Cozumel & Belize: HELP! what to do?!!?!

eks525

You mean the Sat. 3/3/12 . Sailing of the Liberty of the Seas.Dont get there Friday the ship won't be there.lol

Thanks Elizabeth! I was going to say the same thing. I'm on the Saturday 3/3 sailing and I sure hope the Liberty isn't leaving a day early without me!!

Interested in seeing Mayan ruins? From Cozumel, you can do Tulum; from Belize, you can do Lamanai. (Actually, there are others you can do in Belize as well; but I have no experience with them.) Both are fascinating, though I liked Lamanai better. Be advised that both of these tours involve riding on small(ish) boats. Part of the ride to Tulum is on an enclosed, air-conditioned, high-speed ferry in the open sea, which many people have gotten seasick on (not me). Part of the ride to Lamanai is on a smaller, open-sided (with a roof) motorboat (maybe 40 or 50 passengers) on a river. Both of these locations also require a bus ride of about an hour or so, each way; the bus will be a modern, air-conditioned motor coach.

Note too that these are all-day excursions. You will have little or no time to do anything else. I would strongly recommend going with the ship's tour for either of them.

If you want to just wander around the town, Cozumel is a great place to do it. There are plenty of shops and restaurants within a short taxi ride from the pier. (You could also walk it, but it's about 2 miles, IIRC. But the entire way is along the seashore.) I highly recommend Pancho's Backyard (a restaurant with an adjacent store).

DO NOT "just wander" in Belize; the area immediately outside the gates of the port is run down and very unappealing. The port itself is OK, so you'll be fine to go there to transfer to a bus for an excursion, or if you feel like riding the tender over just so you can say you stepped foot in Belize.

If you want to do an excursion in one port and just shop and eat in the other, by all means do the excursion in Belize and shop/eat in Cozumel.

I hope you have a great cruise!

The beaches in Cozumel are some of the best. I would recommend Paradise Beach over Nachi. There has been a price increase over the $ 45.00 posted here, and my last visit was not as "fantastic" as some of the review's I have read claim. :confused:

There are lots of cabs waiting at the pier to take you to where you want to go, and all the prices are clearly posted. So there is no problem getting around.

Have fun!

Archived