back up...my prayer is that the workmen will all stay safe and that the two bodies may be located and finally put to rest in their homeland.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread....it is truly an amazing thing to have been part of and we will return to Giglio in a few months to say thanks and to see the ship upright!!

I am reading now that it will be spring before she is dragged away. I thought I read earlier that it would be 10 days? Which is it?

spring

Extensive repairs will have to be conducted on the starboard side to allow attachment of the sponsons, and ensure that the attachment is structuraly sound.