Anyone fly from New Jersey or NY to Alaska?

Royal Addiction

Work schedules limit the amount of time we can spend pre-cruise. Cruise leaves on a Friday from Seward and we wanted to spend 2 nights in Denali and one night in Seward so we can do the Kenai Fjords the day of the cruise. We'd also need 1 night in Anchorage because driving directly from Denali to Seward is very long, and may be in the dark. It's best if we fly into Alaska, immediately rent a car, and drive to Denali before spending a night somewhere.

Question: Flying from Philly or Newark to Anchorage: It would be nearly impossible to have the energy to get in a car and drive to Denali from the Anchorage airport, right?

I thought about flying into Fairbanks since it's only 120 miles from there to Denali but I'm having trouble seeing if something other than a 15 hour flight will be available. We're not going until Sept. 2013, and to check for it this year, it's only showing a very long flight.

Which airport to fly into would make best use of our time?

Work schedules limit the amount of time we can spend pre-cruise. Cruise leaves on a Friday from Seward and we wanted to spend 2 nights in Denali and one night in Seward so we can do the Kenai Fjords the day of the cruise. We'd also need 1 night in Anchorage because driving directly from Denali to Seward is very long, and may be in the dark. It's best if we fly into Alaska, immediately rent a car, and drive to Denali before spending a night somewhere.

Question: Flying from Philly or Newark to Anchorage: It would be nearly impossible to have the energy to get in a car and drive to Denali from the Anchorage airport, right?

I thought about flying into Fairbanks since it's only 120 miles from there to Denali but I'm having trouble seeing if something other than a 15 hour flight will be available. We're not going until Sept. 2013, and to check for it this year, it's only showing a very long flight.

You need more time, with this being way over a year away, I would suggest you find a way to add the time. No it is not a good idea to consider a 6 hour drive, with at least another hour for shopping, meal etc. Then heading out on an all day shuttle bus?? How enjoyable do you think that will be?

You have chosen RCI, but you also must know that in Sept. it is way superior to route on a northbound sailing, sailing no later than the first week of Sept. Why not look for a Sat or Sun sailing if you can't add time??

Alaska airlines flies from Newark to Anchorage all the time. They do not have their 2013 Sept schedule out, but it should not be much different from the 2012. Most flights go to Seattle-a 5 hour flight and then from Seattle to Anchorage-about 3-3.5 hours.

As for driving to Denali after flying from New York-I say fuggetaboutit.

It is at least a three hour drive to the south end of the park and a 5 hour drive to the park itself.

Come to Anchorage-compared to New York, it is a small town. Go to a nice hotel like the Captain Cook, downtown and relax. Then you can go to Denali.

Also,keep in mind that once you are in Denali, it is at least an 8-9 hour drive from Denali to Seward. Better plan ant least 2 extra days.

One to get to Anchorage and spend the night. And one to get from Denali to Seward.

It will be a big mistake not to take the extra time. If you don't you will end up exhausted, frustrated and you will come up short on what you want to see and do.

BQ, gave you the wrong date. Cruise leaves 8/30/13, and with all the points I have on the RCI Visa card, I need to use them for this cruise. :)

There are tons of RCI crusies, I'm Diamond, and sail with them a couple times every year. As far as I know, the "points" don't expire anyway.

Your current plan is not good, you need more time. As I said the way to prehaps get it would be to consider a Sunday sailing- HAL maybe? Otherwise, you will need to cut back on your plans.

We are traveling to Alaska this year as a family of 4. I live in the NY metro area. After much research we decided to fly Alaska Air from Newark to Fairbanks, with a change of planes in Seattle. On the way back we are leaving from Vancouver and flying direct to Newark. I too have to keep vacation days off in mind and was able to figure a way to get extra days in my vacations by using holidays like july 4th and/ or labor day to minimize the actual days off while extending the overall vacation. Just realize that my strategy causes us to travel on premium weeks and therefore increases the price of the overall trip. Life is full of trade offs.... you just have to pick the one that will work best for you!

I found that there were a lot more flights (with better times) flying from Newark to Anchorage, as opposed to Newark to Fairbanks.

Our plan - approx 9 am flight Newark-Seattle-Anchorage on a Wednesday. Arrive Anchorage about 4 pm. Realize that 4 pm Alaska = 8 pm in NJ. Sleep 2 nights in Anchorage (Wed. night and Thurs nite) and try to adjust to the 4 hour time difference. Then you can take early train on Friday to Denali and spend 2 nights there.

I agree with the above posts - after getting up early on flight day, travelling all day, and adjusting to the 4 hour time difference, you won't want to drive to Denali the day you arrive.

Upon further research, we are going to do a night flight...something that leaves around dinner time. We will get in around 1 am, and spend that night in an Anchorage hotel. We are actually considering NOT going to Denali after all. We are more attracted to the Kenai Peninsula and Prince William Sound type of scenery, and think we'll concentrate on that whole area, but thank you East Coast friends!!!

Archived