January Weather

nauticaz24

Hey there everyone! Just a quick question. Going on the Caribbean Princess in January, and was curious about the weather. i saw the average is 79, that seems nice! How would you say the water is if youve been around that time of year, warm enough to swim/snorkel??? Thanks for your help!!

We sailed the second week this year. It was quite windy (trade winds, I guess) and we had showers every day but one. There was a lot of bounce on the ship on the trip out but much calmer on the way back. On St. Thomas there were a few brief showers in the morning, and when we got to the mountaintop we had a downpour that probably lasted at least an hour. After that it cleared off for the afternoon. Temperatures for the trip were in the 70's and hit the low 80's a couple times. The rain was no real problem, if you got wet you just waited five minutes and it was warm enough you became dry. As for snorkeling, the beaches we chose had waves so we didn't go. I would get info from others on beaches that are less likely to be on the windy side of the islands. You may have to wait until you get there and ask for suggestions as to which beach would be best on that particular day.

From what I've read on these sites, the trade winds blow during the winter months to cool the islands off and from reviews I've seen, it sounds like our weather was quite typical, except we may have seen more rain than others. We may have spent a couple extra hours indoors while onboard, but I was really not disappointed and the weather really never kept me from doing anything I wanted during the week. Also, if you've purchased your tickets, there's nothing you can do about it. Go with the idea you're going to have fun and find alternative things to do if the weather is not ideal. Remember you can buy clothes over whatever you may need at stores on the islands. Have a great time-but be open-minded as to alternative plans. There are so many things to do and many can be done on the second or sixth day of your cruise.

Archived