Dream or Magic. A topic. Discuss.

Winterstale

Trying to choose between the Dream out of Port Canaveral with Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya or the Magic out of Galveston with Coz, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay - it would be in the beginning of November - any experiences in the Western Caribbean at that time of year? Which ship would you sail and why?

Thanks in advance for your input :D

Trying to choose between the Dream out of Port Canaveral with Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya or the Magic out of Galveston with Coz, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay - it would be in the beginning of November - any experiences in the Western Caribbean at that time of year? Which ship would you sail and why?

With those two itineraries I would choose the Dream.

I've been to the Western Caribbean many times in the late fall and December and the weather is great.

I don't know where you live but if you are having to fly in it's much easier and less expensive to get out to PC than it is Galveston. There are no car rental agencies open on the island on Sunday's so you have to arrange for another type of shuttle.

Galveston is about an hour south of the closest airport (Hobby) and about 1.5 hours from Intercontinental on the north side of Houston.

Magic. I have sailed the Dream. I would pick the Magic for the ship! IT has some features they have not included or added yet to the Dream. The obstacle cource and Cucina del Capitano are enough for me. Plus the Hasbro stuff looks cool. Sometimes I pick a ship for itinerary but yours are very similar so go on picking for the ship! :D

Or there's always the price factor and traveling to port to factor in.

If all things are equal - go for the Magic...

I can't wait to try. Though may end up on the Breeze first...

With those two itineraries I would choose the Dream.

I've been to the Western Caribbean many times in the late fall and December and the weather is great.

I don't know where you live but if you are having to fly in it's much easier and less expensive to get out to PC than it is Galveston. There are no car rental agencies open on the island on Sunday's so you have to arrange for another type of shuttle.

Galveston is about an hour south of the closest airport (Hobby) and about 1.5 hours from Intercontinental on the north side of Houston.

You drive way to slow. I live 15 minutes from Bush and I can make Galveston in an hour and 30-45 minutes from Hobby.:D

I haven't been on the Dream, but I was on the Magic a few weeks ago. It is a great ship.

It doesn't have the Hasbro games at this time.

We flew into Houston Hobby and it was about a 30 - 45 minute drive to Galveston. The drive from the Orlando airport to Port Canaveral is longer.

I loved the ports we stopped at. I'm not sure how the weather is in November.

I just came back from the Magic this month. We loved it. The Italian Speciality place was so good. One of the best we have ever done. I loved the Magic. It was such a great ship. Supper club was awesome as usual. We did the Italian one 4 times. It was wonderful. I would take the Magic over the Dream anyday. I loved Galveston. I was really unsure after all the reviews. You will love it. We stayed at San Luis Resort in Galveston. Beautiful place. We did Key West Nasau and Freeport. It was cool in 50's . We still had a wonderful time. We have gone out of Florida over a dozen times. It was a great change. If you need any more help, feel free to email me at ooulio@aol.com

Oh boy, this is going to be a tough one, I can tell!

If it's a choice between the ships...I have to admit that the Magic is calling my name just a LITTLE bit louder than the Dream. ;)

We're most likely flying out of LAX -- might be Burbank depending on the pricing and layovers.

Our normal vacation is a charter in the BVI - we do this at least once every year - so I'm not interested in the Eastern Caribbean route - really want to go Western -- so I guess it's going to come down to which itinerary might have the better weather...playing with fire in late October/early November, I know - particularly in Jamaica from what I understand.

Thanks for the input everybody -- would love to hear more from people who've been on either ship/itinerary.

Thanks again!! :D

I think the Magic Western Caribbean is nice with Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I have traveled in early October to Cozumel and we didn't have any problem with weather at all. It was actually really beautiful. Not too hot but still warm enough that swimming was fun. And, if you go on the Magic on the 28th, you can participate in the Halloween parties which I am so excited about.

