here's an interesting review of the Sun

Gaznjo

I believe you Eileen, of course, but I am not telling 'porkies'...LOL,,on our cruise, which went Syd to NZ return, lots of 2 seaters and very few larger tables. Only thing I can think of is that they altered the config. By memory it was one of the first cruises done by the Diamond downunder. Not a big deal....but if they have changed, then it is for the better. It is a lovely ship, and we particularly liked the English pub lunches onboard. We had a big cc group onboard too, which was fabulous.

They must have realized that us Aussies are a gregarious lot and want to mingle most of the time LOL

We've just got off Sun Princess. We looked forward to dinner times. Our tablemates were wonderful - we had some marvellous conversations and our waiters were both absolute treasures. The head waiter for our section was also great, coming by for a laugh and a bit of a chat most nights. If we'd had 'snobbish' people such as those described above, we would have asked to be moved to another table.

At other meal times we were always asked if we would like a table for two or would like to share. We struck it lucky, so no complaints from us.

Welcome back Sandy. I think you would have a good time on a Greek ferry!!! :D

Tell us about Sun Princess. Someone who was with us on Oriana to UK went on SP to NZ - they said the food and staff were VERY good but thought the ship was not suitable for long voyages ie WC or even 40 day Cherry Blossom. What do you think??

Barry

Welcome back Sandy. I think you would have a good time on a Greek ferry!!! :D

LOL Barry. :) Sorry to sound like Pollyanna, but I feel so lucky to have done what we have, and I really can't find anything much to whinge about. What's not to like about cruising????

Tell us about Sun Princess. Someone who was with us on Oriana to UK went on SP to NZ - they said the food and staff were VERY good but thought the ship was not suitable for long voyages ie WC or even 40 day Cherry Blossom. What do you think??

Barry

First, I must say I can only compare it to the Pac Dawn......

Depends how badly you want to do a long cruise and whether or not you can afford a suite/minisuite. I did find the staterooms smaller than Pacific Dawn, particularly the bathrooms and wardrobes. (Pacific Dawn takes a lot of beating with its bathroom/open wardrobe area layout.) We had a deluxe oceanview which was the same size as a room plus balcony altogether, so the ordinary OVs and interior rooms would be even smaller.

Sun Princess has a Promenade Deck which goes right around the ship, although not a lot of deck space up top. There are plenty of lounge areas though it was sometimes hard to find a chair, in the Atrium lounge and Princess Theatre particularly. There were a lot of older people on this cruise and you could count the children on two hands - I think it would be similar on a longer cruise. (Actually the theatre was very cramped and although larger, I much prefer the layout of the Pacific Dawn's theatre. On the other hand, the Vista lounge on Sun Princess is good and some shows (other than production shows) were rotated between the two.

Given a chance, I would do a world cruise on the SP, but you know me, haha. :p Also the Circle perks would be a great drawcard for me, as well.

Archived