Vacation Protection...did you buy it?

terjul

My medical only covers me ( our of state ) if it is a "life or death" situation. I actually had a coworker go skiing in another state and break her arm.. only to have to fight the insurance company tooth and nail.

That is why I AM opting for the travel insurance. ( But through AAA .. not Carnival )

"out of state" I mean.

Well after some thought--and talking with other cruisers, I did some checking on InsureMyTrip.com and decided to give travel insurance a try for our Freedom cruise in June. I decided to get the Silver policy from TravelGruard to insure the 5 of us for $186--certainly a far cry from the price Carnival charges--and $37 a head seems a reasonable fee for a little extra peace of mind. :)

Got a call from Carnival last night wanting to review the travel insurance and make sure I understand everything it covers. She said that normally 90% of the guests buy it, so I was curious, how many people actually purchase it and if so, have you ever needed it.

Cruise company insurance is a ripoff and a big profit center. The cruise companies probably make almost no money on your cabin so they have to sell you other stuff such as insurance to make their profit. If you feel that you need insurance, buy it privately.

IMHO, all you really need is medical and evacuation. All the rest is worthless. I have a policy that covers my wife and I for any trips we take (even domestically) for a full year which costs both of us about $450 total.

DON

Well after some thought--and talking with other cruisers, I did some checking on InsureMyTrip.com and decided to give travel insurance a try for our Freedom cruise in June. I decided to get the Silver policy from TravelGruard to insure the 5 of us for $186--certainly a far cry from the price Carnival charges--and $37 a head seems a reasonable fee for a little extra peace of mind. :)

You really only need it, if you need it.:D I was so glad we invested a measly $41 PP for travel insurance for that (heart attack) cruise that I have mentioned too much on here already. I'll never forget the sigh of relief that the infirmary nurse gave me when she asked if we happened to have purchased travel insurance. It was the best investment, or otherwise we would have been sunk. :eek:

Archived