I just came back from the Magic this month. We loved it. The Italian Speciality place was so good. One of the best we have ever done. I loved the Magic. It was such a great ship. Supper club was awesome as usual. We did the Italian one 4 times. It was wonderful. I would take the Magic over the Dream anyday. I loved Galveston. I was really unsure after all the reviews. You will love it. We stayed at San Luis Resort in Galveston. Beautiful place. We did Key West Nasau and Freeport. It was cool in 50's . We still had a wonderful time. We have gone out of Florida over a dozen times. It was a great change. If you need any more help, feel free to email me at ooulio@aol.com

I'll be on the Magic this Sunday and I can't wait to check everything out. Does the Cucina del Capitano require reservations in the evenings? We're thinking of eating there on the 2nd formal night.

Galveston is still what I consider my homeport even though I don't live in Dallas anymore. I've cruised out of there 10 times and I really like the changes to the cruise terminal. But the cost of the Magic puts it a little over my price comfort range when I can get to NOLA just as easily and since the Conquest is still my favorite ship.

Though I may be changing my mind with all the new neat things on the Magic. I was on the Dream before they implemented some of the crowd control issues like BBQ on the Lanai, and wraps at the sushi station during the day but it sounds like the Magic has implemented even more cool venues so I'm in major countdown mode..............

Just wish I could get into major PACKING mode.........but you know how the last week at work is............

Edit to Add.........It's not that I drive so slow, but I don't often go over the speed limit........I drive a corporate vehicle at work and we have VERY strict rules about vehicle safety.......even when driving our own personal vehicles.......just one or two tickets for speeding could jeopardize my job......I am required to report any moving violations, motor vehicle accidents or arrests to our Asset Protection people.

I'll be on the Magic this Sunday and I can't wait to check everything out. Does the Cucina del Capitano require reservations in the evenings? We're thinking of eating there on the 2nd formal night.

Galveston is still what I consider my homeport even though I don't live in Dallas anymore. I've cruised out of there 10 times and I really like the changes to the cruise terminal. But the cost of the Magic puts it a little over my price comfort range when I can get to NOLA just as easily and since the Conquest is still my favorite ship.

Though I may be changing my mind with all the new neat things on the Magic. I was on the Dream before they implemented some of the crowd control issues like BBQ on the Lanai, and wraps at the sushi station during the day but it sounds like the Magic has implemented even more cool venues so I'm in major countdown mode..............

Just wish I could get into major PACKING mode.........but you know how the last week at work is............

Edit to Add.........It's not that I drive so slow, but I don't often go over the speed limit........I drive a corporate vehicle at work and we have VERY strict rules about vehicle safety.......even when driving our own personal vehicles.......just one or two tickets for speeding could jeopardize my job......I am required to report any moving violations, motor vehicle accidents or arrests to our Asset Protection people.

Was just kidding with you. I drive a near two ton ambulance every day so I understand. I just live down this way and know the short cuts.:D

We made reservations for the Cucina del Capitano. You can do it once you're on the ship. I don't think there is a way to do it before then.

Winterstale: I had the same choice as you a couple of months ago. Wanted to try the Magic, Breeze or Dream. I ended up choosing the Dream-mainly for price, but I liked the iten on the Dream also. We did W Carribean last Dec, weather was fantastic. I'm looking for more roll call pals, so choose the Dream Nov 10. I am also looking for excursion pals too.:cool:

Whatever you choose-have a great time.

I think the Magic Western Caribbean is nice with Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I have traveled in early October to Cozumel and we didn't have any problem with weather at all. It was actually really beautiful. Not too hot but still warm enough that swimming was fun. And, if you go on the Magic on the 28th, you can participate in the Halloween parties which I am so excited about.

Well...there's my dilemma - we live in SoCal, so when we go to the Caribbean, we really enjoy it when it's SUPER warm! I was in the BVI this past January and found it chilly :D on a couple of days with the temps in the 70s. I'm an 80's gal :D

Yes, saw that too - we've never been to any of the places on either of these itineraries...LOL - so hard to choose between the two!!

We are also avid snorkelers -- maybe that will help for a steering point? I've heard both Grand Cayman and Cozumel are amazing for snorkeling....

Yes, saw that too - we've never been to any of the places on either of these itineraries...LOL - so hard to choose between the two!!

