Dolphin Discovery Poll

imirish

Is the dolphin discovery thing at Chankanaab really worth the $125 pp? Will be in Cozumel in late June and have four people that want to "swim with the dolphins". I've read pros and cons. What's the real scoop?

Thanks for the info.

There is no "real scoop". The vast majority of people who do the swim have a very positive experience. Some say it is the highlight of their trip. What you think of it will not necessarily be the same as some one else. Personally, now that I know more about it, I would not let my kids do it or recommend it to anyone else. In my opinion, keeping dolphins captive like that is just cruel.

Will it be worth $500 for your 4 people? I think you will have to decide that for yourself, and probably not until after they do it. You can do a lot of other things on Cozumel for much less than $500.

imirish-Yes, yes, and yes, it is so worth it. I love Dolphin's, and though I think it may be wrong to have animals in captivity, I still go to the zoo, and Sea World. As long as I feel they're being properly cared for, and not hurt in any way, I'm ok with it. For me it was a chance to be with an animal I love and could never swim with them otherwise. I was in Cozumel a few years ago, and did the Royal Swim, I actually started crying when my time was up, My friends thought I'd gotten hurt, but I was so happy to have done this. The trainers were so nice to the dolphins, I didn't fill they were being harmed at all. I will be going to Cozumel again in 2 weeks, and this was the first excursion I booked, 5 months ago. This will be just my DH and I, but I would gladly pay for my 3 boys to do this in a heartbeat if they were going. Never once did I feel nervous in the water with the dolphins.

If you need info on what is done with them, just let me know. Have you visited there website? It's www.dolphindiscovery.com in case you need it.

Archived