Is this too much for DIY mykonos?

Aggie Docs 10&12

So our cruise ship is in port from 7am-6pm.

We were thinking of doing Delos, exploring the town and getting to one of the beaches. Is this all possible without being super rushed? We plan on getting off the ship ASAP.

Thinking about seeing the windmills and a little of town then going to Delos.

It looks like the Boats to Delos run at 9, 10, and 11 and return at 12:15, 1:30, and 3. Was thinking about doing the 9 or 10 and catching the 12:15 back. Is this enough time there? How much time do we need to budget in Delos?

After getting back either eat and see more of town and then go to the beach or should we go the beach eat there and then see town on our way out.

I hope I haven't missed a thread describing doing all three. Thanks.

I think it would be possible to do all three. If you get to town early enough you can walk around a bit before catching the 9:00 ferry. You really only need about 2 hours in Delos. The only problem I foresee is carrying all your beach stuff all day. If you can keep it light then go for it. You will need to walk through Mykonos Town to catch the bus to the beach. I would however take a taxi from the beach back to the ship. Here is what I wrote about our day in Mykonos in 2008. Times and ticket prices may have changed.

Mykonos , Today we planned to take the ferry to Delos and walk around town. We paid to take the ship shuttle into town because we knew the road was very narrow and the traffic was heavy. Unfortunately we just missed the 9:00 ferry so we walked around a little while and bought tickets for the 10:00 ferry. These ferries get crowded so I wouldn’t wait until the last minute to get a ticket. The ferry was 12E PP which was more than the guide books quoted. The ride was 45 minutes and we had to buy tickets to Delos for 5E when we got off. We thought the ferry ticket included our admission and so did a lot of other people. Of course with everyone getting off the ferry the line for tickets was pretty long but it moved pretty quickly. The only WC is in the museum or on the ferry. Ask for a map which is pretty good and the signage is good also. We walked around both routes saw the museum and climbed to the highest point in a little over 2 hours and took the 1:30 ferry back. We got to see most of the main sites but we did not read all the signs as they were pretty lengthy. Since it was May it was not too hot but I would think in the summer it would be. There is a snack bar at the museum. This is a large site that requires a lot of walking on uneven paths that are not well maintained. I had also read a lot of the history of Delos before we went so we had no trouble without a guide. In May there were only three ferries a day to Delos (9,10&11) but I would think they add more in summer. Return ferries were at 12, 1:30,& 3:00. We enjoyed Delos very much. The ruins, scenery, and wildflowers were beautiful. After we returned to Mykonos we had lunch and wandered around the streets up to the windmills and back around past where you can get the bus to the beach. It was too late to go to the beach so we headed back to the ship.

Archived