Misty Fjords - Plane or Boat?

sarsmile

Does anyone have any recommendations about the best way to see Misty Fjords?

If we took a plane, we would either do a standard flightseeing through the cruise line or something like Island Wings which gives you more time on the ground. Both about 2 hours total.

The boat would be the Wilderness Explorer, which is a 4-hour trip on the fast catamaran - Allen Marine, I think.

We will be doing both plane and boat trips in other places, so the question is which one will let us see the most interesting things - wildlife, glaciers, scenery, etc. Has anyone done both and can compare?

I give an edge to the flightseeing as the combo trips usually take up most if not all of the port time. Especially for a first time visitor- the town is worth a look. :) I highly recommend an independent for the floatplanes.

Unfortunately our ship doesn't offer the combo, and we're a little reluctant to book independently with so little leeway on time. We only have 6 hours total in Ketchikan, so if there was a delay on either end it would be tricky. If we did try and book the combo independently, is there a good company to do that with? I know Island Wings only does the flights...

Any additional advice on choosing one over the other would be great, since I'm guessing we'll stick with that. Thanks for your help so far!

Archived