Nagasaki Japan port of call

wharf rat

wharf rat, We were in Nagasaki March19 with Crystal Harmony. ship dock at Matsugae Pier, it is very close to several tourist attractions. Head out from the dock, you can cross the pedestrian bridge to the Oura Catholic Church and Glover Garden. Turn left on the main street (out side of the dock), you will be in Dejima in about 10 minutes walking. The street car# 1 (also turn left outside of dock, you walk about 3-4 minutes, you will see street car waiting staion, make sure you are going the right direction and the right line), will take you to the Peace Park and War museum. The cost of street car is 100 Yen per trip or 500 Yen for a daily pass. The war Museum cost 200 Yen PP.

Type NAGASAKI STREET CAR MAP in Google, you can see the Peace Park is in stop #20. Street car is very crowded, keep your eyes on the name or number of station stops, you enter the car in the rear and exit and pay or show the pass in the front. Don't wait until your stop to move forward, you may not have time to exit the car through the crowd.

If the ship docks at dejima wharf, you can take the streetcar #1 directly to Peace Park and War Museum. If the ship docks at Matsugae Pier, you need to take streetcar #5 for 2 stops and change to streetcar #1 at the transfer station. There is only 1 transfer station for the entire street car system. If you are not using a daily pass, remember to ask the driver for a transfer voucher when you pay and exiting #5. Transfer is free. Peace Park and War Museum are about 1 block apart. Lots of street signs(in English) posting direction to either place.

On the return trip, you can get off at Dejima Wharf or Chinatown and walk to Glover House and over the bridge to ship at Matsugae Pier.

Lisa, Thanks for your info. It is much appreciated. I can't see taking a pricey ship tour ($69 for a 3 hour bus tour) to go a few blocks if I can do it myself, and spend as long as I want there. I did go to the Hiroshima Museum so I imagine this is about the same. It is history and I am going on the Pacific Princess WWII tour. And of course, the war ended there.

The only hint I get of where we dock is the following: " From the pier walk approx 5 minutes to the station and board a local city tram. It is a 20 minute ride to Peace Memorial Park".... It even costs $49 for the ship tour using this local transportation. Think I will do it myself!

Mahalo

Lisa: Thanks also for the street car info. We will be in port all day so it may be worth it to buy a day pass. Maybe just ride the car to see where it goes? Can I buy this from the driver? Or an automated machine? I have been in Japan before and am used to their crowded transportation.

We will be stopping at Okinawa before Nagasaki so I imagine the money is the same there (yen). I think it is about 100 to $1. Heck, I can just buy some here before I go! :)

wharf rat, We docked in Nagasaki on a Saturday and the local bank were closed. Crystal Cruises arranged for a bank to come on board to provid money exchange service, the exchange rate was only 90 yen to US $1. You can do better getting some yen in Hawaii. A Tourist Information Booth was set up right on the dock, you can get the Street Car Day pass there, they will take Yen and US dollars( you should have some small US bills, I am not sure if they can give you changes back in US$). Since the Day Pass is only $5, you sure can ride them (4 different cars) to see Nagasaki if your time permits.If your ship is docking only 5 minutes away from Street car station, I would think it is the Matsugae Pier, you need to take car# 5 and transfer to Car# 1 to go to Peace Park and War Museum.Pacific Princess is one of my favorit ship, we sailed on her last August from Tahiti through Easter Island to Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you LCMANDELL. We will be in Nagasaki on a Wednesday. We will be there from 7 am till midnight. That should be enough time to see all in the downtown area. We will be in Okinawa on a Monday. So it should not be hard to get a few yen in each city. I am not a big Japanese shopper now since the exchange rate is not in our favor. I do like their ice cream tho'. And little snack munchies.

There are volunteer guides available in both South Korea and Japan. The goodwill guides do not take any monies for their time. Of course you would pay for their fares and food etc. For Nagasaki Goodwill guide - contact: napia@nia.or.jp Sachiko Watanabe Nagasaki International Association.

We chose not to go into the War Museum. We did visit the park and had an overwhelming feeling of loss and regret for so many lost on all sides. Didn't need to go into the Museum to understand that we don't want to go down that path again.

We brought gifts from Canada for each of our guides and a huge bag of candy for the kids in the school in Vietnam and the Village in Malaysia.

Thank you for the email address. Do you also have one for South Korea? We shall be in Pusan. The bag of candy that we bought when we visited a school in Northern Thailand was also a great hit. At first the children were shy, but in a few minutes it all disappeared. Louise

Archived