Mayan ruins compared to Tulum (Mexico)

imanewcruiser

Has anyone been to both the Mayan ruins in Belize and in Tulum? I've been to Tulum and loved it! How do the ones in Belize compare?

Tulum is quite far from the port in Cozumel - about 2 hours by ferry and bus - what's the travel time here?

Different! Different Maya tribes, different time periods, Both Altun Ha and Xunanutunich are (were) in jungle settings. Both inland. Also you can climb on th eruins here, unlike at Tulum.Xunanutunich is an al day excursion similar to Tulum in the time it takes. But at least on th eship excursions there's a real lunch involved. Altun Ha is closer to Belize City and often gets a city tour tacked on. It's usually around 4-5 hours, so you can do this via private vendor with some degree of comfort that you won't miss the ship (although there are no guarantees as anything can go wrongon any excursion). Doesn't leave a lot of time for other things, but as there's no beaches near the tender pier you should have time to shop and visit the Wet Lizard or othe rbars for a Belikin befor eyour ship's last tender leaves.

Different! Different Maya tribes, different time periods, Both Altun Ha and Xunanutunich are (were) in jungle settings. Both inland. Also you can climb on th eruins here, unlike at Tulum.Xunanutunich is an al day excursion similar to Tulum in the time it takes. But at least on th eship excursions there's a real lunch involved. Altun Ha is closer to Belize City and often gets a city tour tacked on. It's usually around 4-5 hours, so you can do this via private vendor with some degree of comfort that you won't miss the ship (although there are no guarantees as anything can go wrongon any excursion). Doesn't leave a lot of time for other things, but as there's no beaches near the tender pier you should have time to shop and visit the Wet Lizard or othe rbars for a Belikin befor eyour ship's last tender leaves.

I would imagine ifI booked through the ship, a tour guide would be included. I found the one in Tulum to be great - knew everything about the Mayan culture, etc. I don't want to be let loose at the site without having someone to tell me what I'm looking at. :confused:

As far as the site is concerned (not the length of the excersion), which would you recommend - Altun Ha or Xunanutunich?

We have done both and they are both great for different reasons. Tulum was great because it was the first time we saw ruins up close and the setting by the ocean was amazing.

Xunantunich was special because it was the first time we were able to really walk to the top of a Mayan pyramid and the views from there overlooking the ruins are also amazing. Check out the Ports of call link in my signature for pictures.

On a side note I would book the Xunantunich excursion through the ship due to how far away it is. This is coming from someone who hates to book excursions through the ship too. This was one of the few times it wasn't worth the risk.

We have done both and they are both great for different reasons. Tulum was great because it was the first time we saw ruins up close and the setting by the ocean was amazing.

Xunantunich was special because it was the first time we were able to really walk to the top of a Mayan pyramid and the views from there overlooking the ruins are also amazing. Check out the Ports of call link in my signature for pictures.

On a side note I would book the Xunantunich excursion through the ship due to how far away it is. This is coming from someone who hates to book excursions through the ship too. This was one of the few times it wasn't worth the risk.

You're right! Your pictures of Xunantunich looks very different than Tulum. Would the ship excursion include a tour guide?

Have you been to Altun Ha?

You're right! Your pictures of Xunantunich looks very different than Tulum. Would the ship excursion include a tour guide?

Have you been to Altun Ha?

I have not been to Altun Ha. The ship excursion did come with a tour guide who claimed he was Mayan. It's my understanding the Maya are a relatively short people. This guy was about 6'4" so needless to say we were suspect. Don't get me wrong he was enjoyable but also a bit of a hustler just making sure he got a few tips at the end.

While there we even got to see Howler monkeys and a bunch of tarantulas (don't put your hands in any holes). Also expect to see armed guards (we saw these around Tulum as well). Apparently the Guatemalans like to steal relics.

Archived