Questions about reimbursement process with some insurance policies

boogs

I've been receiving information from my home health insurance provider which informs me that I am fully covered while overseas at the same coverage levels as within their normal coverage area. The only caveat is that they will only reimburse me for expenses instead of arranging for payment at the time of the incident since is would be "out of area".

To anyone who has had to deal with a medical emergency while overseas and was reimbursed by your regular provider after the event, how did you deal with payment for the emergency services as they happened? Did the hospital bill you? Did they require payment before you were discharged? Or was some other arrangement made?

My health insurance policy will cover all emergency care required, including evacuation to a hospital that can handle the emergency. Because it would be "out of area", they will not prepay, arrange for payment, nor officially guarantee payment to the hospital in question. It is up to me to pay or be billed directly, and then be reimbursed.

I've done a lot of research on insurance policies. In all the information I have read to date, I have not read a single thing about people's experience with the payment/reimbursement process. Without that missing information, I really don't know if I should purchase additional insurance or not.

I understand that there are travel policies I can purchase that will arrange for payment directly to the hospitals. I may indeed pay the extra several hundred dollars to purchase one of those policies. But before I do, I want to fully understand how the payment/reimbursement process works if I use my existing insurance policy which already will cover all my expenses and at a higher limit than most travel policies would cover. Since I am already fully covered, I am hesitant to pay even more than I already am for an additional policy that in the end will cover the same situations as my existing policy will. If I don't have to spend more money than necessary, I would prefer not to.

But, it's looking like I may have to pay for two policies, the second only for the convenience of not having to pay out of pocket. And I need to be careful since many travel policies will only reimburse, just like my home policy does, which would gain me zero value for the extra money spent.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give!

I understand that there are travel policies I can purchase that will arrange for payment directly to the hospitals. I may indeed pay the extra several hundred dollars to purchase one of those policies.

Several hundred? For the plans that will pre-pay for admission to a hospital or to be treated you can buy them with no trip cancellation coverage for way less than "several hundred dollars." Depending on your age it could be as low as about $30 up to maybe $75. And that would include the evacuation and repatriation coverages you don't have. If your regular health plan is like most others they won't pre-pay for an evacuation and they won't reimburse for a repatriation.

2 additional questions to ask your home health insurance provider

1. So, they will reimburse you to be evacuated to the nearest hospital for emergency care.....

However,,,, will they then pay for you to be transported back to a hospital of your choice (home) for required continuation of care? ( ie you're in a coma and the wife wants to take you back home)

2. Worst case scenario,, you die. Will your insurance provider reimburse you for repatriation of your remains back home?

In both instances above,,, my United Healthcare coverage will not provide help or coverages.

Archived