Ziplining - Mahogany Park vs. Monteverde

wiseguy

We will be sailing on the Sea- Panama Canal Repo cruise in July and one of our ports in Puntarenas. We would like to go ziplining. I had heard that Monteverde is spectacular and would have liked to zipline there. I contacted Original Canopy Tours and they reccommended Mahogany Park in San Jose as it is only 1 hour from the pier and $95 pp, Monteverde is 2.5 hours and $130 pp.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice? The cost isn't really an issue....travel time might be.....we are in port 7am - 5pm and not sure if I want to be jammed in a van for 5 hours!

Anybody have any info to share...it would be appreciated!

Paul

I have done both, (and the Arundel ride). Both are thrilling experiences. Of the two, I preferred the Monteverde largely because it is located in a cool mist forest, which is a wonderful environment in itself. It also has an incredible climb literally up the inside of a huge hollow tree, and the opportunity to rappel down from a high platform. That said, it is a LOOONG drive on very poor roads that pose a realistic danger of accident or other delay. I would not risk it as a cruise excursion. The Mahogany Park is a great zip ride and the trees and gorges are spectacular. You will not be disappointed, and based on my own observations of their attention to safety, I would highly recommend these operators.

We used them in Feb/05 .......on the drive to Mahogany Park our guide was so informative about the country....the roads are very ruff with potholes....the crew that takes you ziplining at the park are just wonderful..you will also rappel at least twice...I loved it and I'm also scared of heights!!!! The quaint place they take you for lunch is super!!!! Have the fish instead of the chicken...some of the best I have ever eaten (dh had the chicken and when he tasted my fish he wished he had order it) and the fresh mango juice was delicious!! The driver and guide stopped on the way back for us to buy some coffee to take home( You can buy BRIT coffee for $5 versus $10 elsewhere closer to the port) stopped and had a couple of beers for $1 each...had a wonderful time and they will drive out on the dock and pick you up so you won't have to be mobbed by the crowd at the end of the pier!! trying to sell excursions!!

Thanks for the info regarding The Original Canopy Tour...I think Ill book it! I think I like the idea that they provide the transportation as well.

(I Don't know why this thread wasn't moved to the Costa Rica thread either.)

Thanks Again...

Paul

Paul....just thought I would tell you about what we did run into....I faxed my info(credit card) to them but when we arrived at the Park that didn't have that info...thankfully I had my credit card with me and everything went smooth from there. We could have paid cash there also. So just to feel good about things you might want to be sure and bring your cc with you just in case. He said he could have called the main office in Costa Rica and gotten that info from them but since I had mine with me I just took care of it there. Remember if you want some pictures you can give your camera to one of the guides and they will take pictures for you. We got some really great shots of us rappelling and zipping that they took for us. They will drive out on the pier and will have a sign with your name (or whoever's name that booked the tour) on it and believe me you will be thankful of that!!! Make sure you receive a time that they will meet you so you won't have to stand out on the pier waiting. It is very very hot there and much more comfortable on the ship than standing out on the pier. They picked us up at 9:00 that morning and we got back to the ship around 2:30. If you know of something you would like to purchase here tell your guide (you'll have a driver and a guide) and I'm sure he'll fix you up. Are you also stopping in Huatulco, Mexico?

Nora

Nora....

Thanks again for the great info...it's a big help. We are traveling in the NCL Sea Panama Canal repositioning cruise in July. It leaves Houston and the ports are Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Cartegena (which I heard ships don't really stop at anymore), Panama canal transit, Puntarenas Costa Rica, Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, and ends in LA. If you have any other helpful hints for any of these ports I'd truly appreciate them! I hope 15 days of fun!

Has anyone that was scheduled for Cartegena, Columbia ever made the port recently? If so....any suggestions on things to do? (besides buy drugs or get kidnapped! JK)

Thanks

Paul

Loved Cabo.........you have to visit Cabo Wabo...have a couple of Waboritas and you won't have a care in the world!!! lol and you might just miss your snorkling trip like we did !!! In Acapulco we had Roberto from the Port Authority make dinner reservations for 10 of us and I can' t begin to tell how great a place it was!!! We felt like we were in some kind of movie!! Can't remember the name of the place but he made the reservations (right on the ocean) and arranged our transportation....super nice guy. Check out the port board for Mexican Riveria and you'll find his postings. He is always on the pier when you dock. We went snorkling in Cozumel and of course a visit to Carlos & Charlies can't be missed. We loved our trip and always wanted to do 14 days because 7 just isn't enough!! You will have a ball and a trip to remember for a life time!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ziplining with The Original Canopy Tour was $95.00 each and that included the transportation and lunch(which was wonderful)!!! Huatulco is a great place to have a beach day... Where you dock is a great place to grab a umbrella and chair and sit back and relax. Had some great grilled fish and $1 Corona's there. Check out the signs advertising price and just head straight down to the beach in front of the advertised price. You will be able to walk to the stores in the little town, very pretty little park there. It is not as developed as other ports you will visit but we had a great beach day and only spent around $40 for the two of us. There is a lot of natives trying to sell stuff on the beach but just tell them no and they move on. Some things they were selling were cheaper than in the stores in town. Just go to the left off the pier.

• 4 months later...

Well after booking with original canopy tours,they cancelled on me yesterday, two days before my cruise leaves.They apparantly signed a contract with princess and wont live up to their prior commitments with customers. They would rather break our contracts than get princess mad at them. Told them not to expect our business and any referals from me on these boards. Turns out they are canadians doing business down there, found that disappointing for a poor work ethic like that.

• 1 month later...

The roads in Costa Rica are exceptionally poor. Many potholes. Also it rains sometimes and even though the distance is far it is better to be safe than sorry. We did the canopy tour but not at Monteverde. I can't remeber the name of the place but it was spectacular. It was a long way down and the planks we stood on were tiny. Some people couldn't take the heights because we went across canyons where the water below seemed like a tiny stream it was so far away. I wish I wouldn't have closed my eyes but I was really afraid standing on the little plank going from place to place. It was one of the coolest times in my life. If someone you are with gets scarred tell them to just go and not to look down. Standing still looking is what scars people. Have a great time. Fred

ended up booking with coachcostarica, what a fantastic job they did!! 7 hours with them and the cost was 70 dollars, that was including ziplining, lunch, beach and shopping! wow, and the guide juan carlos was so knowledgeable about his country and native plants and animals. Others from the ship went on the original canopy tour and were gone for 3 hours, no lunch and no stops and 7 zips, compared to our 9, and they paid 120 dollars........ they were disappointed. I would highly recommend you contact coachcostarica.com they are fantastic!!

Archived