Spicelands Horseback Riding

debrycruise

Hi all --

Know there are a lot of threads on this place but didn't see the answers to my questions:

1) We'll be in Bermuda 2 days Saturday (dock at 11:30) - Sunday, but it looks like they only do rides Monday - Saturday. Anyone know if they'll do a private ride on Sunday? Still debating the order of things. Will it be too hot (end of June) to do an afternoon ride on Saturday?

2) Would it be better to do the general trailride (which I think is $80 pp) or the private ($160 pp)? I am an experienced rider (hunter/jumper), BF is not though. I might be really bored with just a walking trail ride and would like to stop and take pictures without fear of holding up a whole group. Not sure its worth the money to do a private though so any thoughts would be great.

3) What do you do with your "stuff" during the rides? Are there lockers on site or should I plan on riding with a backpack to keep the essentials on me?

Merci Beaucoup!

Hi all --

Know there are a lot of threads on this place but didn't see the answers to my questions:

1) We'll be in Bermuda 2 days Saturday (dock at 11:30) - Sunday, but it looks like they only do rides Monday - Saturday. Anyone know if they'll do a private ride on Sunday? Still debating the order of things. Will it be too hot (end of June) to do an afternoon ride on Saturday?

2) Would it be better to do the general trailride (which I think is $80 pp) or the private ($160 pp)? I am an experienced rider (hunter/jumper), BF is not though. I might be really bored with just a walking trail ride and would like to stop and take pictures without fear of holding up a whole group. Not sure its worth the money to do a private though so any thoughts would be great.

3) What do you do with your "stuff" during the rides? Are there lockers on site or should I plan on riding with a backpack to keep the essentials on me?

Merci Beaucoup!

I haven't done the Spicelands ride in a number of years, but I did it twice and loved it both times. I'm also an experienced rider, but I have come to accept that vacation rides are generally just walking because of insurance and safety. The first time I did it, many years ago, they did separate the experienced and inexperienced riders. We did a neat canter up a sandy switchback trail, and then caught up to the rest of the group, who walked a different path. The second time, it was walking only. Even just walking, it's a lovely way to look at the scenery.

I will not ride in sneakers, even if the stable allows it. I take boots of some kind, even if they're short ones that I can wear with jeans. In Bermuda, I was the only one who showed up in boots and breeches. The cool thing was, because I was the most experienced rider in the group, they mounted me first and let me lead the warmup in one of the schooling rings.

I'm not sure if they'll let you ride with a backpack. I generally have a small fannypack that I wear in front. I can slip a small point-and-shoot in there and take quick pictures as we walk. I don't carry a lot of "stuff" when I ride. In Bermuda, I went out to the stables, did the early-morning "breakfast ride," and went right back to the ship to shower and change, so I didn't need more than the little camera and some money and a credit card. And, of course, the ship's card to get back on board.

Most of the people on the ride will be inexperienced--you can tell who they are, they show up in white pants or shorts. When the group is large, they put extra guides into the group, so there's an experienced eye on everyone.

Whether you do the group ride or the private ride, definitely do one of the rides. It could be hot, but the sea breeze makes it comfortable.

Try emailing them with your questions about Sunday and the possibility of private rides. Make sure you explain that you do ride and BF does not, so they can advise you as to what's best. Ask about their hot-weather policies. They're a good establishment, and I'm sure they don't take the horses out if it's too hot.

• 3 months later...

We are going to be in Dockyard and hope to book a ride with our group of 6 (newbies). Could you help me with the time? We wish to ride at 8:00am, and I believe we have to be there 30 minutes prior. What is a safe estimate that we will be able to arrive back at Dockyard? This will be our short day in Bermuda, we have to be on our ship in the afternoon and would like to hopefully see and experience a little more before we leave.

Any info greatly appreciated :)

We are going to be in Dockyard and hope to book a ride with our group of 6 (newbies). Could you help me with the time? We wish to ride at 8:00am, and I believe we have to be there 30 minutes prior. What is a safe estimate that we will be able to arrive back at Dockyard? This will be our short day in Bermuda, we have to be on our ship in the afternoon and would like to hopefully see and experience a little more before we leave.

Any info greatly appreciated :)

If you wish to be at Spicelands by 7:30am, by a route #8 bus, you would have to depart the Dockyard at 6:35am. The next bus is at 7:05am. Travel time is about 35 minutes. Of course, you could go by taxi.

I would estimate the travel time by taxi at 15-20 minutes and the fare for 6 passengers would be in the range of $30-$35.00.

If the ride starts on schedule, 8:00am, and the tour is 90 minutes or less, then by 10:00am you should be on the your way back to the Dockyard by bus or taxi arriving there 10:45-11:00am.

SBtS

If you wish to be at Spicelands by 7:30am, by a route #8 bus, you would have to depart the Dockyard at 6:35am. The next bus is at 7:05am. Travel time is about 35 minutes. Of course, you could go by taxi.

I would estimate the travel time by taxi at 15-20 minutes and the fare for 6 passengers would be in the range of $30-$35.00.

If the ride starts on schedule, 8:00am, and the tour is 90 minutes or less, then by 10:00am you should be on the your way back to the Dockyard by bus or taxi arriving there 10:45-11:00am.

SBtS

Just adding that Spicelands will arrange the taxi if you decide to go with one.

• 2 months later...
Should you tip the tour guide on the ride? Do not want to do the wrong thing

My daughter and I did the group trail ride in June and I tipped the guide. I think I gave him $10. If I recall correctly he does mention something about tipping at the end of the ride. They're really nice there even when I freaked out a bit at the size of the horse they gave me.

• 2 weeks later...

We just rode at Spicelands this past Monday. An 11:00 AM Monday ride, so my response here isn't totally on-topic for you. We tipped our guide $10 also. We didn't see any lockers, but we left our non-valuables in a beach bag in the office while we were on our ride. I carried a small ruggedized waterproof camera while in the saddle.

You can see my review at this link (so I don't cross-post). Cheers!

...Karl

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35590265&postcount=45

I am worried about riding on the streets knowing how fast cars drive over there and small the roads are, was that part OK?

The streets we rode along were very quiet residential streets, so I don't think you need to worry about those. We did cross one fairly busy 2-lane road to get to the beaches, and the same road once again returning, but there were good long-distance sight lines in both directions and Theresa was very careful to pick a break in the traffic when all three horses could calmly walk across that road.

...Karl

Archived