a day in Athens

giraffelt

We are booked on Oceania Riviera May 16th sailing from Venice to Athens. We arrive in Athens on Saturday May 26th. Our plan is to fly to Istanbul in the evening giving us a full day in Athens.

Given the uncertainties of the economic/social situation I am a bit concerned about what arrangements to make for transportation. Part of the problem is we will have our luggage with us. There will be 6 of us so a lot of luggage. Oceania doesn't have any information available yet on day excursions although our preference would be to arrange private transportation.

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Larry

Problem is the combination of large number of luggage, along with same day arrival / same day departure.

Athens city is right in the middle between the seaport and the airport.

Or to say it differently, seaport is one side of the peninsula, airport the other side, and city in the middle.

I guess you have some options, still, you 'll have to be a little flexible:

What i 'd personally do would be to book a hotel room for the day somewhere int he center to dump luggage / freshen up. I 'd use taxi on the way in / way out.

This can be an option if you really have that time frame available on your hands. I mean, if you are leaving the cruise ship at 6am and flying to Istanbul at midnight, you really want to have some place to get your luggage in and get some rest, instead of walking around all day long.

This is the highest cost option, but you can really find a centrally located hotel, near to the sites for 60 - 80 euros.

A taxi from the cruise ship terminal to the hotel and then a taxi from the hotel to the airport would be the less puzzling option for commuting, if you carry a lot of luggage.

The last time we were in Athens, we used a wonderful guide. We will be using him again in October. His name is Fotis and he may be able to arrange a large vehicle and show you around and drop you at the airport once you are done. Let me know if you want his info.

Archived