Just returned from the Golden. Any questions?

mik

I have noticed the experience in the PC dining room can be hit or miss.

When we were on the Grand last year we experienced similar things. Rushed service, staff in a hurry. This year on the Star we were pleasantly suprised when the PC dining was great, friendly staff, no rush. What I did find interesting is that our favorite head waiter on the Star was on the Grand the year before the same time as us. Perhaps the maitre'd has a large influence on the experience. If so however was running the show on the Star had it perfected.

Scott

Thanks for the info. Did you sail out of San Juan at 11:00 pm like we are? If so, was there a sail away party? What night is the Carribean party on a 7 night cruise? What movies are currently being shown on board? Any special things that we should be sure not to miss - particular meals, 'secret' areas of the ship, etc.? Do most of the shows 'sell out' - or are seats generally available?

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to answering questions. I will try to include as many as possible. I notice that some have already been answered. Regarding Personal Choice, I don't know the name of the Maitre'D in the Donatello Dining Room. As far as whether you can have a table to yourselves, yes you definitely can. There are tables of 2,4,6,8,etc. Not only that, we found that if there was not a table specifically for two, we would immediately be seated at a table for four, which would then be set for two. We also saw tables being moved together to accommodate larger groups. If your goal is to eat only with your party and eat quickly, you will be satisfied. If you are hoping for a nice relaxed leisurely meal, forget it! They are so bent on getting you in and out, the pressure is palpable. Regarding the entertainment, someone asked if there was a Hypnotist, and there was, but we could not get into that show. We did see a comedian whose first name was David. He was hilarious. Others asked about the Island night. There is one and it happens on Wed or Thurs. night. This is our sixth cruise on either the Grand or the Golden and it was our first time going to Island night. Our girls had stayed up for all of them, but we could never seem to make it past 10pm. Anyway, we decided to stay up and go and it was worth it. Both of the bands, Deep Blue (excellent) and Blueyes(also excellent) played. People were dancing all night. There were contests which were hilarious and the crew were so much fun. It started at 9:30 and lasted three hours. The party then continued up in the Disco. Sorry, couldn't last that long! Martin, the assistant cruise director was great. Regarding excursions, we don't tend to do many, and if we do, they are organized privately. In San Juan, we took the city bus from our hotel on Ashford Ave. for a mere 25 cents each way. It was air-conditioned, clean and a great way to get into old San Juan. We toured the fort and surrounding area. Entrance to the fort is $3. We went to the cathedral on Calle Christo. It is very pretty. We stopped at El Picoteo, a tapas bar and restaurant next to El Convento Hotel on Calle Christo. This place had a lovely atmosphere and was a perfect spot to enjoy delicious Sangria and some tapas. It is practically across from the Cathedral. We shopped a little and returned to the Ship. Post cruise we spend the day at the Marriott Hotel and enjoyed their facilities right on Condada Beach. For $30 each you can use their pools, fitness room, store your luggage, and stay as late as you like. This was a perfect way to end the cruise. About 15 minutes walk from there we went to a little restaurant called, Waikiki. It was recommended by a cruisecritic poster. It is on Ashford Ave. Go right to the back of the restaurant and you will find a rustic stone patio overlooking the sea. We had a table next to the railing and watched the waves crash up on the rocks. To me, it doesn't get much better than this. In Aruba, we arranged a sail and snorkel excursion. This was fantastic. It is called Robertos Private Snorkel. They have a kiosk on the beach near the Holiday Inn. The cost is $35 for three hours. This includes two snorkel spots including a coral reef near shore and one further out, at a German shipwreck. This trip included an open bar, water juice, sandwiches and fresh fruit. There were only eight of us on a good sized catamaran. Great music playing. Terrific crew. Highly recommended. In Grenada, we climbed up to the fort for amazing views. We walked into town and shopped a little. We had a drink at a restaurant called Tout Bagay. It was at the opposite end of the town, closer to the ship. It didn't look open but we went in and were glad we did. The restaurant is upstairs and overlooks the harbour on one side and the Grand Anse Beach on the other. In the afternoon, we took a water taxi to Grand Anse Beach. This cost $2 each way. The beach was very crowded, but if you walk down to the other end it is not as congested. Another poster commented on the very short time allotted in Margarita Island and I agree. This was a lovely spot with a great beach, some quaint bar/restaurant areas and a small shopping market. But realistically how much can you do from 7am to 1130am. I do wish they would extend this time in port. I will stop for now, but welcome any more questions. Sorry if there is a little delay in answering questions.

I have noticed the experience in the PC dining room can be hit or miss.

When we were on the Grand last year we experienced similar things. Rushed service, staff in a hurry. This year on the Star we were pleasantly suprised when the PC dining was great, friendly staff, no rush. What I did find interesting is that our favorite head waiter on the Star was on the Grand the year before the same time as us. Perhaps the maitre'd has a large influence on the experience. If so however was running the show on the Star had it perfected.

Scott

Hi Scott, like you we were on the Grand last year but had good experience at dinner - used Deck 5 and had same waiter most evenings. Never rushed. Table for 2.

This year on The Star, we again used Deck 5 - found the perfect waiter the first night. We were accompanied by friends this time and except for one night got his table.(Table 31) His assistant was also very, very good. :)

Does not sound as tho the Golden lives up to her sisters. I was thinking of her for next year.....:)

Archived