Cell Phones?

CruzerKat

Does anyone know if Motorola/Nextel cell phones work in Alaska?

There is a website called Howard Forums that deals with anything about Cell Phones. Has forums on the differant providers, etc.. I don't have the URL but you can do a search on google.com for it. IIRC though there is no Nextel service in Alaska.

Hey, great idea about walkie talkies! What brand/distance did you buy and how much were they?

I just bought some $10 US phone cards at Walgreens, with in-store coupon, they are buy 1 get 1 free!! Hope they'll work well in AK!!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any info on Verizon service in Alaska? Thanks

I was in the Verizonwireless store this afternoon, because I was also wondering, and want my son to be able to reach us in an emergency.

According to the Verizonwirelss rep, there is service in the 3 cities I will be visiting, Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. She also told me how to check, using their website, for coverage in an area. From their website (verizonwireless.com), first click on the type of plan, from the next screen click on the Plans tab on the top of the screen. This gives you a drop-down box, the last choice in which is "coverage locator". Once you click on that you get a map, and although it doesn't show Alaska, if you scroll to the bottom of the screen you can type in the name of the city and it will give you coverage information.

That having been said, once you get the results for the city in Alaska, while there is coverage, I'm not sure how good that coverage will be. So, I think I'm going to make sure I have phone cards with me as well.

I work for Verizon Wireless. When I go on vacation I leave my cell phone at home. I'm not that important, but I'm glad you all are :)

Keep those paychecks coming :)

brad g.

p.s. if you do get a call with an emergency, what are you going to do about it?

Well, if I get a call that says my 16 y/o son is hurt/seriously ill I'm GOING HOME!

You can always get an emergency call on the ship, through the ship. Much more dependable than cell coverage in Alaska.

Verizon does NOT work in Alaska, except for limited coverage in certain towns. ATT/Cingular works the best.

Alaska also is subject to a lot of roaming charges. Alaska is not included in most plans with most companies. Neighbors got back from Alaska last October (they live in AZ part of the year). Their new ATT service was supposed to work all the way from Ketchikan (where they live) to Arizona. It worked, alright. $387.00 in roaming charges for 14 phone calls. Roamed into a lot of off the wall phone companies, which are only available in off the wall places. Some of the charges were in excess of $8.00 per minute. Beware of your cell phones in Alaska.

I work for Verizon Wireless. When I go on vacation I leave my cell phone at home. I'm not that important, but I'm glad you all are :)

Keep those paychecks coming :)

brad g.

p.s. if you do get a call with an emergency, what are you going to do about it?

I'm sorry, I talked to my coworkers today and they all agreed, please take your phones and make LOTS of calls.

Can you imagine the horror if you came home and found out the kids that cuts your grass didn’t show up? Oh the humanity :)

I'm sorry, I talked to my coworkers today and they all agreed, please take your phones and make LOTS of calls.

Can you imagine the horror if you came home and found out the kids that cuts your grass didn’t show up? Oh the humanity :)

I really don't believe that this forum needs sarcasm. People have different reasons for needing to communicate which are really no ones business but their own. I don't need a cell phone this trip, but have had previous occasion when I was worried about a sick relative when I did need my phone, and yes, if I got a message of a serious problem, I would fly home!!!!!!!!

Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all?

Sorry, just needed to vent - your attitude is not called for.

I think taking and using a cell phone just for fun is a great idea - as long as people have the common courtesy to keep them on silent mode in public places - especially dinner. I will sure take mine and I intend to use it from my balcony to call my 3 oldest kids just so I can tell them what I'm seeing. You know - a play by play account. It's much more fun to share the experience in real time since it's actually possible.

This isn't Vegas you know - "what happens here, stays here". And some of us can't wait until we get home to tell all. :)

I really don't believe that this forum needs sarcasm. People have different reasons for needing to communicate which are really no ones business but their own. I don't need a cell phone this trip, but have had previous occasion when I was worried about a sick relative when I did need my phone, and yes, if I got a message of a serious problem, I would fly home!!!!!!!!

Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all?

It's called humor, try it some time. You might like it :)

Hey, great idea about walkie talkies! What brand/distance did you buy and how much were they?

I just bought some $10 US phone cards at Walgreens, with in-store coupon, they are buy 1 get 1 free!! Hope they'll work well in AK!!

Hi Annabanana,

The walkie talkies are Motorola walkabouts and are supposed to have a 10 mile range...pretty small and rugged built and came with a charging stand for both.

Don't know the cost...BF bought them.

I thought that his post was hilarious. Since when is "your attitude is not called for" saying something nice?

I just got off the phone with cingular. They said that there is no charge other than the standard minute deduction while in Alaska. That is for those with a no roaming charge plan. From Vancouver the total long distance charge to call back to the USA is 79 cents a minute.

I just got off the phone with cingular. They said that there is no charge other than the standard minute deduction while in Alaska. That is for those with a no roaming charge plan. From Vancouver the total long distance charge to call back to the USA is 79 cents a minute.

Thanks, Mommabean....

I've got Cingular Nation with a GSM phone, so I should be all set. My long distance and roaming charges are included in the monthly fee that I pay for my plan.

JR

I really don't want to take my cell phone with me, but my disabled wife is staying home and I need to call in a couple of times and make sure the help showed up and she is okay. Does the ship's phone number (or contact number) come with the shipping docs? Can a call be placed on board using the ship's phone?

Humor:

This kid goes on vacation. When he gets home his dad meets him in the front yard and says, I’m sorry to tell you this but Fluffy your cat died.

The kid can’t believe it. He’s shocked. He tells his dad, that’s no way to break bad news to me.

First you should say, Fluffy was out playing in the back yard and climbed up a tree.

Then you should have said, we tried to get her down for three days. We finally had to call the fire department. When we got her down we rushed her to the vet, but unfortunately there was nothing he could do.

The father says you’re right, I’m sorry.

Then the kid says, how’s mom? His dad replies, well, she was out playing in the back yard and climbed up a tree.

Texasbob,

Suggest you speak to your TA or the cruise line.

On RCCL in 2000 (in the Caribbean) I was able to call home from my room, direct dial, no problem, although the charge was really steep (like a dollar or more a minute).

As I recall there was also an emergency contact number available for those back home.

Recently I heard that you can receive a print out of an email at sea – delivered to you room - if addressed with the appropriate protocols (like your name and room number in the Subject line.)

Again, I’m fairly certain it is doable, but consult with the cruise line in advance.

Archived