We are also avid snorkelers -- maybe that will help for a steering point? I've heard both Grand Cayman and Cozumel are amazing for snorkeling....

They are great for snorkeling, but even better for diving.:D

Not certified...yet :D -- also, my husband can swim but is not very confident so I usually stick with him when we snorkel so he can enjoy it more. I'll do my first dive in the BVI - he's bored with the snorkeling there by now - LOL.

That is ok, my wife will not even go into a pool if she can not touch bottom. It is good to have your own interests.:)

Was just kidding with you. I drive a near two ton ambulance every day so I understand. I just live down this way and know the short cuts.:D

I hear you......I wish I knew the short cuts, coming straight down on I-45 it seems like the traffic starts backing up at Huntsville!!!!!!!!!!! I hate going around downtown, I wish they would put an elevated road to just let you hop over it.

We made reservations for the Cucina del Capitano. You can do it once you're on the ship. I don't think there is a way to do it before then.

Does the Magic have interactive TV's for reservations or do you just go up there to the hostess station? And do you know if the Cucina is open on embarkation day? We heard that this weeks sailing is at capacity and they will likely have the MDR open on embarkation for lunch.

Does the Magic have interactive TV's for reservations or do you just go up there to the hostess station? And do you know if the Cucina is open on embarkation day? We heard that this weeks sailing is at capacity and they will likely have the MDR open on embarkation for lunch.

We went to the hostess station. I didn't look on the TV, but since it's the newest ship I would imagine it has all the fancy TV options.

Yes, the Cucina is open for lunch and dinner the 1st day. We ate lunch there on the 1st day. That's when we decided to make dinner reservations for later in the week.

The MDR is not open for lunch on embarkation day. Only the buffet and Cucina.

Haven’t been on either ship yet - I was debating between the Magic and the Breeze – could go sooner on the Magic (Breeze doesn’t get here until November) and actually prefer the Magic itinerary with the Caymans. In the end, I went for the Breeze because it was $300 cheaper for a solo passenger (hopefully it will go down, but doubt it since it will be a new ship.) I have sailed out of both Galveston and PC and I don’t see any difference at all in transportation from the airport – it is about $30 from Hobby to the port and $35 from Orlando to PC, at least if you get a transfer from the cruise line. I think from IAH to Galveston is maybe a few bucks more but I always fly Southwest so that means Hobby. I fly in the day before, stay at an airport hotel and just take the hotel shuttle back to the airport the next day to catch the cruise transfer.

I’m also from California and why I REALLY prefer Galveston is I am sick of those 5-6 hour flights both directions. Houston seems like just a hop, skip and a jump compared to Florida. However, $300 is $300.

You are in luck! We have been out of Galveston in November the last 3 years. This is how it went.

Year 1....tail end of the last of the hurricanes.

Year 2....nice weather, but windy when out to sea. Missed a hurricane by 1 day everywhere we went.

Year 3....perfect weather the whole freakin time! The weather is in the upper 70's low 80's and Grand Cayman had nice warm waters. Cozumel was a little cooler water, after 1 hour or so of snorkling, the wife and I were getting cold and called it quits.

Snorkling...love GC. The 2 places I snorkled in Coz were ok, but nothing great.

In Jamaica, I would say book an excursion. We decided to go it alone (as alone as you can be with a group of 10) and found it to be annoying with all the offers for drugs and hair braids. We had the kids with us, 4 and 5 at the time, and ended up costing just over $60 for us to get onto the beach. We decided for skipping Jamaica or doing the excursions if we end up going back there.

I have not been on either ship, but newer is better, right? Shiny and new, who would pass that up?

Winterstale, thanks for starting this thread. We are having the same dilemma. We are traveling from Las Vegas. It's cheaper from here to Houston than here to Orlando. So, that's the main reason we are choosing the Magic. It's great to hear others points of view. And I would LOVE to know the short cuts to get to Galveston quicker. We are going in August, so I'm a bit curious about the weather also. Although I don't think it can get much hotter than the 110 deg temps we have here in August. :)

Archived