Dream or Magic. A topic. Discuss.

Winterstale

Haven’t been on either ship yet - I was debating between the Magic and the Breeze – could go sooner on the Magic (Breeze doesn’t get here until November) and actually prefer the Magic itinerary with the Caymans. In the end, I went for the Breeze because it was $300 cheaper for a solo passenger (hopefully it will go down, but doubt it since it will be a new ship.) I have sailed out of both Galveston and PC and I don’t see any difference at all in transportation from the airport – it is about $30 from Hobby to the port and $35 from Orlando to PC, at least if you get a transfer from the cruise line. I think from IAH to Galveston is maybe a few bucks more but I always fly Southwest so that means Hobby. I fly in the day before, stay at an airport hotel and just take the hotel shuttle back to the airport the next day to catch the cruise transfer.

I’m also from California and why I REALLY prefer Galveston is I am sick of those 5-6 hour flights both directions. Houston seems like just a hop, skip and a jump compared to Florida. However, $300 is $300.

Hey SandyatSea, which hotel do you stay at by the airport? I had never thought of that approach. Does the airport shuttle also take you to the port the day of the cruise or do you take a cab? Are you staying at the hotel when you get back off the cruise? Is that why the shuttle will take you back? Just curious, trying to figure out the most economical way to plan our trip. At this time, I was planning for the six of us (2 adults, 1 teen, 1tween, and two younger ones) to fly in the day before and catch a cab to a hotel in Galveston and then a cab back once we are back from the cruise. If anyone has a more streamlined approach, please do share.:D

Thanks for your input bruisin -- we are leaning towards the Magic -- the whole "new ship" aspect is very appealing - even though the Dream isn't exactly OLD by any standards! I'm intrigued with the new Italian restaurant, the Red Frog pub (which serves Carib beer - a HUGE selling point!), and I like the look of the pool!

I'll be on the Magic this Sunday and I can't wait to check everything out. Does the Cucina del Capitano require reservations in the evenings? We're thinking of eating there on the 2nd formal night.

Galveston is still what I consider my homeport even though I don't live in Dallas anymore. I've cruised out of there 10 times and I really like the changes to the cruise terminal. But the cost of the Magic puts it a little over my price comfort range when I can get to NOLA just as easily and since the Conquest is still my favorite ship.

Though I may be changing my mind with all the new neat things on the Magic. I was on the Dream before they implemented some of the crowd control issues like BBQ on the Lanai, and wraps at the sushi station during the day but it sounds like the Magic has implemented even more cool venues so I'm in major countdown mode..............

Just wish I could get into major PACKING mode.........but you know how the last week at work is............

Edit to Add.........It's not that I drive so slow, but I don't often go over the speed limit........I drive a corporate vehicle at work and we have VERY strict rules about vehicle safety.......even when driving our own personal vehicles.......just one or two tickets for speeding could jeopardize my job......I am required to report any moving violations, motor vehicle accidents or arrests to our Asset Protection people.

You need to get to packing!:D Have a great time!

Bon Voyage!

Hey SandyatSea, which hotel do you stay at by the airport? I had never thought of that approach. Does the airport shuttle also take you to the port the day of the cruise or do you take a cab? Are you staying at the hotel when you get back off the cruise? Is that why the shuttle will take you back? Just curious, trying to figure out the most economical way to plan our trip. At this time, I was planning for the six of us (2 adults, 1 teen, 1tween, and two younger ones) to fly in the day before and catch a cab to a hotel in Galveston and then a cab back once we are back from the cruise. If anyone has a more streamlined approach, please do share.:D

Country Inn and Suites, Houston Hobby Airport has a stay and sail package. For a little over the price of what you would pay for a standard, close to the airport accomodation, you get transportation to the hotel (from the airport) to the Cruise port from the hotel and back to the airport (or Hotel if you so desire). It comes with a breakfast :) Like you're going to need a breakfast before you cruise. La Quinta Inn, next door, also has a similar deal. I hope this answers your question. I would google both those and see what the price looks like.

t. umph

I stayed at the Marriott at Hobby (had points) - most of the hotels around the airport have free shuttles - so I flew in the day before, went to the hotel, the next morning took the hotel shuttle back to the airport and grabbed the cruise line transfer to the port. Have done that in FL as well since I always have to fly in a day early. I think it is probably cheaper this way ($30 for the transfer) than having to find your own way to a Galveston hotel when you get in the night before. I actually did a TA out of Galveston so I didn't go back to Hobby, but you could get the same airport transfer back from Carnival.

Country Inn and Suites, Houston Hobby Airport has a stay and sail package. For a little over the price of what you would pay for a standard, close to the airport accomodation, you get transportation to the hotel (from the airport) to the Cruise port from the hotel and back to the airport (or Hotel if you so desire). It comes with a breakfast :) Like you're going to need a breakfast before you cruise. La Quinta Inn, next door, also has a similar deal. I hope this answers your question. I would google both those and see what the price looks like.

t. umph

That sounds like a better deal if you can find a hotel package that incluldes transportation to the cruise port the next day.

We stayed at San Luis in Galveston. It was great. Next door is the Hilton. They have a free shuttle for them. Just pay tip. beautiful pool. Great IHOP next door. Plenty of places to eat real close reasonable. We loved the Magic.

Great question...wife & I sixty plus cruises.........stay away from Jamica.....we booked the Dream on Nov 10th ......because it offer's a cove cabin......never been in one and from the reviews they are special close to the water line and private.....while the Dream seems a bit large we'll be able to hide in our own bit of heaven.

Uglypirate

PS look up cove cabin pics/

Archived