Curacao Distillery & Sea Aquarium

CharmedMom

We will be in Curacao June 6th 2012 on Carnival Freedom. Our first interest is in the distillery. Is the distillery within walking distance of the pier? I have found two Carnival excursions that include the distillery, but would really like to do the distillery tour on our own if it's possible.

As for the Aquarium, one of the Carnival excursions is for the distillery and the aquarium - I have read a few things about the aquarium (besides it not being as nice as the ones in the states that most of us are used to) saying that it is mostly run down and lots of sections closed off due to renovations. Can anyone tell me if this is current information? Or any information regarding the aquarium would be great - what is it like, what are the conditions of it, what is there to see and do?

It is my daughter's 15th birthday, and I don't want her bored out of her mind with a bunch of scenic sight seeing - I want to find something fun for us to do on her birthday and not go back home and say her birthday sucked because all we did was look at a bunch of scenery and old buildings. She wants to see the Curacao distillery as well (she got to see the Rum distillery in St. Thomas a few years back and enjoyed that), but there has to be something else that is fun that doesn't involve greenery and buildings (and please don't mention beaches - we aren't beach people, can't stand sand in places where it doesn't belong and hate getting it in our shoes and clothes dragging it everywhere, plus she is a very fair skinned person that requires being slathered in sunscreen wherever we go - the waves in the ocean tend to make the slathering of sunscreen have to happen more often). Suggestions?

We will be in Curacao June 6th 2012 on Carnival Freedom. Our first interest is in the distillery. Is the distillery within walking distance of the pier? I have found two Carnival excursions that include the distillery, but would really like to do the distillery tour on our own if it's possible.

As for the Aquarium, one of the Carnival excursions is for the distillery and the aquarium - I have read a few things about the aquarium (besides it not being as nice as the ones in the states that most of us are used to) saying that it is mostly run down and lots of sections closed off due to renovations. Can anyone tell me if this is current information? Or any information regarding the aquarium would be great - what is it like, what are the conditions of it, what is there to see and do?

It is my daughter's 15th birthday, and I don't want her bored out of her mind with a bunch of scenic sight seeing - I want to find something fun for us to do on her birthday and not go back home and say her birthday sucked because all we did was look at a bunch of scenery and old buildings. She wants to see the Curacao distillery as well (she got to see the Rum distillery in St. Thomas a few years back and enjoyed that), but there has to be something else that is fun that doesn't involve greenery and buildings (and please don't mention beaches - we aren't beach people, can't stand sand in places where it doesn't belong and hate getting it in our shoes and clothes dragging it everywhere, plus she is a very fair skinned person that requires being slathered in sunscreen wherever we go - the waves in the ocean tend to make the slathering of sunscreen have to happen more often). Suggestions?

The Curacao distillery is not in walking distance from the Pier. If she does not like beaches and old buildings, there is not much more to do, unless she likes to shop. I did think of one place that might be of interest....the Sheta Boka Park. Great spot to see the Caribbean on the north side of Island. then you can head west to eat at Jaunchies. My suggestion, get you a driver for the day, tell them what you want to do with the suggestions you get here and go for it. There is also an Ostrich Farm if you like that sort of stuff.

Good luck.

The Curacao distillery is nothing special, the Ostrich farm is fun though

Thank you for your opinion curacaoqueen, but I have no interest in ostrich's (I hate birds and think they are stupid - just my opinion there), but do have an interest in how alcohol's are made. As a bartender, I enjoy learning about the alcohol's out there ... and it just so happens that I know how to make a couple of drinks with the Blue Curacao that are rather tasty.

Distillery has interesting exhibit and tasting bar but is full of tour buses.. We went to west shore on our tour (Boca Table?) and it was amazing... rocky with waves crashing ashore ... my son at that age would have thought that was pretty cool. I loved Curacao but if you aren't interested in ostrich farm etc. there isn't much for kids ex. beach and aquarium and beach is out too so....

Don't mean to crash your plans, but the distillery is not very interesting. You don't actually get to see the entire process (it will be explained to you and you need to take their word for it). You will see how they fill the bottles, get to taste some of the flavors and then it's time to leave.

The only exciting thing to do at the Seaquarium is to swim with the dolphins. But if you don't swim, shop or sightsee, then Curacao doesn't have much else to offer your daughter, unfortunately....

Check out the Kura Hulanda museum or Shete Boka. Hope you find ways to enjoy your stay on Curacao.

there has to be something else that is fun[/b] that doesn't involve greenery and buildings (and please don't mention beaches - we aren't beach people, can't stand sand in places where it doesn't belong and hate getting it in our shoes and clothes dragging it everywhere, plus she is a very fair skinned person that requires being slathered in sunscreen wherever we go - the waves in the ocean tend to make the slathering of sunscreen have to happen more often). Suggestions?

My suggestion is you take her skiing in Vail or Steamboat Springs. Why are you bringing her to the Caribbean if she doesn't like beaches?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for the same information as you are, and am still considering the Sea Aquararium. Sorry I can't be much help, as my daughters are only 6 and 4, so I don't really know what a 15 year old would like. I know the sun is a factor, but has she ever done a "Swim with the Dolphins"? I know they offer that at the Sea Aquarium, and it seems that would be very memorable. My daughters would go crazy if they could do that, but it is not in our budget.

The other things I've seen as options are:

1) Snorkeling/diving or taking a semi-submersible to see the coral reefs.

2) ATV tours

3) Jeep safari to North Shore or the National Park.

4) Hiking Tours to the rugged North coast, the salt ponds at St. Michiels, the Christoffel Park or the Hato desert with it's ancient caves.

If you google search for "curacao tourism tours" you'll find several websites that offer options and guided tours, such as the ones above.

Please post back here to let us know what you decide.

I disagree with the previous poster about skiing in Vail instead... not much snow there in June. ;)

Thank you for your opinion curacaoqueen, but I have no interest in ostrich's (I hate birds and think they are stupid - just my opinion there), but do have an interest in how alcohol's are made. As a bartender, I enjoy learning about the alcohol's out there ... and it just so happens that I know how to make a couple of drinks with the Blue Curacao that are rather tasty.

Well guess what, there are lots of birds in Curacao and they are very pretty, watch where you eat because they will come near your table and steal your sugar. No alcohol being distilled at the Chobolobo distillery either, just samples.

Archived